Parents' Association    
Old Pharosians    

Last year's "Pharos", in its new format, was favourably received, and even, occasionally, praised. Those who made kind comments were thinking mainly of the lay-out and illustrations, and for these we have to thank Mr. Carter and the boys who provided the visual material. A school magazine must provide a record of the school's activities, but this could be done on sheets of cyclostyled typescript. Few would read them, apart from the bits which held a special interest for the reader concerned.

The magazine also gives an opportunity for us to reproduce some of the literary efforts of boys in the school, but these also are made more attractive by skilful lay-out and illustration.
Under the system we now use for producing the magazine, we send our material to Plaistow Press Magazines Ltd., who "print" it photographically in the type and column-width we have decided, and send us a copy for corrections. When these corrections have been made, the material comes back to us together with pagecards of the size of our magazine. This is the point at which the Art Department takes over. The printed material is cut up and arranged as desired, and, together with the drawings and photographs, is stuck on the pagecards. The completed cards are sent back to the printers, who photograph them and reproduce them by a process known as offset lithography.
Your ed'itor, of course, has the less glamorous role of persuading various people, in the last few weeks of the summer term, to let him have their material, and of spending part of the holidays laboriously converting into typescript the more or less legible bits and pieces of paper that he has received. At the time of writing, he has still not received all the material. and if he has not received it before the deadline set by the printers, then there may be gaps in the record, for which he refuses to apologise.
Another problem is the size of the magazine; the number of words which can be fitted into a 36-page magazine is limited, and if this limit is exceeded, the next possible size is one of 48 pages, which is far too expensive for us. Which seems to be a suitable point for me to end my own contribution.


The prophets of gloom predict a tough year, but we are optimistic. We have a full staff and useful equipment. Much of what we planned is now in use. The Music Room has helped to revive that love of good music which has been a tradition of this school, and the new Biology Laboratory maintains a flow of scientists which is so much needed now. The Elnor Library is a valuable collection of books, and in spite of the distractions, a fair amount of private study is accomplished there. The School Bookshop has been a notable success, thanks to Mrs. Golding, Denis Weaver and the boys.
We have struggled with vast numbers and a varied intake. The first year is really a sort of marshalling yard to persuade them to sit down. Despite our range of ability, however, which would defeat many grammar schools, we try to tackle the whole man, and wonder at his many skills. The workshops remain open night after night, and the pottery kiln is always full. The Art Department presented the decor, delightfully, at the May Ball, and the personal projects of many boys have been outstanding. We shall have six candidates for Oxbridge, in Geography, Modern Languages and Engineering Science. Perhaps the most notable growth has been in the Outdoor Pursuits department, where we are setting an example for Kent.
There are so many to thank. First, Mr. T. S. Walker, the Deputy Head, who retires this year. He is a distinguished academic, but it is his wise and friendly guidance throughout the school which has earned him so much friendship and respect. All the staff have worked beyond the normal limits, as ifthe preparation of lessons were not enough, and this encourages both parents and old boys to join us as well. Already, we invite

parents to come to the Environmental Studies lessons f() the First Year, and we hope to enrol some for Sixth For classes. Economics may well be a likely area, especiall now that Mr. Killbery has his well-equipped centre opened last March by Professor Hagenbach.'
I must thank the Old Pharosians for their mos generous donation of 1 ,000 to provide two new stops for the School Organ, which will complete the work begun. by them in 1931. The organ will then be one of the finest instruments in any school, and we shall have a Recital of Celebration.
The Parents Association have also given most valuable support this year, much of it in finance, but, most significant, as encouragement, advice and entertainment.
There is so much controversy about young people and schools, much of it uninstructed. The "Pharos" reaches boys, parents and Old Boys. If any of these is concerned about the state of education, then they can show it by talking to the staff and/ or offerinl! to helD.

This year is the 25th anniversary of the Combined Cadet Force and we celebrated it in June with a week-end of inter-section competition at the Depot, Royal Marines, Deal.
The Naval Section must be congratulated on an almost hundred per cent turn-out at a time when Senior Cadets were already in the throes of external examinations. It shows a fine spirit which, I hope, will be emulated by the other two sections in the future.
Teams of eight took part in the following activities: drill, full-bore rifle shooting, an assault course, a navigation exercise, an initiative exercise, potted sports, cricket, football, volley-ball, basket-ball and swimming. The final results were as follows:
RN Section, 36 points; Army Section, 36 points; RAF Section, 26 points.
CSM Wyatt of the Army Section and PO Danican of the Naval Section received the Lucas- Tooth Memorial Shield on behalf of their sections.
Our congratulations to Under-Officer Trevor Pearce of the RAF Section who received a certificate from the Air Officer Commanding for outstanding services to the CCF. Trevor is also the first cadet for many years to represent the area in the Annual Air Cadet Exchange to America - a fitting tribute to one who has given such inspired leadership to his section for the last two years.
We were very pleased to welcome Air Commodore Seymour CBE as the Inspecting Officer at our Annual Inspection in March. As last year, the day's programme was organised completely by the Senior Cadets of the three sections and all cadets must be congratulated on maintaining the very high standard set last year.
We enter a new school year stronger numerically than we have been for some time but we are still short of Officers to fill vacancies in the Naval and RAF Sections.

The Section has grown considerably. The fifteen new members have all passed the AB's test and are taking an active interest in activities - the emphasis again being on boats and sailing.
This year, in addition to the S.E. Area Regatta,.we have won the National Championship for A.S.c. dinghies in competition with 46 units from all over Great Britain, thanks to lain Thomas and his junior crew members.
In late October the Section, augmented by the Army Section (a total of 25), undertook a short week-end expedition to France. The aim was to walk the coastline from Calais to Boulogne, camping for the Saturday night. This was a successful venture and, it is hoped, will become an annual event.
A Field Day was spent with the Royal Marines, Poole, doing amphibious exercises. This was a very exciting day. The highlight came when the Section formed part of a landing party during which the rigid raiders drove at full speed on to the beach before disgorging the assault force.
During the year all except two members of the Section have attended camps or courses on seamanship, sailing, range firing, flying etc., in places as far apart as Malta, Loch Ewe in N.W. Scotland, Portsmouth, Yeovilton and Plymouth, from where the annual summer cruise departed for the Channel Islands and St. Malo. This year we sailed a magnificent new Ohlsen 35 which has replaced the forty-year-old "Gauntlet" we had last year. The cruise included four night passages in addition to day sailing. More than half the time was spent actually under way, and a distance of360 miles was covered.
Another highlight of the year was when, at short notice, twelve cadets made the passage from Chatham to Portsmouth in HMS Dido. Exercises were carried out en route, and it was interesting to see the sea boat lowered.

The unit has been fortunate to be allocated an Admiralty Fleet Tender for a week, and at the time of writing, to complete the year's activities, twelve cadets are looking forward to a week cruising in the Clyde area.
.- .N.R.K.

This year saw a change in the command structure, with Major R A. Roeren assuming the leadership of the section. One ofthe more significant effects of this change was evidenced in the greater participation by senior N.c.Os. in determining and executing section policies.

This year has seen the largest intake for some time, with more than thirty Third Formers expressing a desire to join the'section.
During the Autumn Term we took several trips to the .22 rifle training theatre at Connaught Barracks. There every cadet had several opportunities to fire. We also had a Field Day at the United States Air Force Base at Bentwaters, near Ipswich, which provided a welcome comparison with RA.F. base routine, including a nottoo-welcome first tasting of American root beer. Flying was unfortunately hampered by the weather, and consequently flying was limited during this term.
The main event of the Spring Term was the Easter Camp at RA.F. Cottesmore. Twenty cadets plus Major Roeren enjoyed a well-organised week, marred only by the weather which consisted mainly of alternate peltings of rain and snow. These conditions reduced flying opportunities; however, most of our cadets managed to fly in either a Chipmunk or an Argosy.

We also visited the Search and Rescue Helicopter Unit at Manston during the term, and several cadets were winched up into the helicopter and flew round the area. All cadets visited the radar facilities at the control tower.
During the summer term the Royal Marines gave us a demonstration of fire power at Kingsdown range which involved familiarisation with rifles, machine guns and mortars. Flying at last got off the ground with thirty cadets being flown in Chipmunks. We missed many cadets during the examinations and this was the main reason for a disappointing turn-out at the inter-section camp held in June at the Royal Marines Depot in Deal.
Our last few meetings were enlivened by a game of softball and an excellent barbecue provided by Major and Mrs. Hoeren at their house.
Finally congratulations must be extended to Under Officer Trevor Pearce who has been awarded an International Air Cadet Exchange. For this he will spend almost a month in America at the RA.F.'s expense. He will travel first to Germany, where he will stay at the Holiday Inn in Wiesbaden. He will then fly via the U.S.A.F. to the United States, where he will visit bases, homes and cities in New York, Washington D.e. and various locations in Iowa.
P. Freathy. F/Sgt. ARMY SECTION
The Section remains strong with a nucleus of good NCOs and an encouraging intake of new recruits. All junior cadets are well up to proficiency standard and we can expect good results in the coming examination early next term.
In addition to our normal training programme we have had four week-end camps this year with a wide range of interesting activities.
We have said goodbye to a number of Senior Cadets and in particular we say thank you to Under-Officer Stephen Graves and CSM Maddison for their fine example ofleadership of the Section.

The highlight of the year is of course the Annual Camp, and approximately forty Cadets attended this year's camp at Penhale, Cornwall, during the last week in July. It was a great success and thanks must be given to the masters involved for their organisation, not forgetting Mr. Julian Rainbow, an Old Cadet, whose military knowledge proved invaluable. The new cadets also deserve a mention for their hard work and great enthusiasm.
Activities within the training areas included several patrolling exercises, orienteering, shooting (SLR, .303, .22), canoeing, climbing and abseiling, assault course work and initiative exercises, most of which were in the form of competitions. One of the most popular activities was swimming, so the two-mile-long beach which formed part ofthe training area was used daily.
The highlight of the training was a trip to the Royal Marines Commando Unit at Bickleigh, where all cadets went round the Tarzan course which included a "death slide", the longest aerial ropeway in England.
Besides training, there were trips out of camp. Eleven cadets visited the Air Day at RN Culdrose while the remainder had a sightseeing trip up the River Penryn.
The week's training ended with a 24-hour exercise
which, although tiring, was enjoyed by all. CSM Wyatt
Sgt. Arman.

(The article below is reproduced from the "Faversham
Times" of 19th December, 1974 by kind permission of the Editor)
by Mark Gardner
Many a professional repertory company of good
standing has stumbled and fallen in the dark woods of "Arden of Faversham", a notoriously difficult play to present.
"Arden" works on two levels simultaneously: it has an abundance of ripe and bawdy comedy yet the theme is a serious one - foul, brutal, premeditated murder.
Striking a right balance between these elements is made more awkward by the fact that the villains hired to execute the crime are also the buffoons of the piece.
Given this built-in complication and other inherent problems which the play presents, it is nice to see schoolboys taking on the challenge of such a work and making a splendid job of it.
"Arden of Faversham" was staged by the Dover Grammar School for Boys (with three girls recruited for the occasion) last week, and their production was excellent.
Even though this anonymous - though Shakespeare must surely have had a hand in it
Elizabethan domestic tragedy had been somewhat abridged, none of the essentials were sacrificed and director Peter Beverley, who had obviously studied the play carefully, provided some tellingly original touches.
I especially approved of his symbolic gesture in giving Alice and Mosby an apple to bite. And Arden saying grace before eating his poisoned broth - absolutelyauthentic.

The boys entered into the spirit of the piece with great gusto - especially the sword-play and the amusing bits of business which fall to Black Will and Shakebag.
Dean Alien gave a thoughtful interpretation of Thomas Arden, the ex-mayor who, we quickly realise, is a doomed man. Elizabeth Wakefield coped calmly with the tricky role of Alice, a woman full of contradictions; a murderess who repents within minutes of helping to kill her husband.
Julian Woolhouse, as Alice's lover Mosby, projected him as a spiteful, sensual and selfish individual.
So many of the characters in HArden" ARE thoroughly nasty. We can feellittIe sympathy for Arden himself for he has schemed and cheated other men out of their lands.
In fact the only completely blameless person is Franklin, Arden's friend, played by Neil Harvey. Arden never deserved a companion so loyal.
lan Wallis (Black Will) and Tony Blythe (Shakebag) made an entertaining knockabout team as the incompetent assassins who bodge chance after chance of doing away with Arden.
The supporting players maintained the standard, and full marks to Graham Donaghy (Clarke and Ferryman), Christopher Nash (Bradshaw), Ken Bailey (Greene), Terry Deal (Richard Reede) and Maria Griffiths (Susan) for their sound contributions.
Brian Ainger (Adam Fowle), Tim Harris (a Michael who had to take plenty of knocks and insults), Peter Wicks (Peter), Paul Nettlingham (Apprentice), Adrian Park (Lord Chainy), Christopher Nash (Mayor), and Hilary Weaver (Hostess) also gave neat portrayals.
Not forgetting the "crowds" who lent atmosphere to various London and Faversham scenes: Steven Rickwood, Anthony John, Alan Hornsey, Mark Janaway, Joseph Holyer, Jeremy Reed, David Pudney, Martin Catt, Tony Coleman, and Andrew Stokes.

Despite limited space the play was expertly stagemanaged while the black and white half-timbered set was both imaginative and functional - an extremely professional design by Nicholas Clarry, John Webster and Graham Bullock.
Costumes were colourful and accurate, the music (arranged by Alan Smith with "Alice's Theme" an original by the director) was most apt and the various effects (sound and visual) were a constant delight. The "fog" over Rainham Down positively chilled us to the marrow.
In short, it was a pleasure to welcome" Arden of
Faversham" back to Kent after a number of years' absence. It is a play that gains in depth each time you see it and the Dover boys are to be commended for supplying new insights into an intriguing piece of theatre.

In last year's report I was able to praise the school for the good attendance at Council meetings. Unfortunately this year it is my duty to describe the attitude of the entire school as one of outstanding apathy. The School Council depends on a lively interest from all levels of the school for its function to be worthwhile, but on more than one occasion this year this interest has been sadly lacking. The rules of the constitution, stating that at least two thirds of full membership must attend for a meeting to take place, had to be suspended for any meeting to be held at all.
However, when it did meet, under the efficient leadership of the chairman, Philip Harding, there was a wide variety of topics discussed, including cars on the school hill, the school buses, sports, school photos and the raising offunds - this time for a mini-bus.
As always, grants were made to societies - perhaps the most successful and worthwhile of the Council's activities - helping societies to continue and thrive without excessive membership fees. Recipients this year were the Christian Union, the Photography Society and a newcomer to the scene, the Astronomical Society.
It is to be hoped that in future years, perhaps with some added concern from Form Masters in ensuring that their form's representative does attend, the Council will find new strength and enthusiasm.
Steve Whaley, Secretary.
I must, I feel, return Steve Whaley's compliment and place on record the thanks of the Council for the capable way in which he has carried out the secretarial duties of the Council for the past three years.
Philip Harding, Chairman.

This year the History Society has shown a number of films on Thursdays at lunchtime, including three from the series "America" by Alistair Cooke, and films about James Cook, Chaucer, the history of printing, and Canada in the nineteenth century. The two best-attended films were those concerning life in Ancient Egypt and the excavation of Sandal Castle. However, a talk on the Causes of the English Civil War by Keith Russell, an Old Boy of the school, proved the most popular of all the meetings. Some girls from the Girls Grammar School came to the talk; in return we were invited to some of their meetings.
Despite the excellence and popularity of Mr. Russell's talk, however, attendance at many meetings was not high enough to be really encouraging, and it is hoped that in future they will be more keenly supported, especially by the Sixth Form.
J. Parry (Secretary)

The Phoenix Society has held seven meetings this year, and the range of topics covered has been, as always, wide. Mr. Slater has, in this past year as President, displayed the qualities that make him a worthy successor to Mr. King. At the first meeting, two Old Boys of the school, David Elleray and Clive Hyland, talked to the Society about life at University, and the large number of questions asked reflected the interest of the members in this subject. The next meeting was one of the best of the year, when a member of the Samaritans spoke at length about her organisation; this provoked a long and absorbing discussion which all those present found most informative. For the last meeting of the Autumn Term we were invited to Mr. Hoeren's house to hear a very interesting talk on the conflicting forces which decided the making of United States foreign policy. The talk was much appreciated, as were Mrs. Hoeren's generous refreshments.
During the rest of the year, we discussed religion and music, and invited two other speakers, Mr. King, who spoke on the E.E.c., and Mr. Killbery on Socialism. All four evenings were a great success, due largely to the blunt, lively and heated discussions which followed from the great differences of opinion expressed by the members, with more than a sprinkling of sarcasm and backbiting on some occasions. Yet such discussion, after all, is the object of the Society, and although the attendance was not always as high as was hoped, the prospects for next year are good, and the success of every meeting shows that the change of President has made no difference to the continuing popularity of the longestrunning hit in the history of the school, now entering its fortieth year.
J. Parry, Secretary.

At the start of the Autumn Term the Chess Club received great support, with over fifty boys becoming members, and this support continued well into the Spring Term, boys often having to be turned away owing to all the sets being in use.
Two junior teams were raised from the membership, and although they did not enjoy all the success that they deserved, they played well against the tough opposition with which they were faced.
A senior team was also raised, but unfortunately suffered an early defeat in the Kent League, yet despite this disappointment played well and reached the third round of the Sunday Times National Tournament.
We would like to express our thanks to the members of the Lower Sixth who helped to run the club during the dinner-hour.

This year has been quite an active one in the life of the club and has seen a most encouraging increase in membership and support.
The most notable achievements have been an outing to the Science Museum with members of the Natural History Society, a visit to several of the main London termini, various talks and discussions and, most notable of all, perhaps, the building and establishment of a model railway layout.
Many boys put in a tremendous amount of their own time and effort in the building ofthis layout and it is very

much to their credit that is was praised very highly by visitors to the School Spring Fair when it was exhibited in the Science Department. Since that exhibition the layout has been moved to the new CCF hut and at present is in process of being redesigned and rebuilt. We are very grateful to Mr. Bird, Mr. Kaufmann and to the members of the CCF for allowing us to make use of the hut for this purpose.
Thanks are also due to the many parents and supporters who have helped us during the year, and in particular we would like to thank Mrs. Heathwood who continues to send us a monthly copy of the "Railway Modeller", and Mr. and Mrs. Beckett, who very kindly gave up a large amount of their own time to help us with the Spring Fair exhibition. Mr. Beckett's most beautiful and superb model steam engine was a major attraction - to members as well as to visitors!
It is hoped that the Club will continue to grow and to flourish under the leadership of Mr. Haines in the coming year and that, like the Natural History Society, it will soon become a fully established tradition and part of the school.
K.R.J., RH.

Pleasant sailing weather, despite a lot of wind from the NE rather than the SW, has been a feature of this season, and with the initiation of the new Enterprise dinghy Mr. Ee to the water a "fast fibreglass racing machine" is in the making if the right driver gets on board. This new boat was bought as a bare fibreglass hull, and the wooden decks and fittings have been made and fitted in the school workshops during the winter

Saturday morning sessions. Anthony Smither has been a leading light in getting the boat ready for the beginning of the season. Boat maintenance is a major subject facing Sailing Club members and officials, and it is hoped that the replacement of the wooden-hulled "Miss Fytte" with the glass-reinforced plastic "Mr. Ee" will allow greater time for the winter theory work and hence improve our time afloat in the summer. Unfortunately it was several weeks after the beginning of the season before all the school club boats were ready for use this summer.
Regular sailing sessions have been held each Friday evening and Saturday morning, supported on most occasions by a strong group of first-year boys who have progressed well during the season and gained their R. Y.A. elementary certificates at the end of the summer term. Special events that have added interest to the season started with the Junior Helmsmen's event for Mirror dinghies at Birling, near Maidstone, held in frostbite conditions where Nic Dean-Webb and Marco Pearce enjoyed themselves. The highly successful sponsored sail in Dover Harbour was a day of tremendous contrasts in weather with sun, thunderstorm, calm and wind that kept the 38 sailors on their toes throughout the day.
School competitions have been keenly fought although the numbers taking part have been a little lower than in previous years:
Johnson Cup for First Year Helmsmen and Gill Cup
for Lower and Middle School. . . Anthony Smither Lock Trophy (School Championship) and Bevan
Cup (Single-handed). . . Nic Smither M.J.S.


The Society continues to go from strength to strength, though one or two of our recent meetings have not been so well supported as usual, possibly as a result of other activities within the school this term.
Our activities this year have included various films on topics of general interest, a most interesting and well illustrated talk by Andrew Oxford on poisonous plants, a clifftop ramble to St. Margaret's, another most interesting talk by Clive Rolfe on his recent expedition to Wales, an outing to the Science and Natural History Museums in London, work on recording bird-songs and on bird observation in general, collection and study of plankton from Dover Harbour, a study of clouds and weather forecasting, study of wild flowers around the school grounds and general field work.
As always, we are deeply indebted to a number of friends, many of whom are parents of members, for their active support and encouragement in our work, and, in particular, to Mr. and Mrs. Rolfe, Messrs. Coombey, Cox, Critchett, Bradley and Donald, Mr. and Mrs. Oxford, Mr. Payne, Mr. and Mrs. Wake, Mr. Benson and Philip Lightman. To these, and all who have helped us in any way, we say, once again, "Thank you".
Two new offshoots of the Society have been formed during the year as a result of interest shown by some of
our members, namely the Young Ornithologists' Club, which is affiliated to the RS.P.B., and the A.I.D. Group, which aims to raise funds for the World Wildlife Fund.

The Y.O.C. has held several meetings during the year and, in February, visited the RS.P.B. film show in Canterbury. One of the Y.O.c. members, Mark Newman, distinguished himself by having one of his articles published in the Y.O.c. magazine, "Bird Life", which is distributed nationally. The A.I.D. (which stands for "Animals In Danger") group has also been very active and has so far raised the sum of 13.38 for the World Wildlife Fund. This has been achieved by two activities entirely organised by the boys themselves, namely the production and sale of various articles at the school Spring Fair exhibition (another of the N.H.S. successes this year), and a fishing contest on the Prince of Wales Pier, Dover. The group is at present collecting the tokens from packets of Smiths food products and would be grateful for contributions to this collection.
We have been particularly fortunate this year in securing the valuable and expert services of Mr. Benson who has undertaken to lead the Society in the coming year and to whom we are deeply grateful.
Among activities planned for the coming year is a practical project in association with the Deal and District Gun Club who have asked us to help in the establishment of a bird reserve between Deal and Sandwich. It is hoped also that a visit to a local coalmine may be arranged, the purpose of which will be to collect and study fossils from coal.
It is to be hoped that, in September, the Society will once again be able to swell its numbers by including new members from our First Year Forms, all of whom are of course very welcome to join. This will then mean that membership of the Society will extend from the First to the Fifth Forms and that the N.H.S. will have become a fully established part of the school.
Finally, if I may end on a personal note, I would like to take this opportunity of thanking Society members and friends for their continued support during the past three years and for the beautiful book with which I was recently presented and which I shall treasure in the years to come. I hope that the Society will continue to flourish and grow, which I am sure it will do under Mr. Benson's expert leadership, and I wish members every happiness and success in the years ahead.
K. R Johnson, 14.7.75.

Despite the society's recurrent problem, a shortage of numbers, we have again held regular meetings this year, thanks largely to the unstinting efforts of Mr. Woollett and Mademoiselle Guillou. The latter delivered a very interesting and informative talk on Zola, which helped us a great deal in our A Level work. We have also questioned her extensively at other meetings on current developments in France, and have had discussions on articles of interest in French newspapers which she kindly supplied.
During the last year, we have also read two plays: "La Cantatrice Chauve" by lonesco, and "Knock" by Jules Romains; and we have listened to Mr. Woollett's recording of "Le Misanthrope". We have taken part in two highly enjoyable quizzes, one at the Girls Grammar School, to whose other meetings we have also been invited. One in particular was well attended, on the imminent French presidential election.
In the last few months, the Society, in the form of
the French A Level groups, has also been to two extremely good and informative lectures at the University of Kent, on Camus and Voltaire. We hope that these lectures will continue next year.
Finally, I must apologise to purists for the fact that the difficulties of printing French have caused this report to be written in such a plain and unrefined language.
J. Parry (Secretary)

This has been the busiest year for the choir for many years; we have sung a large number of songs at six recitals. This has meant a lot of work for all concerned, especially for Mr. Best, and it has been pleasing to see the keenness of even the youngest boys last throughout the year.
At Guest Evening in November, the choir sang a madrigal and two folk-songs, and the orchestra played pieces from the "Water Music". The brass ensemble, led by Andrew Renouf, also contributed to the success ofthe evening with two pieces. In December, the choir had two engagements. As usual, it played the major part in the Carol Service at Charlton Church, singing eleven carols. Many of these were comparatively unknown to the congregation (which packed the church as usual) but they were all greatly appreciated, especially a new arrangement of "In the Bleak Mid-Winter". Boys in the Lower School sang the Christmas song "Nazareth" as well. Two days later, the choir took part in a Christmas Festival organised by the Dover Christian Council.
The School Concert in May was a resounding success, one of the best in recent years, and the performances were of a consistently high standard. The orchestra played the St. Anthony Chorale and Rondo by Haydn, and the Overture to "The Pirates of Penzance". In both pieces it showed a considerable advance on previous performances, largely owing to the acquisition of new instruments and to the resurgence of interest in learning instruments at the lower end of the school. The choir sang two Negro Spirituals and three other songs: "I loved a Lass", "The Darling White Sergeant" and "Bonnie Dundee". The brass ensemble again performed well, as did the newly-formed recorder consort under the baton of Mr. Smith, and there were also recorder and piano duets, and fine solo performances from John Clarke, Brian Saunders, Simon Carter, Mervyn Cooke, David Cook, Trevor Bray, Mark Hibell, Martin Gill, Robin Bulow and Julian Sampson. The penultimate item, an arrangement by Mr. Smith of "The Teddy Bears' Picnic", played on the tuba by Andrew Renouf, was greeted with great enthusiasm by the audience.

In the next two weeks, the choir gave two performances, at the churches of S1. Mary in Walmer and Dover, supporting organ recitals by Mr. Best. Among the songs and anthems were "Laudate Dominum" by Sweelinck, "God so loved the world" from "The Crucifixion", Stanford's "Ye Choirs of New Jerusalem" and "How lovely are thy Dwellings" by Brahms. The performance of Robin Bulow, who sang excellent solos at both recitals, was especially praised.
The departure of many Sixth Formers at the end of the School Year means, as usual, a weakening of tiJe lower sections of the choir, but the reservoir of talent is always deep enough to replace them with new tenors and basses. Meanwhile, with the Lower School showing more musical ability than for a number of years, there is a great hope for the future, not only in the choir but in other musical fields as well. The Recorder Club is well attended and in the Summer Term a Junior Orchestra was established, indicating that the strong musical tradition in the school will continue for many years to come.
J. Parry

After a week of worry for Mr. Woollett and all concerned, we left by the last British boat to sail before a 48-hour strike. During our week in Paris, we had rain, snow-showers and cold winds, but here again we were fortunate, for on Saturday bright sun and clear skies gave us a perfect view from the top of the Eiffel Tower and allowed us to appreciate the imposing symmetry of
the gardens of Versailles. On Tuesday, it is true, we had a disappointment; the authorities had decided to close the chateau of Fontainebleau, this year for the first time, but a few of the famous carp rose in the lake, and even if an open-air lunch in the forest was somewhat chilly, the lounges at Orly Airport, on the way back, proved to be veritable sun-traps.
At Orly we enjoyed the story of the ducks which previously inhabited the ornamental pool on the first floor. These ducks, it seems, were taken there from Vincennes Zoo, but had only a week's airport duty at a time, as it is never dark at Orly, and ducks like a good night's sleep. One day some traveller who had been abroad on an unsuccessful shooting expedition relieved his feelings of frustration by shooting the ducks. He was, of course, taken into custody; but since that day the pool has been duckless. No doubt the ducks on the other shift were quite happy to stay at Vincennes.
In Paris itself, we visited all the usual places, as did lots of other people. At the Louvre, for example, we found the only difference between getting through a door to see the Mona Usa and getting out of a First Division football match was that in the latter example the crowd is all going the same way. (There are plenty of one-way streets in Paris - has no-one thought of a one-way system

for the Mona Usa room'!) In Montmartre, on Easter Monday, a similar throng had descended, or ascended, and one found oneself being half-carried round the Place du Tertre.
These visits, and those to Notre Dame, the Sainte Chapelle, the Invalides, the Arc de Triomphe, the Place de la Concorde, etc., helped us to understand why the French are so proud of their capital city, and gave Us some insight into French history - at least we realised that Napoleon, for example, was not just that man who lost the Battle of Waterloo.
We also had an opportunity to get rid of some of OUr prejudices about the "Frogs" (including the idea that those batrachia might appear on the menu). Even if their windows are not adjustable, the French do have some good ideas (one-price fares on the Metro, for example, with a reduction if one buys ten at a time). At the Foyer, food was interesting, varied and abundant, and was generally enjoyed - apart from endives, commonly referred to as "weeds". Most of us were able to use a little French, to understand something of what people were saying, and at least to realise that French was a living language, not just something recorded on tapes or in books as a preparation for "0" Level. We also saw many examples of that strange language known as "franglais "
- shops called "Sexy Shop" or "Crazy Legs" and things called "caddies", for example. (What is a caddie, you ask? A trolley in a supermarket, of course - what else?)
By the end of our stay, names like Trocadero, Franklin D. RooseveIt and lasmin were no longer the names of an oriental palace, an American President and a flower; they were stations on the Metro. For some, the metro journeys were a constant source of pleasure and the "trottoir roulant" at Chatelet a real delight.
For Mr. Woollett, Mr. Denham and myself, a visit to Paris was a renewal of earlier joys, and in spite of occasional exasperations this visit was made in very pleasant company. And in spite of the MaineMontparnasse skyscraper, the motor-road on the Right Bank, and the ugly blocks on the outskirts, Paris is still a delightful city - as delightful as it was in the dim and distant days of 1937-38, when I lived there for a year and would willingly have stayed.

The senior pupils', CCF, outdoor activities visit to the Brecon Beacons at Easter provided a variety of activities under testing, almost arctic, conditions. Our week started with a painful but well ventilated 2SO-mile journey from Dover to a camp high up in the Brecon Beacons National Park overlooking Brecon.
The first day consisted of an acclimatisation walk over the mountains to a mountain centre, and then a blister-raising slog back through the lanes to Brecon. On Tuesday, the sun was shining when we set off in two groups for different campsites. The weather rapidly deteriorated, and by midday we were walking in a blizzard. Nevertheless, laden like Sherpas, we struggled on over the mountain to set up camp in the snow. After a meal of good old "compo" and some sledging, we dried out our socks over a camp fire.
Leaving the tents in position the next morning, we set out to exchange campsites via the spectacular Pen-yfan ridge. Going up the mountain in knee-deep snow, we passed a party of "squaddies" in training who had been playing in the snow since dawn (mad fools). After melting snow for a brew at lunchtime, we continued along the icecovered ridge to the other group's tents. The following morning, we were picked up by the lorry and taken to a rock outcrop which provided some interesting climbing. Unfortunately it began to rain and snow towards the end of the day, and the rock changed to something resembling wet soap, making further climbing impossible. By this time the lorry was beginning to "play- up" and our return to Brecon sounded like a twelve-gun salute. That night we floundered around in the park near base, doing a navigational exercise in the dark.
On Friday, the last day, we went swimming in Brecon Pool in the morning and in the afternoon, after a short walk, we made emergency shelters, most of which looked like a cross between a plastic bag and a haystack.
The return journey on Saturday was spent huddled up in sleeping-bags in our well-ventilated lorry. We arrived in Dover in the later afternoon, very tired but happy at having made the most of a very enjoyable week.
Steve Hunnisett

21st-26th MARCH, 1975
This Easter a party of boys and girls from the two "chools left for the annual field trip, under the leadership of Mr. Ruffell, Miss Brooks, Mr. Ems, Mr. Parrett, and Mrs. Russell. This year's regions of study were Exmoor, Dartmoor and the Mendips.
The girls and the majority of the boys stayed at Holnicote House (a Holiday Fellowship Centre), whilst the remainder of the boys were fortunate enough to stay in the Mayfair Hotel, Minehead.
The first day's study included a look at coastal erosion along the coast of Exmoor, an urban study of
Dunster and a traverse of Dunkery Beacon (1,700 feet). While on the summit we had the pleasure of experiencing a heavy hail storm. However, although it rained heavily, for some at Holnicote House the area was quite "arid" as their nearest public-house was at Porlock or Minehead. Incidentally the local tax-drivers were reported to have had a bonanza during their stay.

During the second day the party studied river characteristics and followed much of the course of the River East Lyn. The third day was spent in the Mendips, at Wookey Hole, Cheddar and Glastonbury.
The final day was spent in the Exeter district and on Dartmoor, concluding with a visit to Becky Falls.
Musical backing during the trip was given regularly by those sitting at the rear of the coach, while those in front maintained a dignified silence. Everyone had a good time, which is an indication of the careful planning put in by Mr. Ruffell and his team, and we are all very grateful to them.
Stephen Madge, M6C

The Fourth Year Activities Group enjoyed a spell in Snowdonia from 20th-26th April. The party consisted of eighteen Fourth Form boys, two Sixth Formers, and was led by Mr. Styles and Mr. Grant.
They stayed at Glyn Padarn, the Kent Mountain Centre near Llanberis, Caernarvonshire. The centre is situated among woods on the south-west shore of Llyn Padarn.
Most of the activities were carried in two equal groups, each led by a member of staff and a Sixth Former. On the first working day, one group set off, in rain, to Helfa, traversed to Halfway Station, and returned to the Centre along the route of the Mountain Railway. The other group travelled by minibus to Nant Gwynant, from where they made their way up to Cwm Tregalan and back. That night, at the Centre, every square inch of visible hot water pipe was covered with saturated socks.
The next day, Tuesday, was spent partly on rockclimbing and partly on a navigation exercise. The ropework took place on rock faces to the north-east of Llyn Padarn; each member of the party attempted at least four climbs and abseils of varying difficulty. The navigation exercise took place not far from the Centre. The weather was much more favourable, but again there were many wet feet because many of the party discovered boggy ground more often than had been expected.
Tuesday night and Wednesday morning were spent preparing for the overnight expedition. In two groups, the party set off from Llyn Ogwen, and took two separate routes up to Llyn Bochlwyd. As the second group, led by Mr. Grant, ascended the three-quarter-mile slope, fog came down, providing a challenging exercise in mapand-compass work. At Llyn Bochlwyd, camp was made, and after a well-earned meal, the party went to the summit of Mt. Tryfan by two separate routes. On Thursday, after packing the camping equipment, one group walked to the Pen-y-pass Youth Hostel via the Tryfan Saddle, and the other group to Gwastadnant in the Llanberis Pass via Glyder Fach and Glyder Fawr. The weather was very good and many of the party became sunburnt.

Friday, the final working day, was spent on the Snowdon Range. One group, led by Mr. Styles, went to the summit; one group, led by Mr. Grant, completed the Horseshoe in a clockwise direction; the other, led by the warden of the Centre, walked the Horsheshoe anticlockwise, beginning with the magnificent Crib Goch (Red Ridge).
The evening was spent in assessment of the week's activities, returning equipment and watching a slideshow.
As well as being an excellent chance to put into practice the theory work which had been done since September, the expedition served as an exercise in group co-ordination and teamwork. I' highly recommend any such future expedition to the boys taking part in Outdoor Activities this year.
Stephen Wood, 4A

T he Dog
It ran on the green cliff top gras_,
Fetching a stick and running
With an inexhaustible supply of energy. And then the stick flew over the edge
And down, down to the rocks,
with the pathetically funny dog still following. It ran.
It ran in mid-air,
Its mournful barking echoing,
Echoing up to me as it fell.

On February 14th, the party, consisting of eleven boys and two masters, travelled by an aircraft of Dan-Air from Gatwick to Munich, where we took a coach to Pertisau. The journey took three and a half hours.
Pertisau is a small village on the south-west bank of the Achensee, the largest lake in the Austrian Tyrol. It is situated about twenty-eight miles from Innsbruck, the capital of the Tyrol province.
We stayed at the Einwaller complex, which meant sleeping in a small comfortable chalet which we had to ourselves, and taking our meals at a cafe down the road.
On the first day we started skiing on gentle slopes and then gradually progressed to the steeper ones. We were able to use three drag lifts on the nursery slopes. The more experienced skiers in the party went up the Karwendel chair lift to the top of the mountain known as the Zwolferkopf, where there were two further lifts. From here it took 20 to 2S minutes to ski down-to the village.
On the fourth day we had a coach trip to Innsbruck, where we walked over the Olympic ski jump, which was still under construction for the 1976 Winter Games. We also saw the famous golden roof.
In the evenings we were entertained in the cafe; there was a Tyrolean evening with a Schuhplattler group, a film evening and a dance.
On the last day of the holiday, we took ski tests, according to our ability, which we all passed. In the evening, we were presented with our certificates and badges by the ski instructors.
A good time was enjoyed by all, and our appreciation goes to Mr. M. 1. Styles and Mr. A. O. Elliott for organising the holiday.
Michael Scott, John Clark, Marco Pearce

The Cat
The old cat just lay there,
Stiff as a board.
No sign of movement:
It lay there cold.
At first, I thought it was sleeping, Very deeply it seemed,
But when J went to touch it
It did not move or scream.

It was a cold Saturday morning. The wind was whistling around the chimney pots. grabbing the smoke and carrying it off across the rooftops. The coloured leaves swirled in an invisible whirlpool. and a tin can clattered into a nearby drain.
There were three children on the corner ofthe road. like statues from a Greek play.

"O'you know what to do?" "Yer, leave it to me."
"Right, you leave the rest to us." They emptied their pockets to give the smaller boy some change. With this all three walked steadily along the road, collars flapping aimlessly around their ears and hands buried into their pockets.
They stepped regimentally into the corner shop, with the bell leaving a faint ringing in their cold ears. Inside the shop all was quiet, the wind checked.
The uninteresting sweets were left frozen to their place as six eager eyes searched and looked around the shop. The fire-red box of fireworks stood out among everything in the shop like the probing fungi in the undergrowth. The silence was broken' sharply by the old lady's cry:
"Can I help you, boys?"
"Yes please" said the small boy.
"I'll have one box of matches, please."
She stared and then glanced at the other boys. "Oh, er. . . they're with me,"
The old lady was suspicious but not concerned, She turned her back and reached up. A hand shot out and grabbed the box, which was slid immediately up inside an anorak.
"One an arf please luv,"
The money clunked into the palm of her hand, and the three boys were gone. "Piece of cake!" said the older boy, pulling the box
down from his outer skin with elaborate ease.
"Nice going, Oave."
This boy was roughly between the two others; he was
mentally against the plan. but had to follow his betters, The false smile dropped from his face and shattered on the pavement as he thought and spoke:
"Say she finds out?"
"Leave off, mate," said Nicky, the smaller boy. "She'll never find out." Philip shrugged his shoulders and drew into himself
to ward off the cold. "Yer, s'pose not",
He turned and spat with the wind,

"Come on, let's go over to the flats."
The flats were different from where the boys lived;
the flats were "smart". As they approached, a boy about Philip's age stepped out ofthe lift and through the glass doors at the entrance. He was wearing a black blazer and white roller-necked sweater; his hair had suddenly become bullied across his face by the wind. Clearing it, he noticed the three but carried on walking.
"Snob!" breathed Philip.
"Yer, you watch him jump!" said Dave. "I'll put this banger in his pocket."
"You won't get near enough," whispered Nicky. "Wanna bet?" Dave smiled.
His hand snaked into the box and grabbed a banger. "Hold it, mush" he shouted.
The boy turn_d, hoping to oblige rather than in anger.
"Got the time?"

The boy motioned with his bare wrist, shrugged his shoulders and turned away. This was the time David had been waiting for. He lit the banger; it spat into life quickly, crackling and dancing at the end of his hand. Stepping after the boy, he yanked open the pocket and threw the gathered sparkles into the blackness. The startled boy turned, grabbing and pulling the coat and pocket from the bigger boy. Looking down, he saw the streams of orange poison sprouting from his pocket. Instinctively his hand went into it. His face exploded into pain in synchronisation with the fire-stick. His squinted eyes forced liquid pain across his cheeks. Biting his lip, he opened pain-darkened eyes, then his breath flooded through his teeth, gasping. The blood had now settled on his jacket and steadily dripped to the ground.
"You fool, Dave, you bloody fool!" Nicky cursed. Nobody noticed a closing curtain on the other side of the road, while the screams merged with the ambulance siren.. .
D. Wllhams, 4E.

The golden rays which streamed through the small glass windows shimmered with the ringing end of school. Tiny backs straightened and cramped hands opened. Books vanished amidst the sound of shunted chairs.
A little coloured boy appeared and stepped into the playground, his rich brown skin gleaming in the sun. With a cocked cap and strangled tie he skipped towards the gate. Turning, he shouted his goodbyes and ran off down the road. He loved this hill. The wind bathed his face and washed away nasty memories of his school day. Walking into the shadow of overhanging bushes where the heat was sticky, he tugged at the already opened collar. He tried to guess what he would have for tea. During this day-dream he remembered the story of
Robin Hood. He liked stories the way his teacher told them, because "they ran smooth". Then he was brought to earth with a bump, literally; he had tripped over his always-dragged coat. From this ground-level he saw his

best three marbles disappear through the grate of a drain, with a plop. He levered himself up and set off home, making a mental note to ask his nan to mend the hole in his pocket, please.
Turning the corner, he saw the empty shell of a home, a burnt house which towered above a miniature jungle. He always saw it, but today the cherries in the garden looked lovely. He bit his lip and frowned hard. Then he quickly stole three and put them in his cap. Making sure he was clear of the scene of the crime, he chewed hungrily on the first one. He took the pip out and squeezed it between his fingers. It sped out and went shooting across the road.
A hysterical scream interrupted this game; so, clutching his cap with one hand and stuffing his mouth with cherry, he ran up to the top of this little hill and along the alley-way. Stepping out of the alley, he saw "the girl who lived next door" confronted with a huge sheep-dog which belonged to the gypsies at the end ofthe

road. Her feet had become fixed to the pavement and her red-ringed eyes bubbled over with shiny fat tears; the screaming had stopped. Although he hated little girls, well, even if she was his own age, he felt it his duty to escort her home. He ran across the road, bawling and waving his coat, like an ape under laughing-gas. The dog was unmoved by this fantastic dance, but the girl was whole-heartedly impressed. He gave her a quick glance and caught the tail-end of a smile. His courage was boosted to the limit and he chased the dog half-way up the road.
Tiring of this energetic game, the dog turned, snarling. The hero-feeling slowly drained from the boy, and he suddenly felt very very small. The cave-like mouth of the dog, with stalagmite and stalactite teeth splashed with saliva, clamped upon his leg. The road rang with screams; his leg ran with blood. The liquid slowly found its way to his "sleeping" sock and dribbled on to his shoe. He slumped to the ground.
D. Williams, 4E.

I remember lying for hours with my back to a carved pillar. I had no desire for food or drink, but three of the Danes were drunk. One of them said: "We're bound to be killed tomorrow anyway, so why waste good mead, eh?"
I hold any man who so admits defeat to be a fool, and I knew well that we could break out, and run down to the boats.
Hnaef and Hengest were at a window, watching Gefwulfs men arm for an attack. Hnaef turned and shouted:
"Take up your weapons! They will come soon. Get to the window-holes and the door!"
Before all our men had reached their posts, a spear passed through a window and struck one of the drunken men in the back. Sigeferth drew it out and hurled it out into the night. It struck no-one.
Not five minutes later, a cry went up outside, and

the enemy charged at us. They could not be repelled, but they evidently lost heart upon sampling our ferocity. I saw the door splinter and fall, pounded by axe-heads, and ran to defend it. The attackers were barging their way through us; there were so many ofthem, but man for man we were better fighters. I remember killing five men before an axe-blow struck me on my head, and I reeled dizzily back into the hall and fell among the rushes.
Waking once, I saw our men striking down the Frisians as fast as they came to face them. Assured that we would be the victors, and break out of Finn's guesthall on the next morning, I slept again.
S. Wood, 4A

On a dull Saturday afternoon, I decided to tidy my bedroom, hoping to get some extra pocket money. Among the mess, I found a small book: Bloggs Pocket Diary, 1972. I flicked through the pages; a date was circled with ared pen -June 23rd. Ahyes! I remembered that date well!
It all started in the morning rush. I had got up late and had to gobble my breakfast. I can remember rushing out of the front door with what I thought was my yellow football bag which contained my books. When I arrived at school everyone was checking the maths homework, so I decided to do the same; maths was not my strong subject, anyway. I unfastened my bag and reached for my maths book but my hand caught on something else. I

pulled it out and to my horror I saw it was "Avon Hand Cream". I peered inside; there was some lipstick, curlers and a make-up bag. I quickly closed the bag. At that moment Jimmy Harris came over to me: "Hey, Neil, what did you make question two?" "Err. . . um . . . I've forgotten my book", I replied. "You'll get detention," he said, "Old Johnson won't believe you." Then the bell went. I left my bag on the ledge, and after Assembly went back to collect it, only to find that some of the contents had fallen out! Luckily no-one saw me put them back; at least I thought so, but at that moment Miss Rough came walking down the corridor: "What do you think you're doing, young man; shouldn't you be at your first lesson? You can put the make-up on later. Are you using it for drama ?"
I can remember then going to first lesson, which was English. We were told that some vailiable articles had been stolen from the Science Laboratory. "I want to check your bags, boys," said Mr. Hastie. My heart sank, for my surname is Aberly, so I would be the first to be checked. "Turn out your bag, Aberly," said Mr. Hastie. I emptied my bag; the whole class roared with laughter. "Well, Neil, can you explain?" "Yes, sir," I said, and I told him the whole story. After that I had to go to the Headmaster and tell him the story; I was relieved when he sent me home to fetch the right bag. But I will never forget that June 23rd.
S. Thompson, I Frith

If there is one thing I loathe above all others, that thing is revision. In my opinion the horrific burden of revision must somehow be removed, as it is totally destructive; little is gained by it as, sooner or later, the knowledge is gone. Only a very exceptional person can retain in his memory all that he _as learnt in the past years. Has all that work been a waste of time?
Once you have passed your biology a-level and decide to leave school and become a labourer, or perhaps move to the Sixth Form and study stomething you prefer, like history, then what becomes of all your biological knowledge? Have you wasted two years' work? It would appear so - and yet we do seven a-levels in the knowledge that only two may be offuture use.
Let us move on to the exam itself. The element of unfairness from pupil to pupil is quite great. A slight cold or other factors can very easily affect an individual's performance. Moreover, examinations depend on memory and handwriting speed; the genius with a bad memory, or slow writing, could do badly while the fastwriting but unintelligent "memory-boy" could do much better.
Then, of course, there are the examiners. A candidate may be unlucky in being marked last thing at night by an examiner who's had a hard day and wants to go to bed. And what about the stories of overworked examiners marking papers on train journeys? And the wide differences in assessment of the same candidate by different examiners or different boards?
However, examinations seem to be extremely popular among employers and .universities. A-level results are an unreliable guide, but are used by universities in assessing candidates. As to employers, if exams were abolished employers might set their own tests in choosing among applicants, but such tests might well be even more unfair than our present exams.
Perhaps the way to improvement lies along the lines
of the CS.E., whereby more emphasis is placed on continous assessment throughout the year. Meanwhile, the examination system remains unchanged for the immediate future. And I have a maths a-level on Wednesday.
S. P. Overy, 4A (abridged)

The Fish
The ugly brute,
Eyes vacant.
(cod; beautiful white flesh).
Over the side of the boat.
His teeth hurt as 1 take out the hook. (flour, cooking oil).
Out comes the hook.
Throw down the ugly brute. (sizzling, deep fry).
Back on shore.
Guillotined, gutted.

_ The Giraffe
Magnificent you are, giraffe,
So tall and slender,
Slowly walking grassy plains,
With your cream and brown pyjamas
Mingling in the background.
You look such a calm and peaceful creature,
But with one blow of your slender heavy-hoofed legs, An attacking lion will fall in defeat.
You, so beautiful yet so violent,
Are a wonder on legs.

The day trippers sailing from Dover
At the rail toss their coffee cups over I'm sorry to say
That they all float away
To the beach at St. Margaret's, moreover. Those cups, being made of strong plastic Come ashore, in numbers fantastic.
To the locals' dismay
They will not rot away
And so call for some action most drastic. If only t'were seen as a sin
Not to put ALL their trash in the bin_ Then that terrible plague
By the day trippers made
Would be o'er, and decorum would win, 'Decorum; seemliness, propriety, etiquette

Results of School Matches (Autumn Term):
Played Won Drawn Lost
Under 1253-2
Under 139522
Under 1483-5
Under 15862
2nd XI52-3
1st XI (School Matches)8323
The I st Xl's record in school matches was affected by injuries sustained in E_st Kent Wednesday League games. In the latter our 1st XI finished the season by winning both League and Cup.
Our Under-IS XI reached the final of the Kent Schools Cup.
Results of School Matches:
Played Won Drawn Lost
Under 139216
Under 1461-5
Under 15114-7
1st XV12444
In the Autumn Term, the Under-IS team reached the Area Final of the Kent Schools Knockout Competition.
Results of School Matches:
Played Won Lost
Under ]4918
Under 15871
Under 16853
The Under-IS team were undefeated in their section of the East Kent Schools League, and the Under-16 were equal first'with Harvey and Charles Dickens.

In the Autumn Term, the construction of the new glass-fibre and wood Enterprise was completed. Nic Smither won the Lock Trophy and Andrew Martin won the Johnson Cup. Nic Smither also won the Bevan Cup in the Summer Term, and Anthony Smither the Gill Cup. In the Kent Schools Regatta in May, Nic Smither and Judy Stubbs won the Enterprise trophy, and lain and Andrew Thomas did well in the Mirror class.
In the S.E. Kent Championships, our juniors finished first, ahead of 17 other schools, J. Clark being the individual winner. Our intermediate team was second, and our seniors dominated their race. J. Marshall and S. Hunnisett took part in the Kent Championships.
The Under-16 team played 6 matches and won 4. John Jackson was chosen to take part in trials for the Kent U nder-16 team.
Our Senior and Under-16 teams lost to the Duke of York's School, but the. _enio_ won their match against Harvey. In the Ames Cup competition, Friend, Wood, Kemsley and their partners from the Girls Grammar School finished second.
Two out of three senior matches were cancelled because of bad weather; in the other, we lost to Dover College. The Senior Sports Day was successfully revived after a lapse ofthree years.
Junior teams had varying success in matches against the Duke of York's, Harvey, Astor and Simon Langton, and took part in the SouthEast Kent and Powell Trophy meetings.
The school's most successful individual athlete has been S. Talbot. He again won the Kent Schools 400 metres title, and competed for the County in the All-England Schools Championships.
Outdoor Activities and Duke of Edinburgh's Award
In the Autumn Term a group of 6th Formers took part in a Duke of Edinburgh's Silver Expedition involving a three-day journey with two overnight camps in Snowdonia - ten were successful. At Easter, the seniors had testing wind and snow conditions for their week in the Brecon Beacons, while just ten days later, in Snowdonia, our 4th Formers had problems with sunburn on several days.
At the end ofthe year, 16 boys had almost completed their Bronze award, three had undertaken their Silver, and five were well into their Gold.

The under-12 team showed high promise and was enthusiastically supported by parents. Special thanks are due to Mr. Penn for his coaching. Of 5 matches played, 4 were won and I drawn.
The under-13 team lost only one match, showed great keenness
and was very well captained by Clapson. The under-14 team did not have a successful season, but Stokes and Oates got good scores and Milroy developed into a promising bowler and captain. The under-15 team lost 5 of their 6 matches, but on the brighter side mention should be made of their fielding and of the excellent example set by their captain, Janaway. The 1st XI won only one game, but the fact that eleven of the players will still be with us next year promises well for next season. The mainstay of the batting was Aslett, backed up by Sherrell and Gladish.

House Championship, 1974-75 Ponts were awarded as follows:
Astor Frith Park Priory
Football (ISO)312544SO
Rugby (ISO)51412929
Basketball (SO)1417127
Cross-country (100)17351335
Badminton (SO)2381/,153'/,
Gymnastics (lOO)28232524
Tennis (SO)to51520
Swimming (lOO)20302228
Athletics (ISO)40393437
Cricket (ISO)45223449
- - -
- - -
The House Championship Shield was therefore won by Priory House.

All former students of Dover Grammar School are eligible to become members on payment of an annual subscription of SOp, reduced to 25p for those leaving school. Life membership is a sound economic proposition at 7.50.
All members of the teaching staff are honorary members, and a few are life members. The association links former students with the life of the school today, and helps the school in many ways. Most notably, the Old Boys have this year given about 1,000 to extend and repair the school organ.

President. 1974-5: R. W. Winter_
Vice- President: M. Sayers
Secretary: B. A. Harrison, . SO, Lower Road, River, Dover.
Treasurer: Rev. W. F. Kemp
Editor o(the News-Letter: E. H. Baker.
. 24, Downs Road, Maidstone, ME 14 2JN
There are soccer, cricket, basketball and tennis matches between school and Old Boys. A May Ball is promoted each year by cooperation between school, parents and Old Boys.
A newsletter is prepared and sent to all members twice in each year. The newsletter tells of school and Old Boy activities and could well be described as the life-line without which the Association would cease.