Parents' Association    
Old Pharosians    

Dear Friends,
Herewith one School Magazine. As always it tries to reflect the frantic activity, imagination, commitment and co-operation that make our school what it is. There were lows and highs in the year - missing reports due to laziness being numbered among the' lows'. The death of one of my own form 'community', John Ince, made it the saddest of my few years in teaching; it also seemed the busiest. This year the work load for the magazine has involved Mr. Carter as usual in the design and layout, without whom' Pharos' would never appear, and has also involved many boys in collection of material, and Stephen Overy particularly in the editing of the literary part of it. To them, and to Mrs. Murphy who typed the early copy I am extremely grateful. If you have improvements that you would like to see in the magazine, why not tell me. . . you can help next year.

This has been another year of expansion. In the GREAT EDUCATIONAL DEBATE, much emphasis is placed on basic skills. We have given particular attention to this course and indeed have provided some remedial work in handwriting and spelling for first formers but I believe we must go a good way beyond this and encourage the growth of boys' talents in as many areas as possible. Academic progress must be at the heart of our work but this will only be achieved if a boy seeks to understand what he is trying to learn and this in turn will only be successful if he is lively, interested and aware of what is going on around him.
Most of our boys come from homes where care and attention are taken for granted and their natural optimism screens them against adult warnings about the hard world to come. It is also very difficult, although necessary, to persuade a boy that he has a moral obligation to use his talents to the full.
It is with this philosphy in mind that we have spent a great deal of time discussing the content of courses which should be offered and the School is fortunate in having heads of department who will argue the case for their own speciality. We have tried to provide a range of courses which ensure the maximum choice of career either at 16 or at the end of the Sixth Form Courses. We also believe that each boy should have the opportunity to enjoy at least one of the creative arts without the restriction of choice between it and an academic subject.

Beyond this, I am convinced that the exceptional range of our activities and expeditions provide opportunities for a boy to grow as a person and therefore to acquire precisely those qualities of responsibilities, sensible ambition and determination which will ensure success in everything which he tackles.
It is true that our efforts have to be set in the context of limited resources. particularly staff. While this is a cause of constant concern, I am more anxious to maintain the constant and active support of the parents who sometimes find it very difficult to overcome their natural shyness.
I hope that this year will see the good relationship which already exists between many parents in the School extended and deepened. In this area lie resources of incalculable v'alue which need never be cut or restricted.

Of all the" School leavers" in July, perhaps the most unexpected was the departure of Mr. John Harris after only two years as Deputy Headmaster. Our loss is the gain of the Simon Langton Grammar School for Boys, Canterbury, where Mr. Harris is the new Headmaster, succeeding Mr. C. Rieu. If the latter's twenty five years at that School have set a precedent to be followed, then the travels of the Harris family have come to an end for a considerably longer period than that for which they graced both River and the" School on the Hill" .
It was with curiosity and some trepidation that both School and Staff awaited the arrival of the "foreign" Deputy Head who was replacing the much loved and respected Tom Walker in September 1975. The uncertainty of all was soon over as the expertise and humour that John Harris brought to his job began to be

seen. His fair but firm handling of difficult situations was felt by boys, men, and women alike.
Happily the freshest memory that many will have of John Harris will be that of his skill on the piano demonstrated at the Summer Miscellany just a few days before his departure. That is appropriate; the whole concept of the miscellany was one of the many" Harris ideas" that have found their way into the life of the School in such a short time.
To Mr. John Harris, his wife, and young family, we wish success and happiness in the new and demanding job, knowing that the links between ourselves and" The Langton" will surely grow closer, and that some "Dover ideas" might find their way into the life of the premier school in the Cathedral city.
Members of a teaching staff assemble a wide variety of talents and I suppose each of us has occasion to wonder at the gifts of others.
Every school morning I derive great pleasure from
hearing the organ played with sensitivity and modesty. No one can assess the value of that organ to morning assembly and to the school community; but there is significance in the recent gift of a large sum of money from the Old Boys to maintain the quality of that instrument.
Kenneth Best's school concerts have offered an opportunity for the young to display progress in a variety of musical forms and in doing so to give pleasure and soothe away, for the time, our cares and pressures.
For me, and evidently for many hundreds of others, the Christmas carol service has its own heart-warming appeal. Frankly, I sit there dreading that this service soon must end and will not happen again for another year.
Now Kenneth Best has decided, on doctor's orders, that his twenty-two years at school must end. The baton is down: there is a hush before the applause. He can go in the quiet comfort of ajob well done.
We have all been enriched by his character and his music. We all wish him well.

Ernie Large joined the staff of the School on 1st October 1946. A Diploma at Loughborough College had been followed by experience teaching before and after the war, in a prep school in Manchester, and then in 1945 at a London Secondary modern. During the war years his expertise had taken him into the Ministry of Supply, where he first instructed trainees at Slough, then worked in the Royal Small Arms factory at Enfield, and finally worked on fighting vehicles at Farnborough.
Having caused a strike of school caretakers in WilIesden through his refusal to leave his workshop by 4.30, Ernie was pleased to see a vacancy at Dover Grammar School. Appointment would mean the opportunity to pursue his chosen hobby of sailing. Appointed he was, the Headmaster Mr. Booth apparently not minding the pool on the study floor caused by the dripping wet Ernie Large, who had just landed from his yacht in a choppy Dover Harbour!
From the outset Ernie taught woodwork, and quickly became involved in scenery building, even to the extent of constructing a spiral staircase on the stage for "Thunder Rock". Undoubtedly though his years at the School will best be remembered for the way in which he introduced generations of schoolboys to his own favourite pastimes, dinghy sailing, and boat building. One of those boys who benefitted from Ernie's skill and enthusiasm, Martin Styles, is currently the Master in charge of sailing at the School.
In recent years Ernie and Martin have together produced such conditions of work and such quality of teaching that individuals and teams from the School have been able to take on and beat the best School sailing talent in the country. Ernie Large has always held the view that in the education of boys, as much can be achieved after 4 o'clock as is achieved during the timetabled day. Consequently it has become almost normal to find him in his workshop with the time approaching 7 pm.
We all wish Ernie and his wife Moya a long and happy retirement, and hope that we shall see them frequently at School functions.

Bob Stables entered the school as a pupil in September 1959, and was outstandingly successful in technical subjects. Having obtained very good '0' levels he elected to become a Technical Assistant in the labs. and workshops. After eight years in this capacity during which time he qualified for his City and Guilds Mechanical Engineering Certificate, it came as no surprise when he applied for teacher training and went to Shoreditch College in the Autumn of 1973. It was far more of a surprise that we found ourselves in a position to employ him in the school very soon after the completion of his training.
In January 1975 bob rejoined the Technical Studies Department of the school, now as a member of the teaching staff. He has taught mainly in the Drawing Office where his precision and expertise have quickly earned him outstanding success at both '0' and' A' level. His maintenance of the "temperamental" minibus, and his general interest in the internal combustion engine, allied to a new found interest in small arms, quickly earned the respect of the boys.
We are sorry that after only two years on the staff, but after sixteen years at the School, Bob has decided that it is time to move on. We wish him every success in any new career in industry he may carve out for himself.

EXCHANGE VISIT TO GERMANY, EASTER 1977 At midday on March 27th a group of ten 5th and 6th formers, accompanied by Mr. Cox, left the Western Docks for Ostend and from there to Hanover. These boys were the first to benefit from the official link which has been set up between the school and the Gymnasium (Grammar School) at Sarstedt, near Hanover. The boys

had been corresponding with pupils of the school and were on their way to spend two weeks with their host families. (The German pupils made their return visit in July.)

After a long train journey, enlivened by the frantic dash at Aachen to catch the connection which should have left 15 minutes earlier, we arrived at Hanover station at 1.30 a.m. on the 28th, where parents, pupils and members ofthe English staff (one of whom held up a banner proclaiming "Welcome Dover Grammar School") were there to meet us.
The ensuing pairing-off of hosts and guests somewhat resembled a slave auction, as the German "Hausfrauen" eagerly took boys under their wings as names were read out. Off they went with their respective families, desperately trying to hold their own in a real-life version of the German oral exam - and that at two in the morning!
Two days after our arrival a reception was held at the school, at which the boys were welcomed by the Headmaster and shown around the ultra-modern complex. Parents were there too and had no complaints,

save about our boys' appetites. Conversely the "Englander" could only ask - "When do they stop eating, sir?"
During the two week stay the boys spent the majority of the time with their families, some of them making many visits in the area and further afield. However, all participants - pupils and staff - met for a trip to the Harz mountains in a coach hired by the German parents. We were shown the sights of this beautiful region of forests, lakes and peaks and partook of a ,. Schneewanderung" (walk in the snow) on a sunny, but bitterly cold day. "You told us to bring only light clothing, sir", was a reproach frequently expressed by boys wearing borrowed overcoats. As a contrast, we also saw the stark reality of the Iron Curtain.
The mood of the return journey, begun at 4.10 a.m. on April 13th on the Moscow-Paris express, was decidedly sombre, although Simon Marples managed to cheer us all up with his "Monty Python" tape and
aided and abetted by Rodney Haddrell - action replays from the show! Still, it passed the time. Otherwise the journey passed without incident, apart from the forcible ejection of Mr. Cox and others from the Russian coach by a highly irate and obstinately monolingual Russian official.
The fact that many did not want to leave Germany testifies to the general 'cultural' success of the venture. For the proof of its linguistic effectiveness we must wait for the results of the '0' and' A' level exams.
On Sunday May 1st, a group of twenty boys and four staff left Dover for Llanberis, North Wales. We arrived in the evening at Glyn Padarn, a large house converted into a hostel for the use of groups from Kent schools wishing to walk and climb in Snowdonia. When rooms had been allocated we went to the dining room to enjoy a three-course meal. It was obvious that we would enjoy our stay!

The remainder of the first evening was spent unpacking and being issued with equipment. On the Monday morning we were woken at 7.30 for breakfast; cereal, cooked breakfast, toast and marmalade, tea; the enjoyment of the stay continued! The day was spent touring the immediate area, taking in many of the very beautiful sights of North Wales. Climbing, walking, and orienteering in Beddgelert Forest formed the basis of the next few days' activities. During the week we had an enjoyable overnight expedition, camping at the foot of Mt. Tryfan. The following day the party split into two groups, taking different routes home; the 30lb. pack carried on this expedition made it the physically hardest part of the expedition.
On the Friday we split into four groups for the climax of the week, the ascent of Snowdon. The summit was snow-covered, and we had to rope-up and use ice axes to scale the steeper parts.
The Saturday found us up early, packing to go home. We left with some regrets after a week that went all too quickly, and was enjoyed by everyone who took part.
On Tuesday 29th March our hired coach pulled out of Pencester bus depot "en route" for Gatwick airport. From there our BAC 1-11 jet sped us over central Europe whilst we enjoyed the refreshments served gazing out at the Alps. On arrival at Verona airport we watched the departure of the previous ski party and then boarded our Italian coach for the final stage of our journey to Vetriola and the Dolomite mountain range. The steep climb up mountain roads to our ski-lodge was itself a very exciting experience.
Accomodation in the Hotel Centrale was excellent.
From the balconies we could look out on the majestic snow-covered pines and the mountains. The meals service at the hotel was excellent, with a delicious variety of pastas supported by soups, meats, and fresh fruit.

The ski slope was reached by a 'bucket' lift which carried two people at a time for an eight-minute trip up the mountainside to the slope, 2002m. above sea level. Our instructor was Nevio Solda, who won the slalom competition for the second time whilst we were there. Beginners were started on the gentle nursery slopes, and as they progressed'were moved on to the steeper slopes on which the Italian tests were held. By the end of the trips all beginners had passed their British one star and Italian two star tests, and George Hadley had also earned a gold star award.
Near the end of our stay in Vetriola we made a trip to Venice, where we were taken by river steamer along the canals of this famous sinking city. Glass making is the traditional craft of Venice, and we had the chance to see the craftsmen at work whose skills are passed down from father to son through the centuries. Venice was for us a superb end to a wonderful holiday, and our thanks go to Mario our Italian organiser, and Messrs Elliot, Styles and Murray for making such a holiday possible.
Early on a cold February morning, a group of 17
boys, from the fourth to sixth forms, left the Girls' Grammar School on a trip which would be unforgettable to one and all. The destination was Gatwick airport, where we were due to board a Dan Air 'plane which would take us to Venice Airport and start the holiday. However, all was not to go to plan. Due to overloading of cargo the' plane failed twice to take off, delaying us by an hour and a half.
To many of our party flying was a new experience. Due to heavy cloud cover, though, we were not to get the views we expected, although the Alps were clearly visible. The flight ended too soon for many, and after a mere two hours we were flying over the islands of Venice.

Boarding the boat, S.S. Uganda, that was to be home for a fortnight, we were shocked by the size of the liner, and finding our way around proved difficult for a short time.
The first morning of the cruise was spent exploring the ancient city of Venic('., seeing all the famous sights like St. Mark's Square, the Bridge of Sighs, the gondolas and the canals. After a hard day's sightseeing, there was the ship's night-life, which was excellent throughout the twelve days, helped of course, by the company we were keeping.
The second day was the first day at sea, and the
voyage down the Adriatic was quiet and passed quickly. The next port of call was the ancient capital of Crete, the largest of all the Greek islands. We visited the palace of Knossos, capital of the Minoan civilization. However, soon we were to leave Crete and set sail for another Greek island, Rhodes. We visited the city of Rhodes and the acropolis at Lindos, a town on the Mediterranean coast of Rhodes. We then had two full days in Athens where we saw the port of Piraeus, the Acropolis, the Parthenon, the Olympic Stadium and the famous Flea Market. While we were visiting all these famous places, there were still the on-board activities to amuse us.
We had only a short visit to the island of Malta, visiting the towns of Medina and Valletta, and the half day we had there was not enough to fully appreciate this lovely island.
Our next and final port of call was Naples, overshadowed by Vesuvius. We went shopping in Naples, making sure we kept away from the infamous sidestreets. Then we went to Pompeii and marvelled at the technology of these people who were wiped out by the wrath of Vesuvius. We looked into many buildings, noting that professions taking place then are still going on now, in Naples, and all over the world.
We then had to say our goodbyes and end our cruise. We would like to pass on our thanks to all the people who made the 1977 Cruise an unforgettable event, especially to Mr. Colman, who was party leader, and our parents, without whom we could never have gone.
P. Moore

The first School expedition to this Scottish estate took place during the Easter holiday. Thirteen boys crammed in a minibus that seemed already full of luggage, to be driven by the Headmaster to Scotland. The journey both ways was accomplished in two stages, with an overnight stop at Richmond in Yorkshire providing the necessary relief from the shoulder to shoulder friendliness of the bus. The two-day journey ended with the escorting of the party to Reinacharn Lodge on the Tillypronie estate by the land agent, Mr. Scott. Beds were chosen, and Mrs. Middleton's tea was very welcome.
The first full day on the site was Wednesday, and it snowed. Porridge provided the necessary barrier against the cold, and the party, a mixture of 4th and 6th formers all walked down to the "Blue Cairn", an example ofthe stone circles that are an ancient Scottish memorial to their dead warriors. A snowball fight in Tillypronie gardens, and an evening visit to look over the Aboyne leisure centre filled the rest of the day until later in the evening when a talk on North Sea Oil was given by a rig chemist, Mr. R. Seed.
A blizzard confined the whole party to the lodge on Thursday morning, but by the afternoon the weather was good enough for us to venture out to visit Kildrummy Castle and the Culsh Earth House. The energetic then followed this with a walk over the hills to Tillypronie. Friday was a day of hard work, carrying out surveys concerned with the natural history, geology, and history of the area. The evening by contrast was happily spent at the Aboyne leisure centre, swimming, or playing badminton and table tennis. Saturday and Sunday were spent walking and climbing on the estate, descending the exciting Vat Burn gorge, and climbing the estate's highest peak, Morven. The departure of the Middletons on Sunday afternoon heralded the start of the inevitable ,. Battle of Tillypronie" between the 4th and 6th year contingents, and the day ended with some rather tired packing.
Two more days in the minibus, and we were home, thankful to those who had organised the trip, and particularly to Mrs. Middleton whose marvellous cooking sustained us throughout.
K. P. A. Tolputt, 4B7

This year the field trip, led by Mr. Ruffell, Mr. Bailey, Mr. Raine and the Headmaster, together with three ladies from the Girls' School, consisted of some hundred geographers and geologists who spent four days in the area around Exmoor.
The majority of the students stayed in Holnicote House (a Holiday Fellowship centre), while the remainder were fortunate enough to stay at the Dorchester Hotel in Minehead.
The journey down took the best part of a day and, being Grand National Day, the rear end of the coach became a betting shop.
Our first day's study included a look at coastal erosion and faulting along the highly coloured rocks of the North Somerset coast; followed by an urban study of Dunster; and finally, after necessary refreshment, a nine-mile walk from Exford over Dunkery Beacon (1700 feet) back to Holnicote.
The second day included a study of rivers and in particular a look at the river Baile at Witherpool and the East-Lyn south of its delta, a spectacular result of the famour Exmoor floods of 1952.
The party's third day included a visit to the limestone of the Mendip Hills with the Cheddar Gorge and the cave system at Wookey Hole.
Our final day took us to Exeter for an urban study and a brief look at the granite tors of Dartmoor, the Bicky Falls and a Kaolin pit near Bovey Tracey.
The success of the trip and the fact that everyone had a good time was due mainly to the organisation and preparations made by Mr. Ruffell and Mr. Bailey who had arranged four days of beautifully sunny weather.
K. Robinson, L6M

The purpose of this highly successful trip was to
walk along Offa's Dyke Long Distance Footpath which follows an ancient earthwork along the England Wales border-from near Welshpool to Abergavenny. The main party travelled by train to Welshpool where it was met by Mr. Grant and Steve Brue, who took us in the support Land- Rover to our first camp site. The next day saw us walking along some of the finest sections of the earthwork, starting at Montgomery, where we admired the very fine castle. We camped that night near a small village called Newcastle, and next morning were awakened by an early morning bather performing his ablutions with ice-cold water. The morning's walk was very enjoyable with brilliant sunshine but a cool wind to prevent us overheating. The afternoon however was very different; we were confronted every SO yards with stiles that were very difficult to negotiate with heavy packs.
Next day we moved from our camp in an orchard to one about 15 miles away at Clyro by means of the LandRover. From here we went climbing at Llangattack quarries for two very enjoyable days. On one evening we had a trip to nearby Hay-on- Wye, which was very much appreciated.
Our next day's walking took us through Hay-onWye on to a high ridge with a fabulous view. Our camp site that night was on farmland in a valley which meant that after our Alpine start, the next morning we had to climb back up to regain the ridge. From then on the walking was all downhill to a village with a typically long Welsh name, from where we were taken by Land-Rover to Abergavenny to catch the train home.
Our thanks are due to Messrs. Bird, Brue and Styles, and especially Mr. Grant for organising such an enjoyable week.

This new activity has considerable support and the school entered the Aer Lingus International Schools Golf Championships for the first time.
The first round took place on a delightful course at Tunbridge Wells. Conditions on the day were very difficult with rain and strong winds. Scores were high and no schools equalled par.
The school team, Neil Upton, Kelvin Robinson and Derek Bowes played well to be placed eight out of twentytwo.
Regretably the school was unable to enter a team for the Kent Schools Championship as so many members do not yet have offical club handicaps - a point to be remedied before 1978.
In this, its second year, the club has met regularly on Wednesdays.
Whilst the club is available to all boys, the enthusiastic members are drawn mainly from years one to four. Most boys join the activity as beginners with little previous experience of electronics.
The teaching of basic principles and the con
struction of simple circuits is followed by choice of individual projects drawn usually from one of the numerous electronic magazines. Regrettably inflation hits the cost of these projects and to some extent restricts the type of work undertaken. Again the valued help and expertise of Mr. R. Smith, the workshop technician, must be mentioned.
Andrew Smith of 2PY has run the stock of elec
tronics components this year. F.A.G. M.H.S.

It has been another successful year for the society, six meetings being held, with good support from the Sixth form and considerable backing from our president, Mr. Slater.
Three meetings were held in the Autumn term; the one in September consisted of a talk by two old boys of the school on life at university. In October Mr. Harris gave a fascinating two-part talk on learning and humour in music. A healthy discussion on the existence of God was the topic of the November meeting.
In the Spring the society discussed certain aspects of modern life. Mr. Nunn led an enjoyable evening centred around a discussion of the nature of music. Our final meeting emphasized the growing popularity of the society when the largest group since October 1937 met to listen to Mr. Benson who gave an enlightening talk on human behaviour.
If the last meeting is a sign of the support to come, then the society must thrive.
Chairman: D. S. G. Thomas
Secretary: P. Flood
There has been no lack of enthusiasm for overtime in the workshop this year.
The Engineering Department is open after school on Mondays and Thursdays every week of the schoo_ ye_r and it is not unusual to see up to forty boys workmg m the two metalwork shops.
The picure in the Woodwork Shop is very similar. Boys usually choose to continue working on their normal school course work and as a result of much overtime often complete twice as much work as was planned for their course. Not suprisingly, the increase in confidence

is reflected in the quality of their work done in the next year of the course.
Boys in the Middle and Upper School sometimes bring in private repair work. Repairs to bicycles, motor cycles and domestic equipment are quite common and increasingly boys realise how much their skills and experience are worth in terms of satisfaction and money saved.
The development of the mind and the mastery of skills are essential to the complete education of every boy.
I must express my thanks to my colleagues, Messrs. M. J. Styles, R. J. Stables and R. D. Smith, without whose help the Club could not function.
M.H.S. MUSIC Two musical events stand out in particular this year; the Carol service in December and the School Concert in May.
The Carol service was as popular as ever, with Charlton Church being packed with parents and friends of the School. The choir sang a variety of traditional carols as well as several modern ones, accompanied by William Fittall, a distinguished organist and old boy of the school. The wonderful accoustics of the building helped the choir, expecially in the singing of Hoist's "This have I done for my true love". This difficult twentieth century unaccompanied work proved to be a moving experience for both choir and congregation.
The School concert this year had a Jubilee flavour to it, with the choir singing patriotic songs by Edward German, and the orchestra playing the" 1812 Overture"
by Tchaikovsky, and a suite of pieces from "Gloriana" by Benjamin Britten. It was an evening of comings and goings. The junior orchestra made its debut, and performed confidently, as did the newly formed "Pharosian Consort" under the direction of Mr. M. P. Nunn. This recorder consort played a selection of sixteenth century pieces from Mulliner's book and a "Lachrymae and Pavan" by W eelkes. The date of the Concert, Friday the thirteenth, did not seem to have any effect on the

soloists; even the youngest played with confidence.
It was at this concert that we heard of the retirement of Mr. Best at the end of the term. The concert marked twenty-three years of service within the School. It has been through his help and encouragement that many boys have learned and appreciated music. We thank him very much for all his hard work, and we wish him well in his retirement.
The newly formed Music Society worked throughout the year on a piece about Orpheus, and presented it in the Summer Miscellany version of "Beowulf". This society brings together instrumentalists of all sorts to provide encouragement and enjoyment to all concerned no matter how little or badly they can play.
This has been a lively year for the Music department and let us hope its enthusiasm will spill over into the next year under the leadership of the new Director of Music, Mr. Boynton. The year has again owed much to the devoted work of Mr. Best and Mr. Nunn.
Julian M. Sampson
The CEM Conference this year, on "Personal Relationships", was held on 17th November in Salem Baptist Church, Dover. A large number of 6th Formers from all over the district attended the conference, which was led by Rev. Tom Bowmen, who covered many aspects of the subject in a frank, open, sometimes controversial way. His two thought-provoking talks stimulated much discussion, both in the last plenary session, and in the smaller groups, which were led by some of the 6th Formers. The success of the discussion groups was really dependent on the ability of the group leaders to generate discussion, and also on the degree to which the individual members were prepared to discuss their feelings. Generally most groups were able to explore, some more deeply than others, the difficult areas in relationships, and many people went away with their horizons broadened and some of their concepts at least challenged.
Andrew Clipsham, M6C

This season has seen marked reduction in the influx of first year boys into the club. Consequently many middle school helmsmen have found themselves forced to sail single-handed, which although not a bad thing in itself, has failed to produce the compatible winning partnerships that we have been used to in the past. As always the enthusiasm of the younger girls was unshakable, but it must be said that they tended to be rather erratic in their appearance on Saturday mornings. The same can be said for everybody when it came to fitting out. Last winter saw a decline in the number of those willing to give up their time to maintain the boats, which is surely unparalleled in the history of the club. This has caused a major setback in that we are now two boats short. "Electron Spin's" overhaul has not yet been finished and the new" Mirror" kit which is on order to replace the" Enterprise" "Jeroboam", that was sold at the' end of the Spring Term, has not yet arrived. However, with the increasing generosity of those club members who own boats we have managed quite well, and large turnouts have been achieved on numerous occasions. One morning the number of boats on the water being sailed by club members reached eleven, covering five different classes.
For those fourth year boys who sail on Tuesday afternoons this term has been rather disappointing, experiencing the greatest number of cancellations on record for this activity. On those rare occasions when good weather and availability of boys coincided, however, some really good progress has been shown even by those who had never before been in a boat.
Marco Pearce Adrian Smith CHESS CLUB REPORT
The Chess Club is ever popular. With well over 100 members a considerable revenue has been collected which, despite the suggestion that certain members of the Maths. department are planning rather more expensive holidays than usual, has been well spent on new

chess sets. This year new measures have been taken to ensure that sets are properly treated and remain complete despite that odd tendency of gravity to show bewildered pawns around the dustier nooks and crannies of the floor. An extremely competitive chess ladder has proved very successful and copious in administrative problems for its supervisors; and a large scale competition is at present running, in which senior members have the opportunity to be beaten by some of the first year talent.
Two junior teams and a senior team were raised earlier in the year when most matches against other schools are traditionally played. Such matches have been extremely successful, highlighted by a 61/2 to 11/2 defeat of Dover College, Harvey Grammar, and the King's School, Canterbury.
Next year we hope our popularity will continue.
S. Lyle

I was asked some time ago to speak at a D. of E. conference on the subject of what, in the Award Scheme, I found to be of most value. The point I made very strongly then was that to me, the greatest single asset of the scheme was contained in the purely voluntary nature of the commitment of both participants and organizers. This voluntary commitment has been the underlying theme of the past year of activity and though we started the year with smaller numbers at Bronze level than in the past, what has pleased me most is that from the fifteen entrants, we have that same number of keen lads who have nearly completed their Bronze Awards.
The year began in fine style with a large-scale presentation of Awards in Dover town hall. Seven lads from this group were presented with Bronze Awards and three with Silver Awards. From there we progressed to a police service training programme and then to a joint venture with the Girls' Grammar School in training for Bronze expeditions. Part of this training involved a course in First Aid which was run most efficiently by Mrs. Clark of the Red Cross, and our grateful thanks go to her for this.
Later in the summer term, four members of our groUp participated in an Adventure Weekend Camp held at Nonington College for all involved in the Scheme in the Dover Division._

The Senior Drama Group, under the zealous leadership of Mr. Bryan Owen, and consisting of approximately twenty members, has matured immensely since the Dramatic Society's production of the 'The Royal Hunt of the Sun' in which a lasting bond of friendship was established between all members of the production - cast and technicians.
Because of exams, no one 'full' production was attempted during the Summer Term. However, two Victorian melodramas were chosen as contributions to the Summer Miscellany. These were 'Black Eyed Susan' and 'Set a Thief to Catch a Thief'.
The former, set in Deal, saw Mr. Robin Bulow rendering a heartbreaking performance as Susan, a girl who had not met her dues, and Mr. Peter Wicks as riddle-talking William who, until the end, never received a fair deal. So, under my watchful eye as Chairman, the characters emerged and the plot thickened. The 'Baddies' took the form of Mr. Terry Deal as Captain Crosstree, and Mr. Simon Carter as Doggrass, both men after different, but close, ends. Then, of course, we had Marine, Quid, Pike, Seaweed and Dame Hartley played respectively by the multi-linguist Mr. David Pudney, Mr. David Pudney, Mr. David Pudney etc.
In the second production, 'Set a Thief to Catch a Thief', we had trouble from some members of the audience, namely Mr. David Pudney as Alf and Mr. Martin Catt as Charlie with Mr. Peter Wicks playing Peter, the hero, and Mr. Simon MacGregor playing Polly. The drama having started, Peter was revealed as thief and ex-general. Mr. Robert Dale and Mr. Simon Carter entered the tale as Inspector Hawkshaw and Uncle Silas. We hope that those who saw this production found it as much fun to watch as we did to do.

Dues must not only go to actors but to the backstage crew (which included many actors), to the lighting crew - Mr. Simon Marples, Mr. Paul Beechham and Mr. Gerald Oates - for their precision and hard work. We pass thanks to Mr. Michael Nunn for his musical offerings and Mrs. Danielle Middleton (costumes) without whom we would have been censored. Thank you.
And last, but no means least, I devote this whole paragraph to our director, producer, choregrapher, Mr. Bryan Owen.
Adrian Hodges

This year's contribution to the Summer Miscellany from the Drama Club (lower three years) was Beowulf. It was a great success, and it benefitted greatly with the added experience of the School Play.
Beowulf is an ancient Scandinavian poem about the King of the Geats. These were an early Viking tribe in the days of long boats and fairy-tale dragons. The story was simplified and re-written by the school's drama instructor, Mr. Bryan Owen.
The play depended largely on Music arranged by Mr. Nunn and lighting directed by the three-man crew of S. Marples, P. Beecham, and G. Oates. Rehearsals took place after school hours, beginning early in the term, interrupted only by the external exams. Everyone's acting abilities were improved by this period of regular rehearsals.
Instruction in the basics of drama goes on in one period a week during the first two years, providing a good foundation for the further experience to be gained from this sort of production.
Byron Chatburn Andrew Harris
This year's school play, performed in March, was 'The Royal Hunt of the Sun' by Peter Shaffer. Set in the 16th century, it concerned the conquest of the Inca Empire by a small band of Spaniards, and involved deep conflicts between characters.
The play was an ambitious choice and work on it began as early as September. The great success the production achieved was just reward for the relentless efforts of the producer, Bryan Owen, and the perseverance of a large number of boys, staff and parents.

The production had a stunning visual impact, due to hard work from Paul Beecham, Simon Marples and Gerald Oates, making extensive use of the stage lighting; from Danielle Middleton, in charge of costumes, Mr. Donald Coombey who made the Inca masks, and from Gary Davidson who designed the set.
Valuable assistance came from Peter Bennet and William Newman in relaying the rather remarkable sound effects. Frank Green and Kevin Raine helped to sort out the near chaos behind the scenes. Special mention must be made of Michael Nunn for his sensible advice, expecially on make-up and his general enthusiasm.
Action on stage was interspersed with word-perfect narration from Stephen Overy (Old Martin) - handkerchiefs were sighted among the audience during his most moving speeches. A more youthful version of the narrator was promisingly portrayed by Simon Pearson (Young Martin).
The roles of Francisco Pizarro, leader of the expedition, and Atahuallpa, Sovereign Inca of Peru, were especially demanding.
Robert Dale (Pizarro), despite problems with his beard and ear-ring, gave a faultless, dedicated performance. Terry Deal, who played Atahupalla with superb confidence, and his fellow Incas, Andrew Harris,
Peter Wicks and Adrian Vine, had the unenviable task of 'perfecting' Inca accents. Mark Janaway was impressive as Hernando de Soto, Philip Henderson played the pseudo-intellectual De Nizza and Adrian Hodges powerfully portrayed Valverde, the troublesome chaplain to the expedition. Important speaking roles were also taken by Simon Carter (Estete), Steven Bawden (De Candis) and Dave Pudney (Diego).
Marvellous team spirit and good humour, maintained throughout, helped boost the confidence of the cast of 45. It was encouraging to see people from all levels of the school working together to make the play a success.
A. Inca Translated from the Quechua by Terry Deal

This has been a great year for the Naval Section, with the largest intake for many years raising the strength to 38. We also welcome Sub-Lieut. R A. Cox to the section.
The many activities have included a long weekend sailing at Poole, a weekend expedition walking and camping in France, and a night passage from Plymouth to Spithead in H.M.S. Brighton when she was bound for the Royal Review in June.
In addition, we have been fortunate in these restricted times to have allocations for 24 cadets to attend courses varying from R Y.A. qualifying courses, engineering, helicopter and submarine acquaintance courses to cookery courses.
In the sailing direction, the section had a most successful time at the S. E. Area Championships, winning the 'Coronation Cup', the 'RN.S.A. Cup' and the 'Pharos Cup'. lain and Andrew Thomas call for special mention in that they won every race in their respective classes.
The beginning of this school year saw the arrival of PlO Scriven and a large number of new recruits, which swelled the numbers in the section to the largest for many years. The new recruits settled in well to the programme of training in the Autumn term, although because of the large numbers the training programme lasted longer than usual. However, in the Spring and Summer terms we were able to offer a wide range of activities and visits.

Although there had been some flying in the Autumn term the majority of cadets did not get a flight until the Spring when there were a number of visits to RA.F. Manston. One of the highlights of the middle term was a visit to the RA.F. Museum at Hendon, with its large variety of aircraft. The main event of the year though was the annual camp at Easter, held at RA.F. West Raynham in Norfolk. Over 20 cadets with Major Hoeren and PlO Scriven had a very interesting week. The lack of active squadrons meant that flying was restricted to Chipmunks. During the week about eight cadets received marksmen's badges of various kinds, and the majority of the party attained the RA.F. swimming certificate. One of the highlights of the week was a visit to a nearby base to look at a group of U.S.A.F. BS2 bombers which were in the country for the RA.F. Bombing Competition.
The Summer term brought more visits to Manston and a much appreciated visit to RA.F. Upper Heyford in Oxfordshire to see the U.S.A.F. FIll swing wing bombers stationed there. The marvellous American food served made the trip even more memorable.
M. Slater Sgt.
This year's camp was at Cultybraggan, Perthshire in Scotland. The camp was situated in a superb natural setting bordering on the Cairngorms. The flat area where we lived for some of our stay was surrounded by mountains of outstanding beauty, and because of this our programme was very much outdoor orientated.

We travelled to Stirling by train and arrived at the camp in time for the evening meal. We started the eventful week that evening. The programme was very interesting and exciting, and it included many different enjoyable events.
The outline of the programme was:

July 21 Travelled to camp July 22 Fire and movement July 23 March and shoot July 24 Watermanship July 25 Trip to Edinburgh July 26 Whiteston range July 27 36 hour exercise July 28 36 hour exercise July 29 Homeward journey AFTERNOON
Intro. to 36hr. exercise River crossing, Abseiling EVENING
Assault course
Weapon training
Soft ball
Night patrol
Free evening
River crossing competition Bivouac, swim, orienteer 30m. range

July 24 was a fairly busy day and its success depended upon the organization of our officers and the capability of the N. e. 0.' s to have the cadets in the right place at the correct time. We started the day with a fairly long trip to Loch Earn where we practised watermanship. Two regular soldiers taught us about two different outboard motors; a few simple knots and lashings; and how to helm an assault craft. We found this extremely enjoyable since everyone had the opportunity to manoeuvre the craft single-handed.
After the midday meal we divided the section into two groups and one group did river crossing and the other abseiling and rock climbing. The river crossing consisted of different methods of crossing rivers. We used a death slide, kitten crawl along two ropes, the Bosun's Chair, Burma Bridge and finally we made rafts using planks, barrels and a few pieces of rope.
The abseiling was just as interesting. We abseiled a height of about 50 feet and a few of the cadets climbed back up the cliff using a different route.
After the evening meal we moved out of camp to the training area where we had our night patrol. This was a relatively successful exercise and both groups reached their objectives and completed their mission. The night patrol finished just after midnight and we arrived safely back at camp at 1 0' clock after having consumed Mars Bars and cups of tea.
As shown by this example of just one day out of the seven it was very clear to us that there had been a lot of thoughtful, careful planning by our officers and we owe Lieuts. M. Grant and M. Styles a sincere thank you for their efforts in producing such an interesting camp with a prosperous result for all who took part.
e. S. M. Monk

- ---_ - I.J COVER:
Scraperboard engraving by Dale Ransom 16 p.l. Pottery items
by Bob Betts 146
p.p. 7. 9, 22, & 26
Photos. by Jim Higham p.p. 12 & 13 Photos. by Ken Stansfield
p. 14 Drawing
by Garry Davidson.6
p.17 Linocut Totem
by Mark Clark 146
p.p.18 & 19 Sketchbook study of Deal
by Steve Lawrenson 16 p.p. 20 & 21 Decorations
by Douglas Williams.6 who also did the drawing on p.25
p.29 Photograph by courtesy of the
Dover Express
p.30 Photo. by R. Hill
p.33 Photo.
by Duncan Howson 146
p.34 Drawing by
Simon Critchett 3 Astor

The first snow-flakes began to fall.
Snow-flakes fell slowly,
Swinging from side to side,
Touching the ground,
Silently, _ Lying still.
They were followed by more and more Until the air seemed to be full
Of snow-flakes
Blinking in the light
Ofthe street-lamps.
Snow lay everywhere,
In silence.
Man had decided to abandon the world To the snow:
And the night.
I heard the sound of a child's laughter Come from behind a curtained window. A child's laughter
That spoke of a warm room
And a blazing fire.
I stood on the corner and listened.
In the distance I heard a bus.
Its passengers would be looking out Into the night,
Thinking of fires of their own.
I was alone.

The snow-dark night and I
Sharing silence
The road was bathed in pools of light From lamps put up long ago.
Their glow was
Warm and soft,
Befriending the night...
There was an old church.
It reminded me
Of the times when
It snowed at Christmas
And merry gentlemen with red faces, And kindly ladies with warm smiles, Would come to worship another Light. But that was long ago.
The door ofthe church
Was touched by the light of the lamps, But the door was shut
And there was no-one to go in.
The church and I were in a new world now, And we had to face it
As best as we could.
Head down,
I walked on,
And the snow-flakes continued to fall.
Bryan Owen 1976

Christmas Shop
Huge glass doors swing unceasingly to and fro, as endless streams of prospective and laden customers enter and exit. Now that disc-jockeys of every radio station have reached the magical number of ten in their countdown of shopping days till Christmas, panic-stricken thousands throng the street shops and department stores, frantically purchasing last-minute presents and cards. The fairy lights are at their brightest, twinkling round mirrors, setting window displays asparkle. Tinsel glints and glitters on every shelf, round every pillar, over every counter. Few customers, however, take time to admire the decoration, for now the novelty has gone. Christmas is no longer an occasion to which one can look forward, it is a reality which will be upon us all in a fortnight.
Mothers and fathers rush back and forth in search of toys to fill their offspring's stockings. Those who have not been fortunate enough to find someone willing to look after them, drag their children by reins or by duffel coat hood, their cries and questions drowned by the roar of adult voices.
Cash registers ring open and bang shut in the rhythm which experienced shop assistants have managed to perfect. One would have thought that all the practice of bygone years would be destroyed by decimalisation, yet it seems that" SOp please, thank you madame, SOp change" retains the same age old qualities of "3/6d please, thank you kindly sir and six is four" .
Lifts ascend and descend, bearing cargoes of customers, bulging shopping bags and lift boys whose thumbs are sore through countless pressing of little buttons. Escalators creak under the strain of too many passengers, whilst Mummy, going up, yells loudly as she passes Jimmy going down.
Shelves which only a week ago were stocked to capacity now begin to show signs of emptiness as grabbing hands seize the last blue teddy-bear, the one remaining packet of paper chains, the final box of soap. Plastic carrier bags whose seams are already beginning to split, are crammed still fuller with packets of various shapes and sizes. In the centre aisle of the cosmetics

department a man kneels amidst the discarded price tickets and cash receipts which litter the floor. Hastily and with less dignity than was desired, he attempts to retrieve the articles which have just cascaded from one such bursting receptacle. His wife stands behind him, her face red, the corners of her mouth turned down in a look of disgust as she watches her husband crawling about on the floor.
The day wears on and still customers flow in and out of the store by the thousand. As dusk sets in at around four 0' clock the streets are ablaze with coloured lights, Christmas trees and sparkling decorations. Three hours later the roads are empty of pedestrian traffic, the shop doors are closed, the cash registers locked. Weary shop assistants have made their way home to slump down in comfortable armchairs and quickly recuperate before the next day is upon them. Armies of cleaning personnel push vacuum cleaners and polishing machines around every storey of the department store, removing the debris which will be systematically replaced in fourteen hours time.
It is ten 0' clock on the morning of the fifteenth of December. Huge glass doors swing unceasingly to and fro as endless streams of prospective and laden customers enter and exit. Only nine shopping days till Christmas.
S. Marples SM

Face after face spins by. Shadowed by hats, bespectacled, scowling, and hurrying, they merge into confused and dizzy blur.
Tides of people ebb and flow along the street. Policemen, bank clerks, road clerks, librarians, greengrocers. But none of them is really who he claims to be. If he filled in the little rectangular box labelled 'occupation' with the honesty which nobody has ever expected that box to be filled in, he would insert "one of the countless thousand who hurries up and down West 44th Street, five days a week, fifty weeks a year for an estimated working lifetime of thirty seven annums" .
Do I belong to the crowd on West 44th Street? No I do not hurry for I will never belong to the city. I have no membership card to the squash club. My wallet is not home to fifteen gaily coloured credit cards. I do not go to Florida for the summer. I have never smoked marihuana. I do not go to church on Sundays. I have never owned a car. I do not hate negroes. My great, great grandfather had nothing to do with the war of independence. When I die I will not be laid to rest in the Sunny Vale Cemetery. I am not of Jewish, German Polish, Italian or Puerto Rican descent. I do not belong to the city.
Sharp blasts from the horns of taxi cabs mingle with the persisting drone of piped super-market melodies. The Orchestra of West 44th Street gives performances of a city Symphony, Mondays to Fridays at 9.00 am and 4.30 pm. The voice of Real, newspaper boy, penetrates the orchestration in a powerful solo, as he proclaims the day's headlines for everyone to hear. The screaming siren of a police patrol car gives an incoherent trumpet descant, whilst the steady rhythm of a pneumatic drill keeps all in time.
In offices, with numbers of four digits on their doors, the carriages of electric typewriters pass to and fro in a never ending cycle of letter writing and complaint answering. Elevators operated by livery-clad boys ascend and descend from fourth to twenty-third, from thirtyeight to nineteenth floor. Fat Cadillac-owning business

men smoke Havana cigars as they dictate letters to their big-breasted secretaries. Letters which will make five thousand jobless or bankrupt a dozen minor firms.
In the dark corners of damp and dirty subways, men whose age, is half what it seems, sit with their backs against cold tiled walls. Upturned hat at their feet, harmonica at their lips, they play morning, afternoon and evening. The few coins which people throw down, in order to ease the weight in their pockets, will buy the busker a cup of coffee at the Bistro Expresso Bar. On the worn seats of subway trains lie young and old, semiconscious, their bloodstreams charged with alcohol and barbiturate whilst in every corner of the city thefts, murder and blackmail take their merry little course.
Do I belong here, in this world of plastic, lit by neon? No, the city is not my home. I am just passing through. Me? Just a stranger.
S. Marples
A gentle throb of rotor power ripples the calm sea. Now I am underneath the water. The boat passes overhead, silent-eerie. He came from the depths; it was too late. He held an evil looking knife which glinted in the calm early evening light that penetrated the fluorescent blue. The boat stops.
He looked, as the harpoon caught him on the shoulder, at the blue blood running down his arm. The shadow engulfed him; a shadow with no body. His knife floated from his hand and cut his oxygen pipe. I could not hear his screams because they were carried off in the millions of bubbles escaping from his cylinders.
He began to float to the surface. The boat is still there as he ascends and strikes the spinning rotor. There is a cloud of blue coming towards me from the boat. I turn and kick away from the scene straight into the depths of the dull black shadows.
A brilliant flash of white is followed by a scream; piercing, agonising, a scream of terror. I am falling

through pitch blackness; a never ending fall through a never ending night. Visions of a mutilated zombie flash across the black damp way to certain death. A clown in full make-up appears, laughing shrilly, evilly. He points at me and bursts into another fit of laughter. He is cut short by the brilliant flash of metallic blue which hits him in the nape of the neck.
His severed head rolls towards me, a head which still laughs. Two specks of light appear. They grow into two men in leather jackets who start to kick the clown's head around.
One man falls to the ground and starts to writhe in agony. He slowly begins to appear in a helmet, combat jacket, trousers, long gaiters and army boots. The rifle in his hand is loaded. The blackness around me turns into a trench and my soldier friend shoots his mate and turns towards me. A shell exploded and I was hurled into a shell crater, closely followed by the remains of his left leg. Silence. Blackness. Damp. Pain.
The pain and the blood on my weary shoulder mingle with another scream of laughter as the clown appears, carrying his head under his arm.
"Catch!" he cries as he throws his head towards me. I nervously catch the head as it turns into a rosy red apple. I felt myself being drowned but I am back in my scuba suit and the boat is still overhead, a red boat. The diver's gnawed hand lies at my left foot, a red hand. The sea is still, silent, a red sea. Everything is a fluorescent red, even the three clowns who appear carrying their heads under their arms. Suddenly I am in the middle of a circus ring in full ringmaster's dress.
.. Ladies and gentlemen, gentlemen, men.
Scream, death, death, DEATH!
I am in the red water but still in my ringmaster's uniform; no oxygen. The water fills my lungs and chokes me. I am floating up to the boat and the rotors.
"Come sweet death, death, death. . . " echoes the voice of the shadow. I choke, choke and scream, my lungs filling.
Pain, headache. Burst hot water bottle.
Mervyn B. Cooke
") A _

My Fearful Experience
I was playing war; the Nazis had captured our pill box (the garden shed). As the officer I decided that we would move behind the enemy and get on the pillbox roof which was their position, by the use of a wall at the back. Half running, half crawling we made it to the back of the Nazi position with only one casualty. He had been savagely attacked by a large stinging nettle, and was crying his eyes out. There was no need for him to panic as our platoon medic rushed to his side and took out some medication, a well-worn caterpillar-eaten dockleaf. He got up in a flash and we reached the top of the wall with only one more small accident, a rather green soldier called Stephen Con not. slipped and started to cry, and there wasn't a mark on him. However this was what we had all grown to accept as on another raid, his nerves overcame him and he hit out at Robert Bailey, at which he naturally retaliated but before the puncR from Rob had gone anywhere near him, Connor ran off with the famous last words on his lips "I know when I'm not wanted" , crying as he went.
To get back to the present, we clambered on to the roof, with me in the lead. Once on the very top of the roof we all had a well deserved breather. Then we proceeded with plan x17b2 - the destruction of the pillbox. I ordered the men to help me down the other side of the roof to a position directly above the window where the Germans had a Spandau machine gun. Then I whispered an order to pass me two coke-can grenades, which I then lobbed in the emplacement with all of the strength that I could muster. Then came the crunch. How could'I get back up to the top? In my hurry to knock out the Kraut position I had not taken into consideration how I could get back up again. With a great exertion I managed to get a grip with one hand. I then worked on and managed to hold with two hands.
My grip was failing, I hastily ordered my men to jump down quickly and to get the French Resistance (my mum) to get me down. They arrived and got me off my precarious perch just before I let go. Pah!
B. L. Hodgson

The first team ended a good season by winning the East Kent Wednesday League Division 2 championship for the third consecutive year, and as a result will play in Division 1 next season. The only major disappointment in a full season was the single goal defeat by a strong Police team in the the final of the League's Charity Cup.
On Saturdays the team did not continue its Wednesday successes. The major weakness was the inability of the side to produce consistent performances against other schools, largely due to injuries and the other commitments held by some players. Notable among the Saturday results were the 3-0 defeat of Simon Langton and the 7-2 victory over the Old Boys early in the season.
Playing record
East Kent Wednesday League
Played 18 Won 13 Drawn 4 Lost 1 Goals for 67 against
School matches: Played 9 Won 3 Drawn 2 Lost 4 Goals for 16 against 17.
Colours reawarded to K. King and newly awarded to Captain J. Vane and Vice Captain K. Keily. Representative ties were awarded to D. Palmer, A. Stokes, M. Lawrence, G. Price, S. Hughes, N. Syrett and M. Speakman, and reawarded to M. Scott.
Thanks must go to Mr. Hill and Mr. Bailey who strengthened the side on many occasions in the Wednesday League, and to Mr. Ruffell who continued as ever to support end encourage the team.

The Autumn term began with injury problems to some of the senior players, and the side took some time to settle down, losing four hard fought matches of the eight played during the term. The backs when at full strength showed themselves to be a useful attacking unit, and the forwards, though physically often at a disadvantage, began to benefit from the experience of highly competitive rugby. The Spring term saw the continuation of the basic problem; the forwards could not win enough good ball for the backs to really exploit their attacking capabilities. Undoubtedly the two highlights of the season were the drawn game with Christchurch College and the 12-4 defeat of the strong Dane Court XV.
Playing record
Played 14 Won 7 Lost 5 Drawn 2.
Colours were reawarded to S. T. Jones, M. E. Hicks, R. C. Peters, C. R. Bramwell and A. J. Plews, and newly awarded to R. L. Upton and K. J. Norris.
Representative ties were awarded to A. Davison, M. Michael, D. G. Smithard, M. Dukes, R. A. Hancock, G. Forster andJ. V. Robson.
The whole team benefitted greatly throughout the season from the enthusiasm and coaching skill of Mr. Grant.
A lack of enthusiasm on the part of the middle sixth formers meant that the School was usually represented by a young, inexperienced, but enthusiastic side. Poor weather disrupted the early part of the season, although some benefit was gained from the indoor facilities of the Dover Sports Centre.
The lack of depth in the batting was the major

weakness of the side, the result being that we were rarely able to achieve the sort of run total necessary to extend the opposition or give our bowlers a good chance of securing victory. Only three players, M. Lawrence, M. Janaway and N. Upton, the captain, scored more than 100 runs during the season. Mark Lawrence was the outstanding batsman of the season, his arrival being a big boost to the side.
Playing record
Played 9 Won 1 Drawn 6 Lost 2
Colours were awarded to M. Lawrence and M.
Janaway. Representative ties were awarded to C. Horn, D. Cripps, M. Roberts, R. Blackman and K. King. PHAROSIANS' BASKETBALL REPORT
The Pharosians, the School's senior Basketball squad, enjoyed a successful season in the East Kent League. Pharosians 11 beat every side in the League except Ashford WorId Sport' B' team. The team had a fine keen nucleus of players, ably captained by M. Ashby, who was easily the team's highest scorer. When the opposition was weak the team greatly enjoyed piling up large scores, reaching 100 points four times, and once exceeding 130 points. All matches were played in a determined but sporting spirit, the atmosphere being helped by the presence of the charming timekeeper and scorer, to whom the side was most indebted.
Playing record
Played 15 Won 12 Lost 3
Colours were rea warded to Mike Ashby and Micky Speakman, and newly awarded to Kevin King, David Cripps and Mark Janaway.

Representative ties were awarded to Bob BeUs, Neil Quinton and David Welham.
Racing over the past year has been both eventful and successful. For the first time the School competed against other schools outside the county by taking part in the N.S.S.A. Team racing championships. The competition was held on a knockout basis and involved travelling as far as Felixstowe in Suffolk, as well as Banbury reservoir, London.
A little to our surprise the early rounds proved rather easy, but then hard work was necessary to overcome the challenge of a strong Bedfordshire team in the twice-run final. The trophy, part of the yoke from King George V's own 'J' class yacht, was presented to us _ by Brian Southcott, Chairman of the R. Y.A..........
We did not fare too well at this year's K. S. S. A. open championship, Andrew Martin being our sole winner in the Enterprise class, but all of the following were chosen to represent Kent at the N.S.S.A. championships in late July:
A. Martin, E.Naylor
A. Smither, J. Stubbs Enterprise M. Baker, J. ClarkClass
A. Thomas, C. Styles
I. Thomas, P. Lorimer Mirror P. Blackman, A. Smith Class Trophy Winners 1977
Lock Trophy-School Championship: Marco Pearce Johnson Cup-1st Yr Helmsmen: John Clarke Wooden Tub-Introductory Racing: Andrew Perriam Bevan Cup-Singlehanded Racing: Peter Blackman Gill Cup-Lower and Middle School Mirror Competion: Tim Toole

Under 12 XI
In the Autumn term this side played 9 matches winning 5 and losing 3 of the other 4. The team had a larRe number of talented individuals, especially Button, Morgan, Todd and Podmore, all of whom were selected for Dover Boys. There is considerable promise for the future if the boys work hard at their skills.
Under 13 XI
There were many skillful players in this side, whose playing record suffered because of lack of overall consistency. Too many sides were allowed to capitalise on simple errors. lames captained the side well, and Bryant and Waymark were selected for the Dover Boys' side.
Under 14 XI
A couple of careless games blotted an otherwise excellent season. The team is improving year by year, relying less on talented individuals and more on solid teamwork and understanding. The season was brought to a successful end in the Spring with the defeat of CastIemount to win the Dover Schools Cup.
Under 15 XI
The victory over CastIemount at the end of the season to win the Dover Schools Cup was undoubtedly the highlight of the season. The excellent performance of previous years was really not continued, four of the nine Autumn matches being lost. Several of the side gained experience of 2nd XI soccer, and next year many will compete for both 1st and 2nd XI place. Richard Dowle played regularly for the Kent Schools under 15 side during the season, attracting the interest of more than one Football League club.
2nd XI
The 2nd XI had a very successful season despite the fact that first team calls made it very difficult to field a settled side. Next season the side will undoubtedly be stronger still, the strength in depth of the School making it possible to field even a competitive 3rd XI if fixtures could be found I Of the 11 matches played, 5 were won, 3 drawn, and 3 lost. Two captains, John McHugh and Graham Hutchison, both served the side well during the season.

Under 12 XV
This side, which won 7 of its 9 games, has very strong potential. The team blended very well, and played some fine attacking rugby, showing a very positive attitude to the game. Hard work on basic skills could make it a formidable force in the coming years.
Under 13 XV
A mixed season brought 4 victories, 4 defeats, and a draw, Inconsistency meant that a 78-0 victory could be followed immediately by a 52-0 defeat. Hard work in the Autumn could bring some successful rugby next Spring.
Under 14 XV
The enthusiasm and strength in depth in the 3rd form was amply demonstrated in this side. It was never difficult to find more than 15 willing and able players, and the strength of the team could be varied depending on the expected strength of the opposition. Few sides gave any real opposition with the unfortunate result that when a good side was encountered in the shape of Dane Court we sustained 2 narrow defeats. There were many fine individual performances in a side ably captained by Tim Too1e. Only 2 of the 11 matches were lost, and the team accumulated the total of 563 points, against 66.
Under 15 XV
A disappointing season in which a full side was fielded only once. A loss of enthusiasm, injury, and Saturday jobs meant that 3 ofthe 6 matches played were lost, and 2 of the 3 victories were against 'novice' sides from Astor. Better things are hoped for as many ofthe side join the 1st XV squad next year.
Under 12 XI
LS players represented the side during the season. Good batting but inconsistent bowling and indiscreet field placing were the main features of the play. 3 fixtures were cancelled, but of the remaining 5 there were 3 victories and 2 defeats.

Under 13 XI
The inability of our batsmen to score enough runs meant that many matches were lost. The bowling and fielding were generally good, but apart from Pearson there was little strength in the batting. The lack of confidence that this brought can only be remedied in future years if there is a lot of work and time given to the development of batting techniques.

Under 14 XI
Another very successful season for this year group. The defeat on the penultimate ball of the match at Sir Roger Manwood's was the first the side had experienced in its 3 years together. Penn played regularly for Kent, and the thus weakened side was ably led in his absence by Hopkinson whose batting, aided by Kremer, was the highlight of the season. The climax of the season was the victory in the Glyn Williams Shield final, when Dover College were dismissed for 14 runs.
Under 15 XI
Fine all-round team performances enabled this side to go through the season undefeated. Derek Bowes ably led the side, and Roland Robertson was selected to play for Kent.

Cross Country
There was something of a revival in the sport in the senior school during the Winter, proving that it is both an enjoyable and effective means of keeping fit. In competition, none of the five races were won, but some encouraging individual placings were gained.
Representative ties were awarded to G. Nor_is, _. Cook, M. Ladbrook, 1. Davison, R. Arnold, N. Tonks and B. Llmbrlck.
The senior team was one of the strongest the School had produced. In the Kent Schools' Championship the team was a creditable second in its group which was won by a skilful Canterbury side. Of the 5 matches played, 3 were won, 1 drawn, and 1 lost.
Colours were awarded to I. lackson
Representative ties were awarded to A. Keohane, G. Hutchison
and A. Milroy.
Table Tennis
The newly formed Table Tennis Club entered a side in the Dover and District League 1st Division. One match was won in the Spring as the side grew in confidence and experience. A lunchtime club had a nucleus of keen 4th formers who, with regular coaching, could provide the basis for a good side in the future. Gary Clarke and Stephen Pearson played in the League with determination and enthusiasm against older more experienced opponents.
At the start of the season a useful pool of players provided a winning team in the match against Harvey. The only other School match, against Simon Langton, was lost, and in the Ames Cup a mixed
side from the Boys' and Girls' Schools was again placed third. The main problem for the development of tennis remains the very unsatisfactory facilities normally available on the windswept hill.
The senior Athletics season, usually shortened by the external examinations, seemed shorter than ever this year, being restricted to one meeting at the Duke of York's School and the S.E.Kent Championships. Two boys were selected for the County meeting at Broadstairs, and after several years of trying David Welham at last won the Senior Triple lump. Woods was placed fifth in the lunior Discus.
lunior teams have competed in 8 meetings against anything from 2 to 11 schools. Results included 4 first places and 7 seconds. The 'domestic' programme was again based on Sports Day and on the achievement of badges in the AAA 5-star award scheme.

Several members of the Fencing Club achieved the Bronze Proficiency Awards of the Amateur Fencing Association during the year.
Foil and Sabre: A. Smith
Sabre only: N. A. Thomas, P. Wicks, B. J. Gillham, A. Hodges.

The Championship trophy was again won by Astor, but this year the race was very much closer, the result being in doubt right up to the last event, the Swimming sports. The great question for 1977- 78 will be whether Priory or even either of the other two houses can at last end the Astor domination. As always, the summary shows the vital necessity of doing well in the major Winter sports.
Autumn TermAstorFrithParkPrIory
- - - 74 SO 54 72
Spring Term
Cross Country110021241738
- - - 116 92 99 118 Summer Term
Cricket11 SO38452641
- - -
106 114 84 96
- - -
GRAND TOTALS296256237286
- - -

For a Dying Girl
They tell me you are a dying girl;
Though I find it hard to believe,
And if you are in any pain
I hope you are soon relieved.
But I like to see your cheerful face, Which you hide behind so well;
It reminds me ofthe pleasant days, Before your pillar fell.
You're different from the other girls, Though "Why?" , they don't understand, They see your arms and legs like theirs, And your delicate hands.
But soon, you won't play with them
And they won't take long to forget
How you had to take your pills
And that you were not strong and fit. Your weak body is gently fading
As it slowly melts away
From the burning of your mind
To the cold bed where you lay.
They tell me. . . P. Bennett M6S

President: Lester Borley, Esq.
Secretary: B. A. Harrison, Esq.,
SO Valley Road, River, Dover (Kearsney 3066)
Treasurer: Rev. W. F. Kemp, The Rectory, Denton, Canterbury.
Editor of the Newsletter: E. H. Baker, Esq., 24 Downs Road, Maidstone.

All former students of the School are eligible to become members of the Association. The annual subscription is SOp, 2Sp only in the first year after leaving school. Life membership costs just 7.SO. All teaching staff are honorary members of the Association, and some are life members. The purpose of the Association is to link past students with the life of the School today. The need continues for more support from recent leavers,

particularly those who remain in the area and would be able to offer practical help.
Important coming events are;
Christmas Social at Crabble Pavilion, 16th December, 8 pm, particularly suitable for younger members and recent leavers.
Football match v. School 1st XI 2.30 pm Sat. 17th
September at School. The President - elected for the year 1977-78 - is
Mr. A. E. Coulson.

Most people, it seems, know that a School parents association is an organisation which forms a liason between School and parents, and raises money for the School. However, very few people are really aware of all the things we do in our association.
It is run by a large committee, members of which are always on hand to give help of some sort when it is needed.
Our main fund-raising event is of course the Spring Fair. All parents are given the opportunity to help in the way they prefer, and most of them really enjoy working side by side with other parents and teachers. Other fund raising activities include occasional Supper Dances and Grand Draws, and in the future we hope that jumble sales and other social events will be added to the list.
The Parents Association also provides a number of "services" to the School. The Nearly New Shop provides a two-way traffic in good clothing out of which some boys have grown, and into which other boys are growing, and a "considerable" number of cups of coffee are served by members of the Association during the many parents evenings of the year.

The least conspicuous but very important activity is left to last; it is the liason which the Association provides with the School in all parts of its life. Problems and ideas can be aired and shared at Committee meetings, and the Committee members are always willing to listen to any member who has a point to raise.
Does this begin to give an idea of the range of association activities? It is a busy and effective Association, welcoming the help of any who will offer it.
Audrey Dench