Parents' Association    
Old Pharosians    

Lengthy Editorials for such a magazine as this are unnecessary. The activities of the School during the year speak for themselves. Read the magazine through and you will discover for yourself the achievements, breadth of activities, adventurous spirit, and creativity that makes our School such a challenging place both to be taught in and to teach in. My thanks are always due to Mr Carter; this is above all the magazine of his department, without the help of which it would be very much less interesting. To all the boys, staff, parents and friends who have contributed I give my sincere thanks.

At this time, the political parties are preparing for a general election, and there is no doubt that education will be a central issue. A flood of jargon will be released which it is difficult in the teaching profession to follow, let alone the general public. Most parents, however, are quite clear that they expect their son's school to prepare him for a happy and satisfying life, to equip him to become a good husband and parent and to ensure that he is law abiding, responsible, and loyal.
In the manufacture of cars it is fairly easy to spot mistakes and weaknesses, but the performance of a man cannot be so easily measured. Only towards the end of his life can he look back and decide if he has made good use of his opportunities, and contributed to the happiness of those about him. The aims of a school therefore, must be to educate the whole man, and to make this practicable we divide it into three aspects.
First, it is our responsibility to do our best to ensure that he acquires suitable academic qualifications and that his intellectual curiosity is so stirred that he will never declare anything to be . boring' but rather an opportunity to begin a new investigation. Secondly, we are concerned with physical development. This is not just to provide leisure pursuits but to teach him respect for his body and to open to him the delights that can come from self discipline and careful planning. Thirdly, we must convince him that he has creative talent and show him how to express his ideas in as many ways as possible.
These aims are at the heart of the curriculum which must extend beyond the school day and will find a natural expression in all that he does at home. I am fortunate that the staff share these views and are willing to provide a sufficient range of opportunities such that it would be difficult for any boy to feel that there was nothing to his taste. Inevitably we are limited by resources, but a difficult problem arises from the need to strike the correct balance which differs completely from boy to boy although each requires some degree of involvement in these three areas. It is possible that there will, upon occasion, be a conflict of loyalties, and we plan this year to tighten our administration in the hope that this will only rarely happen, but I would very much welcome comments from parents if they feel concerned.

A more serious problem concerns those boys who do not make full use of their opportunities in each of the three areas, because whether it be academic work, physical activities, or the creative arts, an essential ingredient is the boy's wish to participate. It is impossible to force a boy to work or to compel him to enjoy a game or to make him express his ideas.
The return of many Old Boys to this School during this year has convinced me that not only did this philosophy exist under the three previous Headmasters, but also that it works.
. The choir and orchestra have given recitals and concerts with the Regimental band of the Queen's Regiment in the Maison Deu, at London Road Methodist Church, at Charlton Church, at St Mary's Walmer, and at the Dover Music Club.
. The 4th year Outdoor Activities group spent an excellent week in Snowdonia with 3 members of staff.
. The Biologists visited the Preston Montford centre for a week.
. The Geographers conducted field studies in the Swanage area, together with a Girls' School group.
. The Economists visited Ford's at Dagenham, and a farm at Eastry.
. The Ancient Historians visited Fishbourne.
. 50 boys went to the York Railway Museum, with Messrs Nunn, Kaufmann and French.

. Paper sculptured decor for the May Ball was subsequently displayed at the Dover Children's Library and at Whitfield Primary School.
. Groups were taken to a Rubens exhibition at the British Museum, and to an exhibition of Leonardo's anatomical drawings at the Royal Academy.
. The link with Tours was strengthened by a visit of 2nd and 3rd year boys to Richelieu with Mr and Mrs Wake and Mr Denham.
. In a National 'Printing in Schools' Competition the School's entry was selected for exhibition and was highly commended for high standards of design and production.
. All likely Cambridge entrance students spent 2 days in that city with Messrs Slater and Cox.
. In a National Poster Competition organised by the Prevention of Blindness Research fund, Gary Davidson won 2nd prize in the senior age group. Rolf Hams presented the prizes in the Royal Festival Hall, London.
. D of E training camps were held in the New Forest and at Kearsney.
. Several boys spent some summer evenings in a sailing yacht at Mr Kaufmann's initiative.
. In June the entire CCF contingent went to the Army Tattoo at Aldershot, and the 3rd year visited Beaulieu. . Mr Cox led a party of 19 boys to Sarstedt in Germany.
. In the Summer holiday a small group undertook an arduous exhibition in Iceland accompanied by Messrs Grant and Styles.

The scheme is by no means only concerned with camping and walking. During the past year lads have been variously involved in courses with the Fire Service and Police Service, in doing First-Aid, in boat building, in cookery, in sailing, in model making and in a wide variety of other activities including many sporting interests. It has always disappointed me a little, however, that the scheme seems to attract mostly those youngsters who already involve themselves in a multitude of activities. Perhaps one should not be too surprised at this fact, however, since any youngster who has gained an

award at either bronze, silver or gold level, is to be regarded as someone rather special.
Awards gained during the year:
Anthony ClarkBronze award
David Hollow""
Jeremy Mahoney""
Paul Nettleingham""
William Newman""
Marco Pearce""
Paul Chalmers""

The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme aims to provide a challenge to young people through a variety of leisure activities. 'Challenge' was certainly the theme of the silver expedition to the New Forest in mid February when seven lads in various stages of recovery from colds and flu walked and coped for three days in temperatures reaching -Woe. The fact that the venture was enjoyed by all seven was due in no small measure to adequate training and attention to detail. Not many people would be organised enough to be able to end a day's walking in sub-zero temperatures with a meal of roast chicken cooked in a tent.
The presentation of awards in November was a pleasant enjoyable evening for all who attended and provided a fitting means of thanking many of those who give so freely of their help and time.
The fourth annual Adventure Weekend Camp was held once again in the grounds of Nonington College. More than one hundred participants in the Award Scheme in Dover division took part in a weekend of activities ranging from archery to judo and from painting to film making. The purpose of the weekend was for participants to meet others also involved in the Scheme, and despite the dreary weather, the weekend was an even greater success than last year's.

Another successful year, can be recorded, despite
the fact that there has been no increase in numbers. Section activities included 4 days sailing at Poole, a weekend expedition in France and field days at Poole and Aldershot ( a very wet day!). In the sailing sphere, the Section always achieves something at the South East area and National Regattas. This year we exceeded all expectations when we won every single award in the Area Regatta; and in the National Regatta, with teams from over 48 schools taking part, we repeated the achievement. Congratulations to our sailors.
This has been a good year for the section. Ably led by RSM Monk whose personal example gained the respect of all cadets, the section achieved a high standard in the proficiency examinations. Lack of senior NCOs meant that the routine burden of running the section fell on the shoulders of the Juniors, who responded magnificently. The lunch time training sessions with the new intake and the friendly rivalry between the 3 sections in the platoon produced a spirit not seen for some time.
Two weekend camps were well supported by cadets and provided the NCOs with experience which should prove useful in the coming year.

Last summer lS cadets were the guests of 1 Field Workshop (Corps Troops) REME at Bielefeld in West Germany. New skills in vehicle maintenance were learned and a touch of realism was added to a night recce patrol in the Soltau Training area by the movement of German armour along a track beside which the cadets were lying. Visits to the Mohne dam and the Pied Piper festival at Hamelin were highlights of camp and during a tour of 23 Base Workshops we were delighted to meet an old boy of the school, Brigadier' Bill' Bailey.
This year's camp was held at St. Martin's Plain. I was particularly impressed by the enthusiasm, good discipline, good humour and sense of responsibility shown by the junior cadets during S days of intensive military training which led up to a two day exercise. Section commanders Cpls Condon, Kilmartin and Kissock are to be congratulated on the personal interest they took in each member of their section, while in the background there was always the solid good sense of Sgts Glanville and Keen.
We are sorry to have to say goodbye to Lt Grant who has increasing commitments to the PE and Games Department. His constant cheerfulness and total involvement in all aspects of training will be sadly missed but we hope to see him from time to time on camps and Adventure training.
Our congratulations to RSM Monk who will receive the Old Boys' Cadet prize and to Sgt Eggett who was presented with the Ravendsdale Cup for the most efficient cadet.
A word to the new recruits. If the CCF exists to provide opportunities to develop qualities of leadership, self-discipline and self-reliance, then seize these opportunities whenever you can. And these qualities must not be confined to CCF activities; they must permeate all aspects of school life if the aims of the CCF are to be realised.

"lain and Andrew Thomas with some of the cups won by the Section. ' ,

This year has seen a smaller influx of cadets into the RA.F. section than in previous years, with an average of forty-five cadets attending per week. Despite this, the section has carried out more activities than ever before. The first term was mainly devoted to the teaching of the third and fourth years for their exams in "Aircraft Operations" , "Engines" and" Air Navigation" . However, once these were over, we were able to move on to more enjoyable pursuits, which included shooting, flying and other activities. This year we have been luckier with the weather, and every cadet has flown at least once, either at RA.F. MANSTON or at camp at RA.F.

WYTON. In addition to this Cpl. Hodgson and Sgt. Marsh successfully completed a gliding course, one at Manston, the other at Old Sarum. Sgt. Wallace will attend a gliding course at Manston in the summer holiday. Towards the end of the Easter holiday Junior Corporals C. WiIliams and M. Smithard accompanied Flight Lieutenant Scriven on the last CCF. camp on Malta. They had the opportunity to swim in the Mediterranean, and visit the tourist attractions, as well as visiting the many military establishments on the island. Twenty cadets went to Easter camp for a week at RA.F. WYTON, where the programme, which included flying, shooting, navigation exercises and visits to units on the base, was somewhat disrupted by a Mineval exercise in which the S.A.S. participated. It is to their credit that the section won the inter-schools competition. They were accompanied by Major R A. Hoeren and Flight Lieutenant Scriven.

In the Autumn Term the Section held an overnight camp, including a night exercise, at "The Warren" near Folkestone. Another overnight camp, this time in conjunction with the R N. Section is planned for next term. The Spring Term visit was to RA.F. HONINGTON followed by an all-day visit to RA.F. BENTWATERS to see the F4F Phantoms and also to experience the culinary delights of the American Airmen's Restaurant. The 92nd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Major Hoeren's unit when stationed in the U.K., gave the cadets a thorough tour of their facilities and an explanation of their N.A.T.O. role. During the Summer Term the section has carried out various intruder alert exercises and orienteering exercises, and was well praised by the inspecting officer during the Annual Inspection. In addition to its military activities the Section has achieved a good standard in softball, and will continue to increase their proficiency in American football in the Autumn term. The section would like to thank its two officers, Major Hoeren and F /L Scriven, and the senior N.c.O.s (F/Sgts Cartwright, Payne and Slater) for the work they have put in this year. We look forward to another successful year.
In late March a group of 7 senior boys, with Messrs Grant and Styles, spent a week in the Brecon Beacons, the aim of the trip being to learn the basic techniques involved in lightweight camping, walking, navigation and survival in a hostile environment; and it was hostile!
All started well with 7 well laden boys arriving at Abergavenny station in sunshine after an enjoyable trip on the' 125' train from London. The first day was windy and was spent on low level navigation, walking about 16km before returning to Dering Lines army camp and our hosts there, the Gurkas. Day 2 was supposed to be a leisurely walk to the Aberclydach campsite via the highest point in the range; it ended up being a hard, bitterly cold slog through clouds, driving rain, hail and

wind to pitch our tents among the puddles of the campsite. We wondered if the 2 members of staff had gone' soft' as they retreated to billets and a hot shower; then as we settled and discovered our rucksacks had turned into water carriers, shattering our dreams of dry clothes, we decided they were just smart! The following morning was fine and we made progress to our rendezvous by ourselves although the maps must have been faulty because we arrived 11/2 hours late, and then spent 30 minutes looking for a concealed cave that was just 30 yards away. Our campsite at Blaeu Onngau was rather stony, and a few stubborn pegs had to be replaced at three in the morning in the rain. Everyone enjoyed the next day exploring caves, swimming in the Brecon pool, and visiting the local amenities in the evening.
Our thanks go to both members of staff for their hard work in making possible an enjoyable, if rather soggy week!

Members made their annual pilgrimage to ST AMPEX in February and found the exhibition a little less attractive and interesting than on previous occasions. However, the 'dealers' stands did not lack attraction and among other items most members took the opportunity to buy the only miniature sheet produced by Great Britain from the Post Office stand.
A second outing was made to London in July to visit a Stamp Fair. Again some very interesting items were acquired (not all of philatelic interest!) - most notably a 1/3 Post Office Tower stamp with one colour misplaced. Opportunity was taken to visit several stamp shops in the Strand, to complete a very pleasant and successful outing.
The group has not been able to meet regularly for much of this year due to the enormous increase of the musical activity in the school. We have, however, performed at Guest Evening (November 18th), at the concert at St Mary, Walmer, and at the Summer Miscellany (July 18th). We hope that next year it will be possible for the Consort to rehearse and perform more regularly. My thanks to Geoff, Clive, David, Simon and Dave for their enthusiasm and loyalty during this difficult year.
Michael Nunn

Through a change in Masters organising the Society there was a late start this year. However, when the first meeting was finally held it was very well received and in the three succeeding engagements a strong core of members have regularly attended.
The subjects of these meetings have been quite
varied - ranging from a discussion on Communism, through talks on Maritime Law by Mr. Sturt a local solicitor, on Satire by Mr. Kemp, and on Marks and Spencer by Mrs. Wordsworth, the firm's chief buyer for Europe.
Most of the meetings have been held at Mr. Benson's home, and his hospitality and organisation have been invaluable to the smooth running of the Society this year. The Society has, therefore, enjoyed another successful, if limited, year and under the continued guidance of Mr. Benson a thriving future can be expected.
J. K. Holyer Secretary

On Friday, 14th July, at midday, a party of 32 boys and two masters (Mr. Nunn and Mr. French) left Priory Station for Leeds. We stayed overnight at a Parish Centre there and the following morning chartered a coach for York.
In York we visited the National Railway Museum, seeing the old locomotives and the new A. P. T. and then ate lunch sitting on the bank of the River Ouse. We then visited the famous York Minster and the Castle Museum.
After seeing the sights of York, we took the coach back to Leeds, driving along a scenic route, which took us through Harrogate, Knaresborough and the lovely Yorkshire countryside.
Another night was spent in Leeds and on Sunday we took the' Green Arrow' steam train to York. After seeing York again we took the train back to London arriving back at Dover at 11.00p.m. on Sunday. All 32 boys would like to thank Mr. Nunn and Mr. French for arranging the weekend for us.
Keith Richards
I t is odd how a bad start to a trip can often later lead to a more enjoyable time for everybody. After endless telephone calls to travel firms and British Rail, letters sent to parents both here and in Germany and many a sleepless night for our organiser, Mr Rod Cox, it finally

seemed that all was arranged, until, that is, on Thursday 23 March, 'Sealink' officially announced that there would be a 24 hour ferryman's strike on Friday 24 March, the day of our outward journey. As a result we had to set off five hours earlier than planned, at seven 0' clock in the morning (a change not favoured by the Lower 6th Form members of the group, who had spent the preceding evening at a rather lively party). At the outset we only just managed to locate Steve Walker in time to catch our boat, we suffered a four hour wait on the railway station at Ostend and then during a rather rapid change of trains at Cologne, Andrew Jarvis was left struggling with his luggage on the platform as the train pulled out on its way to Hanover. It is a little less than a miracle that Mr Cox survived without a nervous breakdown.
And yet, after this veritable fiasco of a journey, we, some twenty students of German, proceeded to spend a most enjoyable two and a half weeks at the homes of our Lower Saxon penfriends. Trips organised by the Sarstedt School and parents included a coach tour of the Harz Mountains, a meeting with the government' Social Minister' at Hanover and a day trip to Berlin
something which left a great impression on us all. Berlin is, indeed, a unique city and the bleakness of the dividing wall, the cold severity of the East German guards, the general atmosphere of total unease, could not help but make one realise the utter pathos of the situation there.
Entertainment, however, was by no means confined to the daylight hours - parties and discos were many and very enjoyable, so that by the end of our two and a half weeks we had all spent an eventful and happy stay which was nonetheless steeped in academic value - our knowledge of the German language having been vastly furthered.
Our thanks are due to both Mr Rod Cox and the Sarstedt staff for their patient and efficient organisation of the Spring trip to Germany and the return visit, which took place at the end of July.
Simon Marples

At 6.50a.m. on March 22nd, a group of fourteen 3rd and 4th formers acccompanied by Mr. Denham and Mr. and Mrs. Wake and family assembled in the departure lounge of Dover's Eastern Docks. After a short wait our coach arrived complete with twenty-nine 3rd form girls from" Simon Langton School", and their three teachers who accompanied us throughout the visit.
The channel crossing and journey were smooth though long and arduous with a break to visit the famous cathedral at Chartres. We eventually arrived two hours late at lOp.m. in Richelieu in pouring rain and were paired off with our "correspondant francois" whom half of us had already entertained last summer.
However despite this we were all rather bewildered as we dispersed to our bomes for a fortnight, many of which were scattered around the countryside in tiny farming villages.
After the initial language problem we all held our own in an alien environment with the exception of a few boys who had problems working through endless courses of strange food at meal times, which worried their host families.
Whilst in Richelieu we split into two mixed groups with our French hosts for the trips which we made on different days.
The first of these excursions included four picturesque chateaux, two of which we visited, including that at Chambord, which we were told had 365 chimneys.
Our next visit was a somewhat wasteful trip to Tours, for the English boys only, which we all repeated later in the holiday.
The third excursion included the church at Candes, and The Abbey at Fontervault where Henry 11 and Richard Coeur de Lion are interred. For most of us the day's highlight was a visit to the caves where GralteinMeyer produce sparkling wines. However we were disappointed that the only free samples were given to the teachers.

The final visit was to the Chateau at Azay-leRideau, the caves at Savonnieres and the city of Tours including the Cathedral.
We left Richelieu amidst fond farewells, wishing we could have stayed longer (perhaps until the end of the Summer Term). On the return journey we stopped to view Paris' most famous landmark, the Eiffel tower, before continuing homeward. The return channel crossing was somewhat unpleasant with many people being sick on the ferry.
We eventually arrived back in England very tired after a great holiday in which we gained a valuable insight into the culture and Country of France, improving our French immensely which must stand us in good stead for the future oral examinations.
Our thanks for this holiday go to Mr. Marriot who arranged this link from which we are the first to benefit; Mrs. Wake who organized this year's trip; and Messrs. Wake and Denham who accompanied us to Richelieu.
John Allingham
This year's field-work was conducted in weather that could charitably be described as changeable. Our journey across Kent and Surrey passed under black clouds and through snow-storms but Southampton Water favoured us with calm sunshine.
The first day was devoted to coastal study west of Swanage. The next day's work turned our attention to human geography at Corte Castle, Dorchester, Wareham and Maiden Castle with its Iron Age ramparts.
The weather again took a turn for the worse when we visited Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door. In the afternoon we walked and slid through wind and rain from Poole Harbour past the old Harry Rocks to Swanage.

On Monday we visited the very busy country market at Sturminster Newton and then sought mid-day shelter in Shaftesbury. In the afternoon we made saturated studies of villages nestling under the Dorset Downs and went to see Milton Abbas and its Abbey.
In the pleasant sunshine and clear Spring air of our last day we visited various sites near at hand and on the Isle of Portland, including Chesil Beach.
On the last evening, Dave 'Eammon Andrews' Pudney presented Mr. Ruffell with an alcoholic Easter Egg as a token of thanks for organising the trip. The girls paid for the egg! Our thanks also extend to other teachers, including the ladies, who demonstrated that they could be "one ofthe boys".
Step hen Lawrenson

After a week we got much better at crossing watery obstacles and the hop, step, jump, (splash,) took on a new meaning as we tried to keep our feet dry; the gaiters over mountain boots kept the water out well if you moved quickly but with a heavy expedition pack - 24 kilos that was easier said than done.
This was just one of the mountain obstacles that was encountered in Iceland by a group of 6th years and staff in the first 3 weeks of August. After a flight to Reykjavik and a special vehicle to the uninhabited interior we established our base camp and food dump on a lake shore - our home for the next 14 days. From this site we explored the area closely; lava, hot springs, sulphur pits, snowfields, scree slopes, volcanoes, dusty tracks, mossy mountains, and innumerable rivers. Our expedition took us to the hot pools of water at Landmannalauger, the volcanic fissure of Eldja and the snow and ice of Lodmundur.
When our foodstock had reached just ten days supply we broke camp and started a mountain route to the South coast. On the way we made an overnight camp on a black volcanic sand plain. This was a very windy night and we nearly needed flying lessons as 7 people tried to take down the tents in the morning. U nfortunately our detour towards Mt Hekla - an active volcano that last erupted in 1970 - was marred by low cloud, and just before the summit ridge we were forced to retreat because of the difficulty in route finding in the recent lava field, which was all very loose.
After 5 days on the move, and in beautifully warm and sunny weather we reached our final mountain ridge to discover the seashore and, on the horizon the dramatic dark Westman Islands. This scene provides a superb backdrop for our final mountain campsite. Then with food running short and our final Markarsfljot river crossing in sight we made for the main road, or dust track, and a coach back to Reykjavik.

To complete our Icelandic Expedition we spent the last 4 days before our flight to the U. K. in the vicinity of the capital and paid visits to Gu Ilfors , an enormous waterfall; Geysir, the superb waterspout; a whaling station; and the open air natural warm water swimming pools, allowing of course time to sample the delights of Icelandic ice cream!

"What are we doing next?" was a question I was asked after the Drama Club had presented "The Evil Eye" at the Summer Miscellany. At the centre of any creative activity there must be a desire to create; those taking part must enjoy what they are doing and then they will want to do more.
This has certainly been the pattern with the Drama Club, and they all seemed to enjoy doing "The Evil Eye", despite the rush. But if enjoyment is the key to self-satisfaction, the quality of performance is essential to audience-satisfaction. The school is fortunate to have some very gifted youngsters and they pose us quite a challenge for the future!
Paul Becque was outstanding in his role as one of the storytellers. The great-grandson of a French playwright, he exudes confidence with a superb sense of humour and a natural gift of timing. Howard Golding,
too, has confidence on stage and his characterisation of Stout was a gem, and his partnership with Neil Vaughan, making his stage debut as Will, worked well. Neil, too, is gifted and I hope he will stay with the Drama Club and develop his talents in other roles.
Michael Beverton, who has had a lot of experience with the Dover Operatic and Dramatic Society, made his debut for the Drama Club with his characterisation of the Mayor, a cameo of agitation. Neil Cox, a County Youth Theatre member and a seasoned Drama Club player, created a dominating and perhaps remote Stranger.
DilVid Hogg, in his first major role as the second Story teller, made the most progress during the course of rehearsals so that by the time of the performances his character had become the bossy and confident foil for the humour of Paul Becque. Jim Dalziel (his debut too) and Paul Bradley showed their creativity as Jonah and Scamp, the two bickering outlaws.
Space precludes a review of all the actors. The Drama Club is a team, and I value the spirit, enthusiasm and friendliness which exists between boys of different ages. In September some will, hopefully, move on into the Senior Drama Group and accept a greater challenge still!

B0ryan wen


This year's major production was "Biedermann and the Fireraisers" by Max Frisch; an ambitious and demanding black comedy which, as it is a set book for 'A' level German students, gave local schools a chance to see this work' come to life' .
Many uni-lingual parents were somewhat taken aback by _r. Cox's fluent German introduction, but were soon reassured that the play was being performed in English!
The main character was played convincingly by Simon Marples in his first acting role, a fact which surprised many members of the audience who were impressed by his confidence and depth of feeling.
The two 'baddies' were played by Adrian Hodges (Herr Schmitz) and Steve Walker (Herr Eisenring); the former a seasoned actor, the latter another first timer.
Karen Alder (Anna) and Siobhan Doran (Frau Biedermann) must both be commended for their dedication to the group, for they did not miss one rehearsal despite the long, hard climb up here.
Ably led by Rodney Haddrell, the Greek-style chorus consisting of Robin Bulow, Keith Tolputt, Steve Corell and Pete Wicks, in the guise of unseen, everwatchful firemen, provided much of the philosophical side of the play. The latter two, taking duel roles, (a policeman and a Doctor of Philosophy respectively) changed costumes and characters slickly and competently.
A thickly made-up Byron Chatbum had the only non-speaking part, as Frau Knechtling.
The split-level set provided a challenge to the designers and to the lighting team (Paul Beecham and Roger Lewis) who managed to conceal the existence of an attic until the action transferred to the upper level.
The many and varied sound effects, including the spectacular final scene, were arranged and carried out by Bill Newman and Pete Marsh; the costumes arranged by Mrs. Danielle Middleton and the make-up team led by Miss Thea Brueton, Mr. Dale and Mr. Michael Nunn.
Finally, congratulations must go to our director, Bryan Owen, and our producer Rod Cox, who together made the show the success that it was.
P. Beecham

Murder on the tram-tracks at midnight! A gypsy who isn't who he seems to be! A heroine who has been cruelly done by! All this and more went to make up the Victorian Melodrama "The Tram-track Tragedy" presented by boys of the Senior Drama Group at the Summer Miscellany.
This was the first time the Group had produced themselves and they are more aware now than before how difficult it is to conceive and present a piece of entertainment! Michael Kilgarrif's adapted script didn't help. It was bereft of storyline and consequently demanded more ad lib bed comedy from the actors to make it succeed.
The best characterisation was Steven Walker as the wooden Claud Body, the big game hunter (a pun the audience didn't recognise). I found him genuinely funny and was pleased to see a more sensitive sense of timing emerge. Robert Dale has shown, over the last three years, a wealth of acting talent, and I thought that his Emmanuel/Messenger/Hawkshaw character was nicely drawn. He has confidence, too, and a university dramatic society will be fortunate to have him as a member.
The other members of the group recognise that they
were desperately short of pressure-free rehearsal time, and consequently their characters were more thinly drawn. Even so, they enjoyed the experience, and their sense of fun, their reliability and sheer stage competence in front of and behind the curtain have made them a genuine pleasure to work with.
Bryan Owen

If I were to liken life to a chicken sandwich, the critics and other prominent people possessing power, would wield their, "Don't-accept-tb;is-crank's-ideasaxe', and slay me from public view. If my name were Donne, Watts, Congreve or Byron, my now revolutionary proposal would be accepted as a deep, philosophical, pseudo-profound statement. Nevertheless, I shall endeavour to win you over to my way of thinking. . . A one, a two, a one, two, three, four. . .
Life is like a chicken sandwich? No, life is like a chicken sandwich. For the silent tears of Daddies, H.P., or O. K., Fruity that roll their hodmandod way down and invariably land on one's shirt, can be likened to life's losses, you know, virtues, loves, chastity, money, organs (appendices, kidneys etc.) Also the actual meat, be it gristly, skinny (thin) or covered in too much of the aforementioned sauce (which causes the aforementioned tears) could be likened to the actual fibre of life, enclosed within, life' s-experiences- and-thoughts-slices-of- break.
This allegory is open to friendly or fiendly criticism. Any complaints and you can indulge in a bit of deep thinking (cheap transcendental medicine)
Humorous? A bit! Profound? A little! True?
think a little harder. D. Pudney

The radio crackled and silence fell. "Well," I said, "the weather forecast is good. I think, er, yes I'll give her a flight this afternoon". The long package was unstrapped from my roof rack and humped over to the take-off position. "Open the struts out and make sure they're secure," I shouted, "I don't want to end up in the sea today!" The canvas rippled in the wind as I strapped on my helmet and checked all my equipment. My grip on the steering bar would be essential if I was to be comfortable during the flight. "Okay, let her go," I shouted at the assistants holding down the wingtips. My feet beat down on the ground as I got up speed for a good take-off.
The wind caught the wings and lifted me high up into the sky. I fought to gain control and struggling I turned her into a low swoop over the spectators below. They were just little specks on the ground looking up at me. A train went past entering a tunnel and then leaving the other side. It was like watching the television with the volume turned right down. Sweeping round I surveyed the channel. I turned low and dived down on a cross channel ferry, then regained height and entered a bit of low cloud, sweeping and turning, swooping down again and then climbing up into the sky again. It was so graceful the movements I put her through, not a single sudden jerk or a movement too far in one direction. Much more beautiful than an aeroplane in flight, more colourful than any parrot or toucan. Just like a giant kite which obeys every movement of your hand, sweeping and soaring in the sky. I turned again bringing her down low making ready for a landing. I turned away. I was too high. I came in again, much lower this time, brought my feet down and made contact with the ground. For a split second I was airborne again but a lull in the wind kept me from taking off. The hang-glider was packed away and I set off home thinking about my trip up into the silent world.
Jeremy Howitt. I Frith

A man walks down a quiet back street in Shanghai. He hands a small brown package to another man who slouches off in the other direction. Furtively, he creeps along the deserted quays of the dockyard until he comes to a medium sized cargo ship moored along side. The ship is filled with grain and the man's feet can be heard crunching on the small deposits of grain as he walks slowly up the ricketty gangplank. A man at the top turns slowly round and flicks his cigarette over the side and into the water. Without a word he takes the parcel from the man and walks immediately down into the lower decks. The man who gave him the parcel walks down the gangplank and melts into the inky blackness of the alleyway.
Down into the qepths of the ship's hold, the man opens a large crate full of grain and gropes inside. He pulls out a large brown sack and stuffs the package inside. He then replaces the sack and closes the lid on the crate.
The next morning, just as the sun is climbing over the horizon, the ship slips her moorings and heads across the harbour and out to sea. The ship heads straight across the Pacific, bound for San Francisco. On she goes, past the southern tip of Japan, past the Hawaiian Islands and finally into the great harbour at San Francisco. The containers are unloaded and left on the quay for a few days. The night after the arrival of the ship, a man creeps furtively up to the crates and opens the one containing the sack. He takes it out and runs off down the quay.
"Why, Why, Why?" shouted the commissioner, thumping his roll-top desk with his fist. "Why can you not stop a simple influx of drugs from coming into the country?". "With respect, sir, this drugs set-up is highly organised and we can find no patterns in their movements to help us," stuttered the police officer nervously. Two of them had gone to see the commissioner in his office in San Francisco to report on an unsuccessful attempt to find any drugs on a suspected ship from Shanghai.

"The only thing to do", said the commissioner, "is to watch every ship that comes in, the day it comes in. That way we stand a chance of uncovering the" ShadowLine".
And so, every night, a guard was mounted, watching carefully all the ships and their cargoes. This went on for several days but nothing could be seen or heard. The two officers began to think that the smugglers might have been informed of the watch.
One dark night, the guard was mounted as usual, in pouring rain. They had been on watch for two hours and were drenched to the skin, when one of the policemen saw a man walking slowly along the quay. The man glanced furtively around him and then went cautiously over to one of the large crates and, opening it, took out a small white bag and stuffed it into his pocket; slowly he ambled off again.
.. After him", shouted one of the officers, and jumped up. There were signs of activity everywhere as about ten policemen all converged on the man. Wildly, he pulled the bag from his pocket and threw it into the harbour where it promptly sank.
The policemen marched the man away but as their footsteps died away, the two officers looked at each other.
"The commissioner is not going to be very pleased about this", said one to the other as they slowly walked back along the quay and to their waiting squad-car.
Colin Barnett 4B

The high-rise flats towered over the tiny concrete fore-court and rows of lock-up garages. Inside, the bare, bleak concrete corridors echoed with the voices of black youths. The wind moaned through the broken windows and whistled softly past the sprawling slogans spraypainted along the walls.
Around the corner, black youths lounged by the smashed-in door of a former store. A white boy strolled past affecting nonchalance. Hostile stares followed his receding back out of sight. A fifteen year-old lad, wearing a tee-shirt which proclaimed him to be "World Champion", cleared his throat lustily and spat on the floor.
A woman came out of the lift, pushing a pram, shopping piled underneath. At the last moment the " World Champion" "accidently" stepped in front of the pram and bumped into it. Shopping and shopping bag slid to the floor. With a muttered apology, he promptly bent down and shoved the shopping back underneath the pram. The woman mumbled something and hurried on. When she was out of sight, the boy produced a purse with a flourish and passed around pound notes.
A friend ran up, bouncing a football, and soon a full scale football match was in progress. Shouts and yells echoed back and forth, and the ball thump-thumped against the walls. After a few minutes, a front door opened and an old white man peered out. He shouted at the youths and the air was filled with shouted abuse and jeering laughter. Nevertheless, the youths moved on down the corridor and the old man retired, muttering. A few minutes later, a head peeped round the corner, and "World Champion" appeared. He walked quietly down the corridor and pulled something from his pocket. A match flared and then a firework was alive, dancing, sparkling life. Quickly, the boy thrust it through the letter-box. CRACK!

All was tense. Madam Mim gave a curtsey and Merlyn a frigid bow and the two prepared for the magic battle. Mim had the Gore crow for her second, Merlyn the faithful Archimedes. The battle began.
In a far off place, hundreds of miles away, Dick, a lesser-spotted dragon, was sleeping quietly. He was feeling in a mad mood. He knew that any minute now, he would be transferred to the battle-field. near Mim's cottage.
He had just received a call from Dom-Daniel (the training school for magicians, black or white,) telling him that Mim was fighting a white magician and that his services would be required. In a moment he would be pushed through a whirlpool of confusion on to the battlefield to face Merlyn, and that in his place, Madame Mim would appear.
Before Dick could think, he was moving around and round, going at a hundred miles per second; and within ten seconds he was at the battlefield. Summoning a dragon was the accepted opening move.
Meanwhile Mim was resting her strength hundreds of miles away. Dick was a large dragon, one of the largest alive, with big ears, and three nostrils; two nostrils blew fire, the other one blew water to put out the fire. Thus, he was a fireraiser and a fireman combined. He had three legs, one at the front, two at the back. His tail was long and sharp, and one blow meant instant death.
"Now," he thought, "where is this Merlyn?" He looked round but could not find him; suddenly he saw a field mouse. Dragons do not like mice, so Dick turned away. The mouse started nibbling at Dick's tail, and that was even worse!
Before he knew it, Dick was back at his resting place, with an intact body but a sore tail. Madame Mim had gone somewhere else. Dick felt a little better.
The battle continued, with Merlyn playing defensively and Mim attacking relentlessly. The point came when Merlyn was on the brink of disaster. Mim was a falcon diving at Merlyn who was a heron losing his nerve, Merlyn changed into. . .

Deep in the heart of Africa, Wayne a large elephant was eating a bamboo root. He had just had a message from Dom-Daniel saying that Merlyn could need him and could he be ready. Wayne was always ready for adventure. With his trunk he ejected some mud on his back.
Only a small amount of mud reached his back, because within a second he was on his way to the battlefield. Merlyn, on the other hand, had gone the other way, and landed right in the middle of the mud pool.
Looking up into the sky, Wayne saw a falcon coming towards him. There was a flash of smoke and the falcon turned into an aullay.
"Help!" said Wayne "Please change me Merlyn! Please!" In a matter of seconds those fierce hooves would be upon the elephant. There was a pause and W ayne started to move off into TIME. Merlyn had changed him and placed Wayne back into the jungle.
After another bamboo root had been digested, Wayne received a message from Merlyn saying that the latter had one. Wayne also received the hooves of the aullay as a gift.
Dick the dragon got nothing from Mim. Dick never fought again for Mim. He changed sides and often fought for Merlyn. He is still living to this day.
Wayne, however died of bamboo poisoning ten years ago. He held the record for fights against black magicians - eight in all.
Simon Pearson. 3 Pry
It had been a long day. It was about nine 0' clock when I sank into the comfy armchair in front of the television. I had just filled myself with cheese and biscuits and was feeling very drowsy. The television was on, but it was only a party political broadcast, very boring, so I contentedly drifted into a peaceful sleep.
It suddenly seemed I was awake! I was seated in the ninth or perhaps tenth row of a large hall. Seated about me were several hundred other people, noisy bustling people, chattering in eager anticipation of what was to

come. I glanced around the spacious hall to see that the walls were splattered with probing posters proclaiming the National Front as the political party to restore Britain to a stable economic and political situation. Suspended from the ceiling above a makeshift platform was a banner stating, "Support the National Front in the general election". "What am I doing here"? I asked myself. Upon the platform at the front of the hall a tall man wearing a black blazer and a white polo-necked sweater stood up and stoooped to pick up a microphone. Above the shouting and movement at the rear of the hall, he defiantly announced, "Ladies and gentlemen, your candidate for this constituency in the elections next month, Mr . . . " But he was cut short by machine-gun fire from a man in the first row. The fearsome roar of the gun-fire made me shudder with fright. Like a fool, I sat where I was, having recovered from the initial shock. People around me were shouting and screaming frantically. I do not know what came over me but for some reason I was not afraid. I stood up to get a better view of what was going on. It seemed there were now four gunmen. One was standing on the edge of the platform shooting at all those seated who were supposed to be talking to the audience. I saw one man spin round as the bullets thudded into his abdomen and patches of blood appeared all over his shirt. Another gunman leapt into the gangway and indiscriminately fired into the frightened observers. Within seconds I was the only person left alive. There was a pause, a vague deafening silence, which gave me a moment to reflect on the situation at hand. Hundreds of dead bodies were littered around me. I thought again, "What am I doing here"? Cracks appeared in the walls and the ceiling plaster started crumbling. The cracks climbed up the walls like the complex pattern of a spider's web, and the entire building was collapsing about me. . .
I jumped suddenly, my ginger cat had leapt onto my lap, disturbing my 'peaceful' sleep. I yawned, stretching my arms wide. I looked up at the television set, a glum depressing face was staring at me from the screen, and a mournful voice warned, "Vote Conservative at the next election, as this could happen to you!"
Richard Hopkinson

"Bye, luv."
Jacqueline looked intently after the departing figure through the mist and after a minute or so turned and trudged wearily back through the dark and close night air.
Patrolman Mike Harvey did not look around as he left her, for he knew he had only a bare three minutes left before he was on duty. He pounded his arms and broke into a trot through the shrubbery and trees. After a few moments he saw a dull light feebly trying to poke its head through the mist, then another and another, until at a quarter to midnight on February 21st, he was standing in Fifth Avenue. He made his way three hundred yards along the long, straight, and dim-lit road and dashed up the steps of a tall, wide, imposing grey building, through the door, and brushed past Deans at the door.
"Hey, Mike, watch where yer goin! I know yer five
minutes late, but. . . " A smile broke out on Dean's face as he saw Harvey raise his left arm as if to hit him, and he hurried down the steps to the street. Harvey pushed his way into the squad room and wearily sank into a swing chair at his desk. He snatched up the rota placed in the centre of his desk and scanned the columns. Brady, 0' Keefe, Deano, until he came to Thursday 21st February 1973. Good! He was on with Chris Cordell. He slipped the large sheet of paper back on the desk and passed through into the locker room. He slipped into his dark blue uniform and donned his octagonal cap. After buckling up his empty holster he passed down seemingly endless shiny grey corridor, past hundreds of bleak and bare teak doors, until he reached the dull brass grille at the end. He smiled at the uniformed man behind it.
"I'll take my usual Police, Bill. Ta," he said as the shiny black Colt 045 Police special slipped under the grille along with a yellow form. He filled it in and sealed it with a wide, sprawling signature and the number 0575639 and slipped it back in return for a brown paper packet of twelve rounds. Then it was the long trek back to the squad room again. He saw Chris sitting on his desk with his feet on the swivel chair.

"Hang on a sec," motioned Harvey, as he pushed Chris' feet off the chair and sat down. He slit the parcel with his left thumb nail and dropped six cartridges into the pouch on the right side of his gunbelt. He thumbed the remaining six into the black apertures in the rotary breech and snapped the gun shut. He spun the breech casuallyuntil he successfully heard all six click home. Then he slipped the weapon into his holster.
"0. K., he said. and they signed a book on the large table in the centre of the room.
All was quiet out on the mountain road on the outskirts of the city. The friendly lights winked up at them from the city and Harvey peered at his watch. Twelve-twenty a.m. He sighed.
"What's up?" "Bored stiff. " Twelve twenty-five. The first car went by. Soon after there was a Iow hum and a second pulled in on the opposite side of the road. The interior was pitch black and no external lights were on the vehicle.
"That critter ain' t got no lights, Mike," said Chris. Mike Harvey sighed again and pulled himself out of
the black and white car. He started to walk slowly towards the dark vehicle and he sensed that Chris was right beside him. He stopped about forty yards from the vehicle.
"O.K. buster. Out you get."
Nothing happened. Harvey repeated himself.
Suddenly and without warning the car's headlights flashed on and he was blinded in the brilliant pool of light. His hand searched blindly for his gun down his left side as he cringed and he tried to level it steadily with both hands.
"OUT!" he screamed through the light which made it impossible to see who was in the vehicle.
The splintering sound of an engine coughing into life shattered the ensuing silence. The car surged towards him and Harvey fired. The windscreen splintered into a web of fragments but the car came on towards him. Thirty yards. He fired again and a trickle of dark liquid came from the second splintered hole in the windscreen. Ten yards. He fired again and realised too late that the

car would catch him. He feebly tried to slip to one side. He heard a scrunch of metal on flesh and bone and a searing pain surged through his lower stomach through his body and hit his brain. His leg flamed with agony and there was a long, drawnout and prolonged scream of pain and he felt the smooth bonnet of the car surge under him. He hurtled across it and there was a deafening shower of smashed glass.
Mike Harvey opened his eyes. A high-pitched
buzzing noise appeared to sway within him and he could not explain it. The car was nowhere in sight. He propped himself up on his elbow and looked around. It was the same stretch of mountain road, but he saw it through an eerie, dull, grey sheen which he also could not explain. Then his wandering gaze came to rest on his left leg. He screwed his eyes shut tight and gritted his teeth, waiting in terrified anticipation for the agony that was about to set itself upon him. But nothing happened. Just the same old whine in his ears and the grey sheen and the bloodsoaked trouser leg. He ran his hand through his hair and looked at it - it was covered with sticky, congealed blood. He got himself to his feet and still he felt no pain. He could walk perfectly well.
Chris was up at the same time.
"What's the noise an' the grey, Mike?"
. 'You hear it too? Glad it's not my imagination. " From the centre of Cordell's jacket bloomed a red flower which had obviously had time to soak up in the material fully. Chris knelt down and snatched up a scrap of newspaper that was being blown past by the wind. He stared at it.
"What's up, Chris?"
Cordell handed him the page. .. The date, " he said, pointing. Harvey read, November the thirtieth, 1975. He stared at Chris. There was a sort of silent colloquial understanding between the two of them and Chris nodded saying,
"I hope we catch up with them practical jokers. " Harvey nodded agreement. He glanced at his shattered wrist-watch face. Twelve twenty-nine.

"Cri pes! I said I'd meet Jaquie at twelve at the cemetery.' ,
"Mind if! come?"
"Nah, 'course not. You haven't met her yet, have you? No, I thought you looked innocent. Come on then, you just wait!"
They set off at a pace along the mountain road and ran for fifteen minutes until, weary, they reached the massive central cemetery's wrought iron gates. Harvey peered through the grey mist and saw the lone, forlorn figure kneeling by a grave some way down the path. Her long brown hair was blowing freely in the breeze. She silently arranged a bunch of flowers in the grille on the mound of rich turf. Next to that grave was' an identical one.
"That's her?" He smiled. "Whose graves?" "Mum's and dad's probably. She's a bit sentimental. " They pushed their way through the gates and approached the lone figure by the grave. They stopped in front of her.
"Sorry I'm late, Jaquie, but I was held up. . . "
She turned and looked in his direction. Her eyes
widened and her mouth dropped open. She screamed a feminine long, sharp, scream of terror. "Heck, Jacquie, what the. . . ?" and he made a clumsy step towards her. She screamed again and ran off down the path. .. Oh, let her go. She can be hysterical as well,
sometimes. ' , He stopped and picked up the few flowers she had dropped at his feet. As he did so, he stopped short as his eye caught the inscription on the grave next to the one where Jaquie had been laying the flowers. Before he could turn to Chris and say anything to him he saw the writing on the tombstone at the foot of which lay J aquie' s bunch of flowers. Shocked, he read it aloud:
He glanced at his watch again. Twelve twenty-nine.
He looked up at Chris. "Oh my God,,' he said softly.

CkMervyn 00 e

He thought that he was being followed.
The tree was a thief, waiting
with outstretched arms;
the lamp post was a
black shadow with a cruel,
shining blade
dripping with blood;
and the screaming cat was watching a
bloody murder
with unacknowledging eyes.
How could he know that insanity pushed its way
into his mind?
A noise!
A sharp, grating, whirring type of noise
that tensed his muscles.
He was ready to run
but the kaleidoscope of flashing colours caught his eye and he stared at the thing, mesmerized
as it floated
to land.
A mystic form,
a blur of light to him it seemed.
He thought it was real;
we are surprised that it was.
It was silent now,
resting undeterred in the ooze ofthe muddy field And it was still.

He ran,
ran fast to the police,
blabbed his story,
pleaded with unbelieving eyes to take notice of him.
But his madness bred contempt in the sane man's mind. He was not believed, but into a cell,
a comfortable, padded, mobile
van he was locked
and driven to the asylum.,
He was frightened.
He was more frightened than ever before.
He did not know any home
but for the home to which he was heading.
The padded cell greeted him
It had seen him before.
It was the home from which he had escaped.
But still he thought ofthe spaceship,
his story that was
not believed.

He did not know that everyone would soon know
of the sight that had greeted his eyes.
Nobody would live
to know that he had seen
the spaceship
for he was never believed.
William Marshall, 3As

I'm the king of the desert
I'm morbid, deadly and spine chilling I bring death to all foolish travellers, The sun destroys all life.
Exhausted trespassers lie dead, Torn to pieces by my beak.
I am the Buzzard
This is my territory
M. Hine, 3Py
Joyful and jubilant celebrations,---=:a=
Union Jacks and coloured decorations. Band leads procession as its music blares, Inferno towers high as the beacon flares. Loyal subjects congregating,
Each and every tongue narrating: "Elizabeth. God save the Queen". Adrian Hogg.
Written when in 3Fr.

The team began rather weakly, but improved during the Autumn term as many members gained in experience and fitness. A spirited display in atrocious conditions against the Duke of York's ended in a very pleasing 9- 7 win for the School.
In the Spring the improvement continued, and particularly enjoyable were the two hard fought matches against Christ Church College, Canterbury. The pack won enough possession to provide the backs with many opportunities for good running rugby in the School games, but lacked weight and experience against older opposition.
Martyn Michael led the side very ably, and often made a very significant personal contribution in his tackling, tactical kicking, and breaks.
Colours were reawarded to M. Michael and newly awarded to R. Spain, P. Wyatt and D. Smithard. Representative ties were awarded to K. Norris, C. Roberts and J. Cameron.
Playing record:
Played 12 Won 12 Lost 7
Points for 124 Against 119
This term has been a very successful one for the
team. We have been unbeaten in our school fixtures.
In the D19 County Inter-school competition we reached the last eigth beating Norton Knatchbull and Bexley-Erith Technical High School. In the quarter-final we lost to Borden School, Sittingboume.
One of our better wins was against Minerva Cricket Club and we were able to gain a good win over our old rivals Simon Langton School, Canterbury.
Our strength has been the depth that we have had in the senior school and being able to call on Penn, Hopkinson and Little from the fourth year, when we otherwise would have been short.
Enthusiasm and able leadership from Mark Janaway, the skipper, has made the 1st XI team this year one of our strongest for some time.
Playing Record:
Played 10 Won 6 Drawn 3 Lost 1

This year consolidated the position of the club in the School. A regular band of enthusiasts could be found practising on any of three days in the week after school, supervised either by Mr. Kemp or Mr. French. In the summer term a two-part knockout tournament was held, with a total of 150 entries. The Senior championship ended with Mark Janaway (4B) and Andy Kremer (4B) eliminated in the semi-finals, and Kalvin Clapson (SG) defeating Step hen Pearson (6Ms) in the final. In the Junior championship Nigel Solomon (3F) and Greenwood (3Py) reached the semi-finals, and Simon Pearson (3Py) defeated Kevin Arman (also 3Py) in the final.
The school had two teams in the Dover League. The
'A' team finished 5th out of 10 in Division 2, and the 'B' team 5th out of 8 in Division 3. Stephen Pearson and Kalvin Clapson played well throughout. The Dover Harbour Board team consisted of D.G.S.B. 5th years, and they finished 3rd in Division 3. Next year, with more teams in the League, and several young players maturing quickly, more success should come our way, and it seems that even more boys will want to participate in this sport.

A team of largely inexperienced players had to take on the mantle of the side which did so well in Div. 3 of the East Kent League last year. Life in Div. 2 is very much tougher, and no games were won in the Autumn term, although the standard of the young side rose considerably. In the Spring the steady improvement continued, many games being lost very narrowly. Then in

the final game against the table-topping Minic, there came the long awaited victory: thus the season ended on a high note.
The position of the team in the League was not too difficult to work out, the playing record being: Played 18 won 1 lost 17!!
Mark Janaway was the highest scorer with 162, and
he was reawarded his colours. Representative ties were awarded to K. Button, K. Robinson, A. Lewis and M. Lawrence. 1st XI FOOTBALL REPORT
After winning the 2nd Division of the East Kent Wednesday League for 3 consecutive years, the 1st XI were promoted to the first Division and won it at the first attempt. The team played confidently all season and produced fine victories over physically stronger opposition. The only real disappointment for the team was to be beaten in the semi-final of the League Cup.
16 12 2 2 50 33
In school matches the team also played well, especially in the Kent U19 Cup and we were unfortunate to be beaten in the Semi-final. The most impressive results were 4.1 -and 3.1 over strong opposition from Harvey and Sevenoaks. Unfortunately the team became complacent and lost matches against Dane Court and Norton Knatchbull, both of whom we were capable of beating.
13 8 1 4 35 23
Our thanks go to Mr. R. Hill and Mr. S. Bailey whose inclusion strengthened the Wednesday team, and to Mr. K. Ruffell for his much appreciated help in organizing the Wednesday League Matches.
Congratulations must be given to the Captain Kevin Kiely, who was selected to represent the Kent U19 A side in a tournament at Skegness. Credit must be given to

these players who formed the basis of the squad:
K. Kiely (Cpt.)G. PriceM. Donovan
A. StokesS. HughesM. Janaway
M. ScottR. DowleV. Buchanan
N. McCluskey J. McHugh M. Lawrence N. BramwellN. SyrettN. Beverton
Unfortunately the season was marred after the semifinal of a local five-a-side tournament, when it was discovered that N. Bramwell had broken his leg while playing for the school.
FOOTBALL Under 12 XI There were difficulties in organising a settled squad early in the season, and partly as a result two matches were lost to Astor's strong side. After those setbacks however the team enjoyed an unbeaten run in the weather affected Autumn programme, and a 'B' team won both the matches it played. In the Spring the side continued to improve, and won the Divisional Cup, defeating Sandwich 7-0 in the final.
Under 13 XI
Indecisive defensive play made the start of the season difficult, but once individual skills were blended into cohesive teamwork, the results began to show that this was a side of some quality. Julian Wilson led the side well and Martin Britton and Steven Buchanan made outstanding personal contributions. In the Spring term Sandwich were overcome in a replayed Divisional Cup final, after the first game had ended in a 4-4 draw.
Under 14 XI
There was a good deal of individual skill among the members of the squad, but the team performances were always disappointing. It is to be hoped that more enthusiasm for the game will be shown next year. Under 15 XI
Inconsistency, largely the result of an unsettled side, brought some disappointments this year. The final of the area group in the Kent cup was lost to Southlands in a replay, when the game should really have been won. In the Spring term there was an unexpected defeat at the hands of Castlemount in the Divisional cup, 4-2. Overall however the team continued to play attractive football, and provided a good number of area trialists. Chris Penn and Andy Young both played for Dover in the Autumn term. Many of this team will challenge for Ist XI places in 1978.79.

RUGBY Under 12 XV
A successful season, begun in style with the heavy defeat of Dover College, and ending with victory in an inter-school tournament organised by Canterbury Rugby Club. It is a talented squad which should do well in future.
Played 12 Won 10 Lost 2 Under 13 XV
An outstanding season was highlighted not only by the results, but also in the style of play. The whole side played with skill and flair, and with enthusiasm and obvious enjoyment. The teamwork and cooperation emanating from good understanding between the players undoubtedly gave the side the crucial advantage over many opponents. It is surely the finest junior side of recent years and could form the basis of good senior sides in a few years. Both on and off the field the team reflected great credit on the School.
Played 12 Won 12 Points for 356 Against 22 Under 14 XV
Several players showed ability during the season, but poor weather, injuries, and unavailability of some players combined to unsettle the side, which never fulfilled its potential. More determination and willingness to practice is necessary ifthe team is to improve.
Played 5 Won 2 Lost 3 Under 15 XV
Three defeats were sustained, one in a shortened game in appalling weather, one by a single point against a strong team, and one by a strong under 16 side. Otherwise there were many encouraging signs, particularly in the general improvement in forward play. Scrummaging remained the major weakness, as it often seemed we were pushed off ball that we had already won. The backs lacked cohesion, but have much individual talent. Many of this side could challenge for 1st XV places in 1978-79.
Played 8Won 4Lost 3Drawn 1Points for 159Against 73
Under 12 XI
A useful looking team emerged after wintry April trials. Ofthe 7
matches played 5 were won, 1 drawn, and 1 lost. The batting tended to be better than the bowling. We were pleased to defeat both Simon Langton and Chatham House before losing our unbeaten record to Astor in the last match of the season.

Under 13 XI
Some adventurous and attractive cricket was played by an improving team. Richard Pepper led the side well, and made important scores on several occasions. The batting was otherwise frail at times and the side's success owed much to the bowlers and the generally excellent standard of fielding. All six matches played were won.
Under 14 XI
One win in seven matches demonstrated the need for more practice for this team. The performances of Weaver and Humphries were encouraging, but on the whole the team lacked determination and enthusiasm.
Under 15 XI
Poor weather conditions limited the side to 5 matches, of which 3 were won and two lost. The success of one or two players naturally weakened the side, but we were nevertheless delighted that both Chris Penn and Richard Hopkinson were selected for Kent, and Chris Penn for South East England Xl. Sir Roger Manwood's and Chatham House were the two sides who defeated us. The side is a talented one and already 3 or 4 of its members have appeared with some success for the 1 st Xl.
Under 16 XI
The under 16s were formidable opponents when at full strength. Most of the matches played were in two cup competitions. In the French Cup (an all-England competition) we lost to Sheppey when very under-strength. In the County Cup (Invicta Cup) teams from Gravesend, Rochester and Welling were among those defeated before reaching the final, where the strength of Sheppey again proved too much, and they ran out winners 4-1. Richard Dowle again played for the Kent side and Nick Bramwell got as far as the final trial.
The Spring term was a particularly busy one, with much movement of equipment, and successful D of E expeditions. The notable feature of the Summer Term was the large number of small group activities, each with its own special features; the 5th and 6th years suffering the elements in the Brecon Beacons, and the 4th years had to pit themselves against snow and ice in their dawn ascent ofthe Snowdon horseshoe. The D of E Bronze award participants were more fortunate, with fine weather in Lyminge Forest. The summer holidays saw the continuation of this small-group activity, with expeditions as far afield as North Wales, the Lake District, Land's End, and Iceland.

A very busy Autumn term saw the School championships take place in a force 2-3 Easterly wind on a beautiful day in early October. After sailing finished at half term, a group of 5th/6th years under the leadership of Roger Lewis prepared to build the new Mirror dinghy.
In the Spring work continued on proficiency paper tests, and there was a trip to the London Boat Show at Earl's Court, but the highlight of the term was the building of the Mirror dinghy already mentioned.
The brought the return of competition, and it turned out to be one of the most successful seasons on record. Most of the training sessions were filled to overflowing, and extra boats were kindly lent b} the Invicta Sailing Centre. The introduction of two high performance dinghies at the Centre brought a great boost in 5th/6th year action. The School team led by lain Thomas, again won a place in the National Schools Team Racing Final, to be held in the Autumn.
Among the more notable results were:
2 boats selected for the Kent team at the National Schools Regatta. Tim Toole 2nd in the local Yacht Club 12 hr race
In the Kent Schools Championship, Andrew Thomas 1st in the Mirror Trophy
Mark Baker 1st in the Enterprise class Trophy
Tim Toole 1st in the Singlehanded Cup
and the team 1st in the Team Cup.
Gary Barlow won the Firefly Trophy in the RC.P. Y.c. Regatta Andrew Perriam 1st in the Invicta Sailing Centre Youth Regatta Andrew Thomas 1st in the Downs Mirror Class Open meeting Andrew Perriam and Michael Hine won the Gill Cup competed for in the middle school by boys and girls in Mirror dinghies.
In the Autumn, sailing colours were reawarded to lain Thomas, and awarded to Anthony Smither, Andrew Thomas, Peter Blackman and Mark Baker. Representative ties were reawarded to Jhn Clark and Adrian Smith, and awarded to Martin Price and Marco Pearce.
There was some improvement in the overall standard of athletics in the School despite the rather wintry weather that prevailed for much of the Summer term. The first 3 years were involved in inter-schools matches, the first years gaining three firsts, the second years three firsts, and the third years two firsts and one second.
In the S.E. Kent Championships first places were won by; Wellings in the Junior triple jump, Gill in the Intermediate 200 metres, and Woods in the Intermediate discus. These boys competed in the County Championships, where Wellings came third. Two seniors also competed at the County level, Steve Talbot in the 800 metres, and Steve Fulton in the SOOO metres. Talbot finished 2nd, and represented Kent at the English Schools' Championships at Chesterfield. In the Powell trophy event, the School was placed 2nd behind the Duke of York's. There is no doubt that there is considerable athletic potential in the School, and the future looks very encouraging.

Initially there was a lack of enthusiasm among the year group, but the situation improved as the season progressed. Poor shooting and passing, and lack of movement off the ball were the major problems in the Autumn, when only one of the four games was won. The record in the Spring was little better, and the shooting of Nick Wall was impressive. A greater number of boys also showed interest.
Playing record: Played 7 Won 3 Lost 4 Under 15
Only seven games were played throughout the season, of which 5 were lost. Despite this poor record there was an obvious improvement in the standard of play, and much individual ability was evident. Poor shooting, and hesitant teamwork were the main failings; the defence was generally quite tight. Probably the best basketball of the season was played against Castlemount, when the team produced good teamwork despite the absence of several regular players. Hard work is necessary if the potential of the team is to be harnessed to produce a good senior side in the next 2 to 3 years.
In the S.E. Kent championships our Juniors teams finished 2nd and 3rd, and the Intermediate team first, nine boys being selected to run in the County championships at Sidcup. At these championships our Senior representatives acquitted themselves well in a field of national class, which included the eventual English Schools' champion. Steve Fulton ran magnificently to finish 18th, and was selected for the Inter-counties match the following week, when he finished 16th. In the Powell Cup races, Astor and Frith tied for first place.
Cross country colours were awarded to Steve Talbot, Charlie Roberts, and Steve Fulton.
There was good competition with the Grammar Schools of both Canterbury and Folkestone during the short summer season. Two early matches were enjoyed but lost to Simon Langton and Harvey, and then in the tournament for the Ames Cup with teams from Canterbury, Fokestone and Ashford, the Dover mixed team finished 3rd, close behind second-placed Folkestone and the worthy winners, Canterbury. The boys in this mixed team were Butcher, Haddrell and Betts. The Connaught courts were again popular during games sessions, but the attempt to run a lunch time ladder on our own courts had to be abandoned due to a lack of support.

With the progression of time, it becomes increasingly evident that the bonds forged between Parents and the School become stronger. We are in the almost unique position of knowing that our presence, far from being an embarrassment or nuisance, is actually welcomed and encouraged. Certainly our active and generous support has become increasingly important when stringent economies exist and we are hopeful that parents who are new to the school this year will join us. Only good can come from parents and staff working or relaxing together and the Association presents many opportunities during this year to do this in a friendly way. Our active support will go far in encouraging boys along that difficult road of settling down, growing up, and above all, finding their place in society.
Our Executive Committee directs the affairs of the Association and election is open to all members. Last Autumn our new Secretary, Mrs. Adeline Reidy, replaced Mrs. Scott who had moved away from the area. Also at the A.G.M. new faces were elected to the Committee.
Guest Evening followed in November when the Parents' and Friends' Association had on display, in situ, their newly acquired House Display Board. Here was a long awaited need realised, and at the same time an opportunity for the Association to provide a memento in commemoration of H.M. The Queen's Silver Jubilee. Also on the display was the prize-winning entry designed and executed by Burton and Stone. Their telescope won for them 25.00 which is awarded by the Association for a project which demonstrates ingenuity and imagination in almost any field.
A successful new venture was held in November, a Pub Games Evening, which we hope to repeat this year, with some modifications. Informality will again be the aim and we hope to attract some parents who are less likely to attend more formal get-togethers.
Access to evening functions will be much easier as arrangements are currently in hand for additional and improved lighting to be provided between the school gate and the main door.
The Spring Fair held in April once again transformed the Hall into a Grand Bazaar. Following weeks and months of careful planning and preparation ev.ery conceivable and inconceivable item was sold and only the sharp eye of our Caretaker prevented the piano stool from disappearing too. At the eleventh hour it was seen with a SOLD notice attached. Such is the keenness of our Committee.
The Nearly New Shop continues to sell good, second-hand clothes all the year round. Parents and committee members are responsible for the running of the shop. Any parents who have not seen items for sale at the New Parents' Evenings are certainly invited to visit the shop which opens every Thursday afternoon at 1 0' clock at the school.

For six years the Committee has been guided under the able chairmanship of Mr. Arthur Syrett. During this time he conducted the business side of the meetings with quiet good humour and efficiency, and a wealth of ideas were behind many of our fund-raising activities. During this time he saw three changes of secretary and his valuable and painstaking assistance to them enabled the work to carry on in the smoothest possible way. An evening to mark his retirement from the committee was given to him and Mrs. Syrett in May. We shall miss Arthur for a long time but evidence of his hard work is round the school and will be savoured by many boys who are yet to come.
Looking forward, next year will be the 75th Anniversary of the School which was founded in 1904. We are confident that Parents and Friends, together with Staff and Boys, and the Old Pharosians will go all out to make this year a very special event. The present building was opened in 1931 and our funds have made possible such recent additions as the Music Room, Advanced Science Laboratory and Swimming Pool. Acquisition of the new replacement mini-bus, a timely purchase undertaken this year, and to a lesser degree, purchases such as lighting, cricket screens, rugby shirts - the list is endless - still goes on. As we step forward into the future we do so with pride and optimism and with a confidence that we are backed by the support of so many Parents and Friends.
Kathleen Hogg

President: A. E. Coulson
Secretary: C. J. Henry, Lachine, Byllan Road, River Dover.
Treasurer: Rev. W. F. Kemp, The Rectory, Denton, Canterbury.
Newsletter Editor: E. H. Baker, 24 Downs Road, Maidstone.
The Old Pharosians exists to further the interests and well-being of the School, and to bring together themany who wish to maintain links and share precious memories. But it is not an old mens' club; rather it is a way for all old pupils to come together, and it needs the enthusiastic support of recent leavers, particularly those in the immediate area.

Born in 1886, Miss Rookwood qualified in 1909 as a
teacher with distinction in English. She came to Dover County School in 1917, her appointment being, "for the duration of the war". Fortunately for the school she stayed until the next war. She found her life's work in charge of boys aged eight to eleven years in the Trans- Prep. Department. These boys had no option but to learn the foundations of literacy and numeracy. To the end of her days her former pupils, often risen to distinguished walks of life, would correspond with her and visit her. Sometimes they left a cheque; always they expressed in one way or other, their thanks for sure foundations laid.
She produced many school plays and, on her retirement, presented the Rookwood annual prize for drama.
In the second world war, at Ebbw Vale, her health began to fail and, on doctor's orders, she retired. Dover remained her home for a long time but perforce she had to move to hospital in Thanet.
On 28th June, 1978 at a meeting of the Old Pharosians in London, those who had been taught by Miss Rookwood decided to send a letter to her from the meeting. All present signed the letter. Miss Rookwood died that same evening.
Her funeral was private but a memoral service was held in St. Andrew's Church, Buckland on 2nd August, the lesson being read by the President of the Old Pharosians. Her ashes were interred in Buckland Churchyard in accordance with her wishes. In Buckland Church she had fostered that Christianity which brought strength of purpose to her work and her whole life.