No. 127. SPRING, 1959. VOL. XLIX.



Editorial School Skiing Party
In Brief Phoenix Society
The Late Rev. Canon A. S. Cooper, B.Sc. C.C.F. Notes R.N. Section
D Bradley, Esq., J.P. R.A.F. Section
Travelling at Night Army Section
Poem Library Notes
The Countryside Through the War Cercle Francais
By Rail to Dover Puppet Club
Midday and Midnight Football
A Cold and Windy Day in Town Rugby
The Pike Inter-House Gymnastics
The Tramp House Notes
Love Valete
The Story of a River Old Pharosian News
Invective in Perspective News of Old Boys
Geography Field Day, March, 1959 Parents' Association
S.C.M. Conference


    We have found that writing an editorial is one of the most difficult tasks in editing the magazine. When enough articles and all the notes of the seemingly innumerable societies and teams have at last been gathered, there still remains our own handiwork to be put together. The chief trouble lies in that we do not know what to write about. Are we to record the school's activities? We look for hints in old editorials but things seemed to happen then which could excite some interest. The "In Brief" entries show what happens; can we comment on these entries which are the same as last year's in all but the names?
    Are we, on the other hand, to comment on the magazine? Previously this seems to have meant a general criticism of the lack of original articles, and this criticism, however true, becomes hackneyed. To comment we must look at the articles; and you, the reader, have done this already, if you are of the normal run who leave the editorial to be read last if at all. It sometimes seems this first page has become obsolete, but there is a great love of tradition in the School and we feared the outcry there would have been had we not written this.


In Brief

Twenty-six boys, accompanied by Mr. King, attended an S.C.M. Conference on 19th March at the Folkestone Grammar School for Girls. Twenty-four sixth form Geography students with Mr. Ruffell went on a fieldwork ramble to Thanet with members of other Kent Grammar Schools on 19th March.

On 28th April, a lecturer for Dr. Bamardo's Homes, Lt.-Col. W. Rose, spoke and showed a film to boys in the Middle and Lower School.

A party of junior boys, accompanied by Mr. Harvey, visited an exhibition of Electric Rolling Stock at the Priory Station.

On 2nd June, five Colonial students from the University of London Institute of Education, on an educational study visit to Kent, spent the day at the School.


The sudden death of Canon Cooper on the 15th October came as a great shock. Many tributes have already been paid to him for his service to the Town and Port of Dover in the post-war years. His interest in public affairs turned particularly to Education and it was not surprising that he was appointed Chairman of the Divisional Executive after the death of Captain Powell.

For us in the Schools his concern was a very personal one as was evident even before we returned from evacuation. When, subsequently, a Board of Governors for the Grammar Schools was appointed under the 1944 Act he became Chairman. It is very natural that we should think of him in that capacity. It meant, of course, presiding at functions, notably at Speech Days and this he did in his own distinctive way. But he was not just Chairman of the Governors; he was a friend of the School. He was delighted when boys recognised him in the street; he found time to join in the festive side of school life, particularly at Christmas, and to support School Concerts and Plays.

Perhaps it is most fitting that at this time we should underline our debt to him by recalling the impressive Jubilee Service which he conducted at St. Mary's in 1955. We should like to think that he, too, treasured that memory to the end.

D. Bradley, Esq., J.P.

The School welcomed Mr. Bradley at Speech Day in November when he took over the duties of Chairman of the Governors. He and Mrs. Bradley are no strangers to the School; their two sons are both Old Boys who have brought distinction to it. We are delighted to know that the link with the family is to be so closely maintained and we wish Mr. Bradley a long and happy period in office.

Magazine Section

It seemed to have been dark for an eternity. Everything was quiet save for the noises of the train. There was the eternal, rhythmic, "clickety clack, cickety clack" of the iron wheels as they rushed over the joints in the rails. We were fairly near to the locomotive, and so the hiss of escaping steam was occasionally brought to us. Suddenly there was a hollow roar, the carriage swayed, and a dozing passenger in the opposite seat groaned quietly as we thundered over a small bridge. I roused myself from a dazed state of apathy and peered through the window. I could see the lights of a town blurred in the distance, and, superimposed on them, the gently swaying reflection of the compartment interior. It was strange, out of place, in the steady, darkened countryside. The compartment lights looked like great stars, blurred by the smears on the window, and the whole reflection looked ghostly and unreal. I also saw, and was fascinated by, a seemingly swaying, whip-like, ribbon of light, the light from the window being reflected on the other track. Then a gentle shuddering of the carriage awoke me from my dazed fascination. The brakes! The train negotiated a sharp curve. I could just hear the now slow panting of the locomotive, and I could see the ruddy glow of its fire, reflected in the billowing clouds of steam which issued from its funnel. The "clickety clack" rhythm slowed, and it brought a strange feeling of anti-climax. Suddenly it was lost completely in discordant clatterings and bangings as the train crawled over the points. The sleeping passenger groaned and awoke as the points rocked the compartment violently, and he looked about dazedly. Now we were in the town whose lights I had seen. Grey, sleeping, silhouettes of houses slid by, until, with a final squeak, and violent jerk, we stopped at the station.

I stirred my legs, and stretched, realising for the first time how stiff I was. I felt suddenly cold, a coldness born of my tiredness. There were not many lights on the platform itself, save for the bright lamps shining on its name plates: Folkestone Central. Not far to go now. But if the platform was ill-lit, light streamed through the windows of the various offices behind it. A steady hissing of steam from the locomotive could be heard, except when it was drowned by the maddening clatter and rumble of a porter's hand truck. A few soldiers, laughing raucously, got on, with a tramp of boots. Two, glum-looking, silent civilians got off. No-one entered or left our compartment. Not a great exchange of passengers. We had stopped mainly for luggage. One or two doors were slammed, with staccato bangs. Then there was silence, except for the hissing of escaping steam. Finally, just as I was beginning to doze, the shrill shriek of the guard's whistle announced our departure. One wheel only squeaked, and we smoothly resumed our journey. The "clickety-clack, cickety-clack" rhythm speeded up once more, the carriage again swayed gently.

For the first time I studied my fellow-passengers. I felt less lethargic now that we were nearing home. There were only three other passengers in the compartment. The man who had awakened at the station was now asleep again. He was in the opposite corner of the compartment from me. His hatless, rather dirty head lolled in the corner. His mouth was open, and he occasionally snored, or wheezed asthmatically. A paper-backed book lay open on his lap, on uncreased, ageing trousers. He had not read the book since we had left London. A mixture of a wheeze and a snore caused me to glance at his heaving chest, which was adorned by a 'white' shirt, the colour of his stubbly chin, and a food-blotched red tie, framed by the collar of a singularly scruffy grey jacket, completely unbuttoned; a revolting character.

Of the two other passengers, one was my mother, and one was an elderly lady, who had a streaming cold. It had stayed dormant until then, but now she sniffed violently, and frequently. She had a white, wrinkled face, and grey, unruly hair, upon which perched a shapeless bottle-green hat, kept in position by a large hatpin bearing an iridescent knob. A grey, beltless coat covered her ample form. She appeared, while not asleep, to be in a trance. Her eyes were motionless, and she swayed in time with the carriage. The sniffing seemed automatic, but was none the less nauseating for all that. I had only just made these observations when the train pulled into Dover Priory station. In a twinkling my tiredness, and everything else, was forgotten, in the rush and commotion of disembarking.

M. A. PLAYER (3A).


My plane, a sleek-nosed dart,
Wings through the stratosphere
A sight to touch the coldest heart,
While I, the pilot, find comfort here.
For all this is a day-dream.
I am only small John Gray.
But someday this dream will come alive,
I know it will, not may.

J. GRAY (2C).


The countryside is a place of wonder,
With lakes and trees and all its splendour;
I really don't know what we'd do
Without its eversplendid hue.

Out in the fields, the glens and the hills,
All of it's bare with the winter chills;
But when the spring comes with its shimmering green,
The fields grow fat from the winter lean.

Comes summer with its shining glory,
Then autumn with its gloomy story;
This picture of our countryside,
Should fill our minds with inward pride.

G. NOLAN (2D).


The story of railways to Dover goes back as far as the early 1830's, when railways in Kent were represented solely by the Canterbury-Whitstable line, powered by the old Invicta. In the next fifteen years all the principal towns of Kent were to be linked by an extensive network of railways. Lines had been proposed by local companies for the North Kent district as early as 1824 and 1832, both being rejected by the Lords as economically unsound. The first major scheme to be put forward was by the South Eastern, and proposed to connect London and Dover via Oxted, Tonbridge, Maidstone and Ashford. Although this is the more direct route, it necessitates very heavy engineering works at several places, and a locomotive of a power hitherto unknown. It was therefore abandoned, and an alternative route adopted. In 1835, an Act sponsored by the Brighton Railway sanctioned a line from London Bridge to Brighton, via Reigate. The House remarked that this line and the proposed S.E. line ran parallel for the first ten miles as far as Earlswood Common, and, one line being considered sufficient, the Brighton Railway was authorized to construct the line and the S.E. was given the right to purchase it. This they did in July 1842, obtaining running rights from just north of the present Coulsden South into London Bridge: this portion of the line they shared with the Brighton Railway, having leased it for 999 years. Traffic from London Bridge to Reigate had begun in July 1841, although until the early 50's S.E. traffic on this route was handled by Brighton locomotives. The position was further simplified for the S.E. when in 1850 the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, as the Brighton Railway was renamed, opened their own terminus at London Bridge.

However, the S.E. had not given up their plan for a Dover Railway. By August 1842 Reigate and Headcorn had been linked, and by December Ashford was reached. Here the S.E. built their locomotive and carriage works, now, as then, the chief source of employment in the neighbourhood. Folkestone had been reached by June 1843, and Dover Town, opposite the present engine shed for Dover Marine, by February 1844. These last few miles had presented a unique problem for railway engineers, of course. It was eventually solved by the renowned William Cubitt, who tunnelled through the solid chalk fifty feet from the sea: in over a hundred years no trouble has occurred in any of the three remarkable tunnels. Cubitt's most renowned piece of work was at Round Down Cliff, where he blew two million cubic yards of chalk into the sea with 18,500 lb. of gunpowder—an event that was watched, from a safe distance, by large numbers of awful spectators. When the route was completed, London, by the fastest train, was only two
hours fifty minutes away!

Nor had the S.E. been idle in other fields. Their main object now was to reach Chatham, and to this end the Thames and Medway Canal, which ran from Gravesend to Strood (the last two miles being in a tunnel), was purchased from the Gravesend and Rochester Railway Company, and a track was laid along the towpath. In 1846 the canal was drained and a railway laid along its bed. A service from Strood to Denton was started
in the July of 1849, and in the following year a branch from Denton to the Greenwich Railway was built, and a service from Strood to New Cross started: thus began the story of Chatham.

By the late '40's and early '50's the dominance of the S.E. was seen by everyone, and raised hostility and opposition in not a few. A railway was proposed from Strood to Dover, to be called the East Kent Railway, and a company was formed under the engineer, T. R. Crampton, and Lord Harris, who owned large tracts of land between Sittingbourne and Canterbury. It was pointed out that this route was considerably more direct than the circuitous one of the S.E. Railway, and a Bill put before Parliament early in 1853 for the proposed railway was passed. A single-line track from Strood to Faversham was opened in March 1858, with five trains each way every day, the journey taking fifty minutes, or thirty-eight minutes on the two fast trains. All trains had 1st, 2nd and 3rd class accommodation, and were drawn by locomotives borrowed from the Great Northern railway. The extension to Canterbury did not appear until July 1860, and the line to Dover Priory had to wait until July 1861. After this, though, great strides were made, for by the November of 1861 a line to Dover Harbour had been built, and in the July of the next year a boat service to Calais was inaugurated, the East Kent, which in 1859 had acquired the more dignified title of the "London, Chatham and Dover Railway," having secured a contract for carrying mail to the Continent. Thus, although a change of trains was necessary, a highly satisfactory service between London and Dover was in operation, and the service was in no way impeded by the necessity of travelling along the S.E.'s metals from Strood, for the S.E. had been instructed by the Lords to handle the East Kent traffic as expeditiously as their own, rivalry among different companies being definitely discouraged. Incidentally, the L.C.D.R. gained a monopoly for Canterbury-Dover traffic, a very useful asset for a company in its early stages.

A new company had thus entered a territory that the S.E. had dominated for nearly twenty years, and the latter was further shaken by talk of a London connection for the L.C. & D.R. to make it independent of the North Kent line. Nevertheless, it still felt it was in a strong enough position to be able to refuse an offer for the L.C. & D.R. in the early '60's. By 1861 the L.C. & D.R. had a London terminus—Victoria—and a line to Chatham via Beckenham, to connect it with its Dover services, so that there were now two distinct routes to London: one on the S.E.'s metals via Ashford, Tonbridge and Reigate to London Bridge, the other, in the safer trains of the Chatham Railway, to Victoria, via Canterbury, Chatham and Beckenham.

Let us now look at the Railway scene in Dover itself in the 1860's. The diagram shows the main lines only and the stations present at various times. As you can see, there has certainly been a profusion of stations in Dover. Starting from the North end, we see the branch to Deal, sanctioned for the Chatham Railway as early as 1862, but not built until 1881, with the help of the S .E. As this line was the wrong way round for London-Deal trains on the Chatham Railway, Kearsney loop was added in July 1882.

It will be remembered that the S.E. had already reached Deal by the Minster branch from its Canterbury-Margate line, but this was six miles longer than the joint route, although both companies' fastest through trains to Deal ran from London in two hours twenty-five minutes. The first station in Dover from the North is Dover Priory. This was Chatham's original Dover terminus, and the present station is a reconstruction, opened in 1932. The old Dover Harbour station comes next: this dated from 1861, and was out of
use by 1927.

The S.E. terminus was Dover Town, opposite the present engine shed, although a line ran through on to the old Pier, as did one from the Chatham Harbour Station, for passengers wishing to board the ferry to Calais. The two tracks ran alongside each other on the Pier, and betting as to which train would run on to the Pier first was a regular pastime for street loafers. This pier was replaced by the Marine Station, which dates from 1914, being built mainly on land reclaimed from the sea by Dover Harbour Board. Of fares from Dover, little seems to be known, although in 1861 the Chatham Railway was offering a 2s. 6d. day return ticket to London!

The railway scene in Dover has changed relatively little since those days. Services are perhaps better, fares certainly more expensive. There are really only three more important events in the railway history of this area. By the late nineteenth century the growth of railways in Kent had virtually come to a halt, and in the late '80's the separate identity of each company was lost in the combined South Eastern and Chatham Railway. With the increased profits, the cross-channel services were improved, and several very peculiar boats were built—unsuccessfully—to combat sea-sickness.

The most pertinent date is 1923, the year in which the S.E. & C.R. was amalgamated with its more westerly neighbours, the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, with the L.S.W.R., and with several minor companies, forming the Southern Railway. For Dover, this meant little more than a change of name and of the colour of engines and rolling stock. Under the S.R., the services were improved and most of the times were considerably better than today. The old Company pride still remained in the staff, who struggled to keep their engines and rolling stock spotless and in top condition, and who took pride in punctual running and efficient and comfortable services. All these features disappeared soon after 1st January, 1948, when the S.R. became, conveniently, the Southern Region of British Railways. Since then there has been an all-round deterioration, which, let us hope, will be remedied by the advent of electric and diesel trains!



It is midday in the country in summer and very hot. The brilliant sun beats down on the stilled countryside. A slight breeze blows up as the clouds from the west slowly drift across the bright blue sky. The swaying dodder grass releases its black pollen, which hangs on the breeze for a minute and then disperses. The breeze, blowing across an unmown hayfield, makes it look like a rolling sea of liquid greens. Over a wood it makes the leaves toss and twirl. Some fir trees serenely move with it as they stand quietly out against the blue. It also brings from afar the smell of new-mown hay. On the distant hills the cloud-shadows chase each other, leaping hedges, ditches and trees. In the woods there is a sharp contrast between the heat outside and the coolness inside. The sun's rays filter through the leaves, making darker and lighter greens on the wood's mossy floor. In a clearing, which the breeze can only just reach, quaking grass gently bows its head. All is quiet, save for the hurrying of insects, for most other creatures find it too hot to venture out at midday.

It is midnight in the woods. The breeze has turned into a wind and moans through the trees. Shadows sway across the clearing like unknown monsters tossing in awful combat. Moonbeams striking on the wood's floor make it look like the surface of another planet. Out of the wood the hayfield trembles and quakes in the wind, no longer green but silver and black. The firs bend and twist looking unreal, almost naked, standing stark against the night sky. A cloud drifts across the moon; for a brief moment everything is dark, and then changes to silky silver. The only thing that seems the same as in daylight is the smell of the mown hay borne on the wind.



P. J. Chatfield (U.6.Sc.)


Frantic young ladies were chasing precious hats, and newspapers, ice-cream cartons and old chocolate wrappings danced merrily in eddying whirlpools, chasing buses and cars, soaring over rooftops and down onto once-clean garden lawns. Washing lines were full of pyjama-tops and pink petticoats, whilst some unfortunates played chase with their soft linen sheets. Sea-gulls glided in and out of the dark canyons of the town, sailing over the town hall and playing in the dusty windows and the concrete pier-piles.

The poor park-keeper vainly pursued litter round trees and see-saws, whilst the earth from the gardens covered up his footpaths. It was Saturday, and hundreds of kites could be seen; bright red boxkites that flew serenely along with prancing diamond-shaped ones escorting them like courtiers fussing round a king. Then there were the aeroplanes weaving in and out of them and gliding down the hillside and sticking fast in the swaying trees down in the valleys.

The West wind made all the telephone wires sing and leap for joy! The cold raced under the doors, through cracks in windows, down the chimneys and even through the keyholes! All the people went about in the streets wearing huge duffle coats with hoods, scarves as long as ropes, and gloves and mittens of all descriptions. Some young girls wore hideous blue woollen socks, though I must admit I envied them.

By ten o'clock in the morning all the chimneys were belching forth huge quantities of dirty, sooty, black smoke which promptly fell on nice clean sheets and made mothers extremely annoyed. The gale rose, and soon huge waves were breaking on the promenade, the spray flying inland and making the washing wet!

As a pack of dripping-wet teenagers emerged from a coffee bar and hurried to their homes I decided I'd had enough fun; the waves became smooth, I stopped blowing the chimney-smoke about, I let the kites glide lazily and slowly flutter down into the undergrowth, and I let my son, little breeze, take over where I left off!

T. LAGEY (3B).


The low, eastern sun lit up the cloudless sky and shone down onto the dew-covered grass. Round a curve in the hills came a single-decked country bus, its bright red paint reflecting the sun as it ground to a halt beside a small wood of pinetrees.

A fresh-faced young man alighted carrying fishing gear. After watching the bus disappear from view, he began to walk into the wood where a shallow brooklet ran along-side the path which ended at a deep river, running through the centre of the valley. Arriving at the river, the young man gently lowered all his gear onto the grass beneath a large pine tree and began to arrange his rods and lines in a methodical manner. After assembling his fresh water rod, he fixed a small fish to the hook, and walking to the edge of the river made his first cast. The line flew through the air and struck the water in the centre of the river. Satisfied, he waited until the float bobbed up to the surface, then he walked a few paces along the bank still holding the line and moving the bait to attract the pike's attention. After a while he sat down on a boulder at the edge of the river, idly watching the tiny minnow darting through the shimmering water. On the opposite bank was a steep slope covered with white and purple heather. To his right, he could see a glimpse of the main road through the trees and on his left was the boulder-strewn river winding out of sight. There the river rose and deep water began near where the man was fishing. Suddenly he was alert! The bell on the end of the rod tinkled loudly. He leaped to his feet and grasped the rod firmly with both hands and tried to pull the pike out of the water. The "big fellow" threshed the water furiously, and afraid the fish might get away, the young man gave the line a sharp tug. The line snapped! With a feeling of frustration he reeled in the remaining part of the line and walking back to the pine tree began to prepare another line. This time he walked a little further down the river bank before casting again. He settled down to wait, but was astonished to feel the line pulled almost out of his hands. Aware of his previous mistake, he pulled in the line steadily and the pike rose struggling to the surface. With a sudden leap, it jumped clear of the water, falling back again with a tremendous splash. The rod was almost jerked from his hand and the young man was in danger of being pulled into the water. Now the pike, desperately trying to free itself from the hook, was threshing the water into a miniature whirlpool. Then as suddenly the water was still, the pike was away for the second time. The young man leaned, panting, against the boulder, cursing his luck. Then, with a dejected air he gathered up his line and went back to the pine tree. After a sandwich and a drink from his flask, he tried again, but without success. By now it was getting dark and a mist was rising from the river. The last bus would soon be coming down the hill. He must not miss it. With a feeling of unreasonable anger against the pike, he packed up his equipment and with a surly look at his watch, turned to take the path through the wood to the bus stop.



The tramp is an outcast of society, a dust-caked mortal
Whose heart is free from the mere trivialities of life,
Whose wandering spirit will guard his soul from war and strife.
Not envied by society
He cares not for Opinions.
He has the great advantage of being what he is;
The tramp is independent, free.
Despised by the world is the tramp,
Rough, spirited, unclean,
But do not regard him as Nature's fluke,
Your breath would be wasted;
The tramp has grown used to rebuke.

N. D. OLOMAN (2D).


Love is the essence of life.
Love is the beginning and the ending.
Love beats in every heart.
It burns and grows in time.
It makes self preservation possible.
Love is the password to heavens.
Love is the child of nature,
It has been cared for,
It is cultivated and it grows.
Love is a man's repose.

N. D. OLDMAN (2D).


The river slid slowly past the banks. Years before, a small trickle of water had run where now a large and busy river flowed. Ships plied up and down, and now and then huge liners from America came upstream and docked, unloading hundreds of passengers, and also a small amount of cargo. This was the busy part of the river but further upstream fishermen squatted on the banks casting their lines, for the trout of this river were famous and the favourite haunts of the fishermen were The Kelt and Salmon Pools. These were large shady meres covered by the branches of the trees. Besides trout there were other fish which liked to lie in the shade where they snapped at the flies which lay on the surface.

Each day would pass and darkness would descend on the river and instead of boats one would see ghostly lights flitting over the water, and hear the splash of unseen waves against the boats lying at their moorings. The cranes which had been busily clanking during the day, would now stand like black skeletons reaching towards the stars and the noises of the town would sound strange and frightening. The busy life of the river would be hushed, for the huge liners from America did not come as frequently as during the daytime, and the tugs pulling streams of barges, were no longer to be seen. They lay silent at their moorings.

After the winter had gone and the thaw set in the river began to rise. This was seen by the people and they put up sandbag walls. However, the river burst through this barrier and into the Low Country beyond. Many people were stranded and the flooded paths and roads were of no avail. Downstream the rising water did not alarm the people for the dock walls stopped the flooding. Upstream, however, boats, large and small, were floating around on the water. Stranded families reached out with long sticks to pull them near and row to safety, but soon the level of the water dropped and everyone helped clear away the mess. The river was returning to its normal life.

M. CooK (2B).

B. Jarvis (L.6A)


(Where lucidity reigns, a scale of values becomes unnecessary—Camus).

With all due respect to Messrs. ("Long and Cool") Loveard and McDonald, their recent article "T.T.U." gives a very misleading and inaccurate view of the jazz scene, and can only succeed in confusing those at whom it was aimed.

Bop was not invented by Gillespie & Parker, Inc., and it was not invented at a Red Norvo recording session. Just as well accept Jelly Roll Morton's fatuous statement: "Man, I invented jazz," or W. C. Handy's "Man, I invented the blues." Bop was the logical culmination of a musical development that started with King Oliver's predilection for saxophones and terminated at Minton's Play-House on 118th St. around 1940. During the late '20's Louis Armstrong, Earl Hines, and others were blowing well outside the traditional jazz framework, and were inspiring younger musicians who later became the nucleus of the swing era. The greatest influence on the formation of bop came via the large swing orchestras from about 1935 onwards. One tenor saxophone, Coleman Hawkins, had already shown the way melodically and harmonically, while retaining the older jazzman's intense vibrato, and it was left to Lester Young, with the 1937 Basie band, to establish the new conceptions of tone and rhythm. Also with Count Basie, Jo Jones had perfected the use of the pedal cymbal, while the Count himself evolved a simpler, yet more subtle, use of the piano. Duke Ellington's fine 20-year-old bassist, Jimmy Blanton, perfected modern bass-playing, only to meet a tragically early death in a T.B. sanatorium, and finally, Charlie Christian, guitarist with Benny Goodman, managed to leave his mark on jazz before meeting a fate similar to Blanton's. The final decisive factor was, paradoxically, the collapse of the swing era. Rather than continuing to play swing which had been butchered by white clowns such as Harry James and Ziggy Elman, or going back to more primitive styles, the Negro decided to move forward, into a strange land of Afro-Cuban rhythms, flatted fifths, fugues and polytonality.

Quote, Dizzy Gillespie: "They were so hostile out there! They thought we were just playing ugly on purpose. They were so very, very, very hostile! They were really very square. Man, they used to stare at us so tough!"

Yet, in spite of the modernist's musical ideas, the fact remains that there is no fundamental difference between modern and traditional jazz. This fine classification of styles can be carried to the absurd extent whereby every prairie-town in the U.S.A. has its own style of jazz. Mr. Loveard, in his article, has made the mistake of taking hop out of its context in the evolution of jazz, and treating it as a radically different musical form. Jazz is jazz, rooted in the Blues, and every great musician from Tommy Ladnier to Charlie Parker had that in common. Of course, the modernist messes around with "them weird chords," but this harmonic exploration is no more than a reflection of the Negro's assimilation of modern classical techmques.

Jazz is, in fact, an emotional rather than an intellectual art-form, and it cannot be subjected to a rigid scale of values. Thus a simple musical phrase as played by Louis Armstrong becomes a thing of beauty because of the tone and the accent and the placing of the notes relative to the beat, while the same phrase would sound flat and lifeless in the hands of a classical musician. This is another point that Mr. L. fails to grasp, when he says that anyone can understand jazz if he is "willing to try." Jazz is not the music to listen to with head buried deep in hands, but a direct expression of human feeling, of universal human feeling, common to everyone of whatever colour, class or intellect.

As such it is a very personal expression, and people of various temperaments are attracted to various styles. The person who "likes Chris Barber but can't understand these modernists" is simply saying that the Barber style appeals to him, however hackneyed that style may be. The chances are that his appreciation of jazz will develop naturally, and eventually he will settle for traditional, mainstream, modern, or all three, depending on his temperament, but no amount of cramming from jazz magazines will help this process, neither will Mr. Loveard's ill-founded insults.

The comments made by Mr. L. about improvisations, though doubtless sincere, are rather muddled. Sheet music is used extensively in modern arrangements and was used by the middle-period musicians in the 1930's, with hardly an exception. And it is always doubtful just to what extent a solo is improvised, for even if it appears spontaneous, no one can say if the acts of creation and execution are simultaneous. The essence of jazz is not so much improvisation, as freedom to improvise, the ability to alter an arrangement at a moment's notice. And surely "passing the lead" is as much a cover for lack of ideas as overblowing? I'd have thought it far better to blow a few top notes than to break down in the middle of a chorus, and leave some other unfortunate soul to pick up the threads.

Mr. L. finishes with a plea for financial support on behalf of the modernist movement, "a flourishing profession," as he calls it. The modern jazz musician enjoys a very comfortable income as a rule, especially if he works for Mr. Norman Granz. The men who need and deserve more backing from the public are the older, more mature musicians, born into the swing era, and now having difficulty in finding jobs because they are in a minority.

S. A. OSBORN (U.6 Sc.)


The aim of this expedition was to examine the coastal change in South-East Kent, and to make a quick general survey of the Isle of Thanet.

We met the contingents from the other schools of the area, in Deal, and travelled in our coaches, to the end of Deal Sea-front. Here we inspected Sandown Castle before setting out across the golf course towards Sandwich. We walked on the inland side of the large shingle ridge which runs northward from Deal. The size of this bar is constantly being increased by material thrown over from the sea, and we could see that the vegetation had gained far less hold on this bar than on the thin soil of the sand dunes behind it.

We reached the edge of Pegwell Bay where we paused to discuss the general effect of coastal erosion in the area, while we could still see a great deal of the coastline in question. We then once more boarded the coaches and set out towards the now dead port of Sandwich. A stop was made on this part of the journey to look at the North Stream which flows across the sand dunes and joins the Stour just before its entry into Pegwell Bay.

We then spent some time wandering around Sandwich. We were told how, owing to the rapid silting of the Stour, the port had waned in prosperity, and the Dutch-founded weaving trade had died out.

Our coaches then took us along the main road towards Ramsgate, as far as the Viking Ship. On this part of the journey we noticed the road ran along the top of the Stonar shingle spit. This spit has grown in a southerly direction, diametrically opposed to the spit along which we travelled from Deal. The reason for these spits growing in opposite directions is still, to a large extent, a geographical mystery.

As we passed along this road we were left in no doubt as to the use that is being made of the poor quality land on the edge of Pegwell Bay. We saw the Pfizer plant and the Astra works; also we noted how the land was being piled for further construction. We were told that these industries are greatly welcomed by the inhabitants of Ramsgate and Sandwich as a means of employment, near at hand, for the younger generation.

We stopped at the Viking Ship and went down to the shore. As we stood on the wave-cut platform at the base of the cliff we were shown the chalk layer as it rose to form the Isle of Thanet. We then walked southwards along a short spit that had been formed by a storm just after the last war. To us this spit may have appeared rather insignificant (it was barely 300 yards long), but it was a perfect example, in miniature, of the forming of a shingle bar and the infilling of the lagoon behind it. We also noted the fact that it had given shelter to the cliff behind it which was far less vertical than that further along the shore where there was no spit to prevent wave erosion.

We then re-entered the coaches and were taken for a brief tour of the island. We took the road leading along the former edge of the island, and passed through several villages, of which Minster was a typical example, which had once been thriving ports when ships could sail right round Thanet.

We then headed across the Island to Botany Bay; travelling via Manston airport, which although at the moment is unused, is yet another source of local prosperity.

At Botany Bay we inspected some fine examples of wave erosion. We walked along the wave-cut platform and noted the large stacks that had been separated from the cliff; one of these still kept a frail grip on the mainland with a narrow arch which we expected to fall at any minute.

Unfortunately we were a little behind time and the incoming tide caused a hurried exodus from the beach in order once more to join the coaches for the last leg of the journey which took us back to Ramsgate.

At Ramsgate sea-front we were told how, with the increasing size of ships, Ramsgate's importance as a port has diminished. It now serves only as a ship repair port for smaller vessels.

From Ramsgate we boarded the coaches to take us home, after what we all felt had been a thoroughly enjoyable and instructive day.


Society Notes

On Thursday, 19th March a contingent of our sixth formers was amongst many students welcomed by Miss N. Gostling, B.A., Headmistress of Folkestone Grammar School for Girls where this year's S.C.M. Conference was held.

After a brief introduction, our first speaker, Mr. Ninian Smart, who is a member of the Episcopal Church of Scotland and a teacher of Philosophy of Religion at King's College, London, spoke at some length on the question, What is the truth about man—is man's estimate of man enough?" We then split up into discussion groups and, prompted by the talk, prepared a few questions which, before the end of the morning, were put to Mr.

Lunch followed, after which the second session began with an eye-opening talk by Dr. Roger Pilkington, formerly a research geneticist at Cambridge—now a writer, who attempted to answer the question, "Do Science and Religion conflict." This was followed by an enjoyable hour during which questions were put to a panel of four which consisted of our two speakers and two other visitors. In this, both panel and floor took part enthusiastically. Time flew, however, and it was soon time for a closing act of worship which brought this enlightening conference to a fitting conclusion.



About thirty boys accompanied by Mr. Ruffell and Mr. King are making plans for a skiing holiday in Switzerland next April. They are going to a small village called Samnaun in the extreme east of Switzerland near the Austrian frontier. It is one of the highest (6,385 feet) and most remote villages in the country lying at the end of a long valley running northwards from the River Inn. It is an excellent centre for skiing as there is deep snow from November until the following May.

There will be ski lessons each morning and afternoon given by the professional instructors of the Samnaun Ski School, and boys who make sufficient progress can enter for the bronze medal test. After a few days practice boys will be able to make excursions on skis beyond the village and some should attain sufficient prowess to go up by the ski lift and ski down to the hotel.


The Phoenix Society continued its meetings throughout the winter term. Discussions were held on corporal punishment and on the conservative government, the former being criticized, the latter praised. Monsieur Faulques gave us a valuable survey of the French Political Scene and Ayling (ex lower sixth science) spoke on Railway Development in Kent. There has also been an evening of impromptu speeches and a Brains Trust—here Messrs. Clipsham, Marsh, Osborn, Pirt and Woodcock proved a stimulating panel.

Attendances vary; one week we reach the dizzy height of thirty, the next we fall to the inevitable half-dozen or so. There is a danger that even after two years in the Sixth we may leave school without being confronted by the challenge of modern issues and interests. I hope that those middle-school boys who heard Mr. Kirk's modest and sensible talk on Jazz this term will support the society next year. Those who attend rarely go away without food for thought.

R. BOOTH (Secretary).

C.C.F. NOTES R.N. Section

Since the last edition, work has proceeded steadily resulting in a small and compact but quite efficient section. One pleasing aspect is the great improvement in parade drill owing to increased emphasis on that subject.

During the Easter holiday, A/B. Hutchison attended a Naval Aviation Course at Lee-on-Solent and P/O. Shepherd, a Commando Course at Lympstone.

The activities of the present term are in the main of an outdoor nature, but some cadets are preparing for proficiency examinations. There is also to be an inspection by a naval staff officer on cadet duties, as well as the general inspection by the Mayor.

Annual training this summer will be in H.M.S. Watchful, a motor launch attached to the Chatham base. It is hoped that there will be a good attendance.

R.A.F. Section

The proficiency section are now working to some extent with the army section because the new proficiency syllabus requires that they should cover part of the Army Cert. A. part II. syllabus. The Advanced section also have a new syllabus to cover. 

Twenty-six cadets from the section attended annual camp at R.A.F. Waterbeach from April 4th to 11th. Every cadet had at least one flight in a Chipmunk and three N.C.O's. had a flight in a Meteor 7 jet trainer. Six cadets were awarded R.A.F. marksmen (.303) badges, and four A.T.C. (.22) marksmen badges. The camp facilities were very good indeed. There were billiard and table tennis tables and a juke box available for the use of cadets and everyone enjoyed the play presented by the camp dramatic society in the middle of the week. The radar equipment and armour of the Javelin fighters based at Waterbeach were shown and explained to us. We were well looked after throughout our stay and it was generally agreed that this camp was the best attended in recent years.

On Commonwealth Youth Sunday twenty cadets represented the R.A.F. Section in a combined parade.

W/O. I. G. H.

Army Section

Although the section still remains small in numbers we feel that the cadets are keen and interested. Six cadets enjoyed a two-day tented camp at the Warren during the Whitsun holidays.

Owing to the change in syllabus, R.A.F. cadets studying for the Proficiency examination have joined with the Army section for training. This enables field-work to be carried out on a larger scale and should be enjoyed by all.

Sgt. Morris attended a course on Mechanical Transport at Borden and was awarded Cert. T. with very high marks.

F.A.P. (Sgt.)


At long last we have started on the reclassification of the Library, using a concise form of the Bibliographical Classification of Henry E. Bliss. The task will inevitably be lengthy and may well cause some inconvenience before it is completed, but the lasting benefits should make the disruption worth while. Preliminary work on the new system has meant considerable delay in classifying this year's new books, but the energy thus set free has been used in the preparation of an author catalogue, which is already halfway to completion. It has been dull routine work, and those loyal souls who have persisted with it have earned our sincere gratitude.

During the summer holiday, the Library is to be re-decorated throughout, and it is to be hoped that the more pleasing setting will encourage a better treatment of the books.


Owing to the shortness of the Spring Term there have been fewer meetings of the Society than usual. Early in the term Mr. Marriott gave an introductory talk on the great French novelist, Honoré de Balzac. Members of the Cercle then read scenes from Balzac's novel "Le Pare Goriot" which were subsequently heard in dramatised form on recordings. The subject of the next meeting was Voltaire and his contribution to French literature. Mr. Woollett spoke on this topic and this was followed by readings illustrating Voltaire's visit to England.

The outstanding meeting, postponed until early in the Summer Term because of the illness of the speaker, was undoubtedly the visit of Madame Matley, a lecturer made available to us by the kindness of the French Embassy. She gave an excellent talk on the plays of Jean Anouilh, and, taking "Antigone" as an illustration, showed how he continues the classical tradition in French literature, while at the same time expressing a modern philosophy of his own. On this occasion several members of the Cercle Français de Douvres joined us and all agreed that this meeting gave us a unique opportunity of listening to perfect French by an extremely capable speaker.


    By this time we are usually well forward with a new play but owing to a more than usually extended season's programme and to the fact that senior puppeteers are now working for G.C.E. we are rather behindhand. However, the Club has a target, a play by the end of the Summer Term.

We have given sixteen performances during this school year, the last of which was actually the fiftieth performance by the Club.


Sports Section
1st XI

On the whole it was a most successful season: out of 13 matches played, nine were won, three lost, and 1 drawn. The defence was usually very safe, but particular credit must be given to the half-back line where Steer was outstanding. The forwards were particularly strong on the wings, and Birkimsher scored a lot of goals at centre forward.

Colours were awarded to Booth, Hudsmith, McManus, Pepper and Steer. McCaig, and his successor as captain, Burkimsher, were reawarded colours.

2nd XI


The games have been played with plenty of energy and spirit. A fair number of boys, including some newcomers to the school, have appeared in the side, and results have been quite successful. Credit is due to Mackie, who has captained the side by example; and he has been helped by Hopper, whose adventurous goalkeeping has often livened proceedings. Rees made great advances during the season and finally moved into the first eleven. One could not ask more of a team than that they gave of their best, behaved with credit to themselves and the school and won nearly all their matches.


September 20    v.   Borden Grammar   Home   Won   7—1
September 27 v. Harvey Grammar Away Lost 5—2
October 11 v. R. M., Deal Home Drawn   2—2
October 18 v. Faversham Grammar Away Won 5—0
October 25 v. Harvey Grammar Home Lost 5—2
November 13 v. St. Edmund's School Away Won 6—1
November 15 v. Simon Langton School   Home Won 6—2
November22 v. R. M., Deal Away Drawn 1—1
November 29 v. Simon Langton School Away Won 6—2

Played 9, Won 5, Drawn 2, Lost 2.

The following boys played at various times :—Hopper, Rees, Whetton, Williams, Mackie, Prue, Lewry, Clark, Thacker, Fordham, Periron, Graham, Fagg, Stevens, Wheeler, Wratten.

Under 15 XI


A variety of teams were turned out as "Under 15" depending on availability of players and different age limits for some games, but whatever the composition of the team, it invariably won the match and an unbeaten record was maintained throughout two terms.

It must be admitted that some of the opposition was decidedly weak which flattered our forwards and allowed the defence to commit errors without conceding many goals.

There were too many capable players to start analysing individuals; but mention should be made of Hodgkinson who distinguished himself in goal and never missed a match.

Teams were chosen from: Appleton, Beardsell, Bostock, Castle, Dunn, Fairclough, Futcher, Glanville, Hodgkinson, Hutt, Lewry, Mylchreest and Wheeler. Nadin, Shinfield, Ludlam and Woodruff also represented Dover in the local boys' team.

The climax of the season was the Chadwick Cup game against Hillside, Folkestone. The local cup final fervour and professional club ground were almost too much for our team which began in a very half-hearted way and were two goals down at the interval. However, in the second half, the team was transformed, playing much more direct and spirited football, and well deserved to win.


Astor Away   Won   6—0
Ashford G.S Home Won 6—0
Royal Marines Home Won 3—2
Ashford Grammar School   Home Won 14—0
St. Edmund's Away Won 5—3
Royal Marines Away Won 3—0
Duke of York's Away Won 6—0
Duke of York's Home Won 6—4

Chadwick Cup

Castlemount Away Won 11—0
Aylesham Home Won 5—1
Hillside, Folkestone F.C. Won 4—2


Under 14 XI


Owing to Mr. Payne's illness, the team had to struggle along with only the advice of various temporary managers. On the whole, they acquitted themselves fairly well.

Talent was a little thin and the attack could only be strengthened at the expense of the defence. Beer led the side well and made a good attacking wing-half. He had consistent support from Jones and Warriner whilst all the other players made some useful contributions.

Teams were chosen from:—Beer (Capt.), Eade, Jones, Briggs, Gittens, Packman, Clements, Hart, Warriner, Pratt, Thorpe, Smith, Larkins.


Harvey G. S Away   Lost
Faversham G. S Away Won
Harvey G. S Home Lost
St. Edmund's Home Lost
Simon Langron's   Home Won
Simon Langton's Away Lost
Duke of York's Away Won
Duke of York's Home Won
Castlemount Home Won


Under 13 XI


The under 13 XI enjoyed a successful season gaining the Intermediate Cup. Three memorable games were the away game at Chatham House (Ramsgate), the away game at Aylesham and finally the hard-fought Cup Final which was played on the Astor ground. At Ramsgate on a very hot day the team played well to gain victory against a then unbeaten side. Again at Aylesham although behind more than once we managed to finish the victors. In the Cup Final we made a very promising start and were soon leading 3-0, but the Castlemount team scored two goals before the close.



Home Away
Borden Grammar 0—2 (Lost)
Astor School 3—2 (Won) 1—1 (Drawn), 1—3 (Won)
Ashford Grammar 3—3 (Drawn) 6—6 (Drawn)
Chatham House 3—6 (Lost) 1—2 (Won)
Archer's Court 3—1 (Won)
Dane Court 5—2 (Won)

Cup Games

Home Away
1st Round   Walmer School 10—2 (Won)
Semi-Final Aylesham School 4—6 (Won)
Final Castlemount School   3—2 (Won) Played on neutral ground.


Under 12 XI

Dover Grammar School     11   Astor Avenue   2  
Dover Grammar School 9 Astor Avenue 3
Dover Grammar School 2 Chatham House 5
Dover Grammar School 1 Chatham House 1
Dover Grammar School 7 Castlemount 0
Dover Grammar School 9 Castlemount 2


The following boys played for the XI during the season: Hallam (Capt.), Lawrence, Piqué (Vice-Capt.), Silkstone, Gore, Boyes, Shinfield, Williams, Briggs, Glanville, Rubbins, Gibbs, Friend, and Dunster.

Glanville, the centre-forward, scored 25 goals during the season.

1st XV

Winning four of their six matches, the fifteen enjoyed a satisfactory season in which they played some entertaining rugby. The fixture list was curtailed as three matches were cancelled by the opponents and this also meant that all but one of the games were played against adult sides.

The team was handicapped by an injury to the captain, Mackie, in the first match which prevented him playing again until the last game of the season. McCaig acted as captain in the other games.

The season started with the team playing good open rugby and the first two matches produced more good three-quarter movements than are normally seen in several seasons. If they could not maintain this standard they, nevertheless, tried to play an attacking game at all times.

At full back, Brady became very safe in his catching and kicking and, of the other backs, McCaig, Williams and Steer all made good runs whilst Pane proved a general utility man.

The scrum played well together, getting at least their fair share of the ball, and they stood up well against their heavier opponents. The line-out work was good, Hopper and Johnson again being the mainstays, while in the loose nearly all the forwards were prominent at one time or another, not least Gibb who was nobly released by the Under 16 XV for some matches.

Teams were chosen from:—Mackie (Capt.)†, Ayres, Bloomfield, Brady*, Clark, Coles, Gibb, Hopper*, D. Johnsont†, P. Johnson, Marsh*, McCaig†, Moore, Morris, Murton*, Pirt, Pane, Steer, Wheeler and Williams.


†- Colours. * Colours reawarded.


School   1   Canterbury Extra "A"   3  
Thanet Wanderers "A"   15 School 9
School 5 Dover "A" 22
Dover "A" 6 School 9
R.M. Boys, Deal 3 School 21
School 13 Old Pharosians 9
Played 6, Won 4, Lost 2.

Under 16 XV


Frost curtailed opportunities for trial games and after injury in a house match before the first school fixture, Hudsmith (the captain elect), was out of action for the rest of the term, so the team was ill prepared for the opening match on February 7th, but achieved a draw despite some poor tackling.

As the season proceeded the players settled down as smoothly as could be expected. Duffy and Wheeler served us well at half back where their speed and initiative provided good opportunities for the three-quarters. The inexperienced pack were usually adequate to hold the opposition but lacked fire and even energy at times, though Hunt and Corby made good use of their height in the lines-out.

The team was ably led by Duffy but it never developed real cohesion and failed to inspire confidence; this was not altogether surprising, considering the almost complete lack of competition for places in the XV.

Influenza and other factors caused our opponents to cancel three games.

Teams were selected from:—Rees, Dixon, Howard, Bevan, Hutchison, Wheeler, Duffy, Gibb, Lewis, Corby, Wilson, Hint, Thomas, Bell, Dunn, Pitcairn, Graves, C., and Futcher.




February 7 Deal Secondary Modern School (H) Drawn 5—5
February 28 Deal Secondary Modern School (A) Won 8—3
February 7 Junior Leaders, R.E. (H) Lost 8—14
February 11 Junior Leaders, R.E. (A) Won 3—0

Under 15 XV


For many boys, this team provided their first real experience of playing rugby, and even after several practice games, it was only in the first school match that many of them became aware of the actual pattern of the game. In the Dane Court team, they found more experienced opponents and the school did well to lose by such a narrow margin. Unfortunately, a much depleted side took the field for the return game and was soundly beaten.

Three matches were cancelled, the remaining games were all convincingly won, the team gaining confidence and its play improving with each successive game.

The forwards were the most prominent part of the team, especially Alvey, the captain, Grigsby and Hodgkinson. They generally had the better of the scrums and line-outs and were responsible for a good proportion of the points scored. Fairclough and Woodruff developed into a reliable pair of halves. Although competent as individuals, the backs usually stood still to receive the ball; consequently, they rarely managed to make ground without resort to kicking.

The team was chosen from:—Alvey, Appleton, Boys, Beer, Cairns, Castle, Dunn, Fairclough, Gardner, Glanville, Grigsby, Hodgkinson, Hutt, Johnson, Kinnaird, Ludlam, Nadin, Pearson, Shinfield, Smith, and Woodruff.


Dane Court   Home   Lost   3—6
Dane Court Away Lost 3—14
Aylesham Home Won 15—0
Hythe Home Won 24—3
Sandwich Away Won 25—3


As in recent years, the competition was held in two sections, junior and senior, the latter being judged by Mr. P. Baxter, the K.E.C. physical education adviser.

House Gym. captains were responsible for devising parts of the work and for the practising of teams. This preparation was carried out with varying efficiency, which showed up clearly in the scoring.


Seniors: 1st Priory 443 points
2nd Astor 442 points
3rd Frith 432 points
4th Park 420 points
Individual (Pascall Cup) B. J. Clark.
Juniors: 1st Astor 277 points
Priory 277 points
3rd Frith 256 points
4th Park 222 points

Individual: P. Jones.

House Notes


At the time of writing these notes we are second in the House Championship, with Park very little ahead of us, and Priory even less behind us. This position is hardly satisfactory since with a little more effort in cross-country running and better luck in rugger we might have been well ahead in first place. As in the past, it has again been left to the 'faithful few' whilst the rest of the House has been quite complacent and even uninterested. This attitude has been very evident this term by the large number of boys who refuse to try standards, but are quite prepared to criticise those who do.

We finished a very close second to Priory in the soccer championship, and did well in the P.T. competition, tying for first place with Priory in the Junior Section. My thanks go to Peall and Todhunter for organising the junior and senior teams respectively.

Responsibility for the success of the 1st XV fell upon Hudsmith, Wheeler and Williams. An unfortunate injury to Hudsmith in the first match, however, weakened the three-quarters, and from then on the team suffered various illnesses and injuries so that it was never at full strength. The second XV lost all their matches, partly owing to the inexperience of some players. and partly to boys not condescending to turn up.

A lack of enthusiasm for running in the Powell Cup was evident early on in the term, and as the date of the race drew nearer most boys, with a few exceptions, refused to do any training. Consequently the House came third. Notable for a good effort in the bad conditions were two fifth formers, Hudsmith and Thomas.

As yet this term nothing conclusive has been decided. As far as standards are concerned, we are second to Park. The House has, with the exception of Wheeler, a severe shortage of good athletes. Standards are intended not for the brilliant athlete, but rather for the average boy. Most of the standards gained so far this term have been by the faithful few, although some enthusiasm is evident in the junior sections.

In conclusion, I should like to thank all those who have helped to bring the House into second position at this stage, and ask for a renewed effort during the remainder of the school year. We have several good swimmers in the House, and should do well in the swimming sports, but our cricket, as usual, remains a doubtful quantity. An extra effort in both these events could well bring us the House Championship for the first time in several years.




Since the last issue of the school magazine Frith's position in the House Championship has seriously declined. This state is owing largely to the attitude of the senior members of the House who will not accept their responsibilities and will not make any special effort to help the House.

As evidence of this attitude there were incomplete teams in all six of the House rugby matches and consequently we gained only 11%, thanks to two victories by the Second XV, and finished in fourth position.

The response in the Powell Cup was much better and with several younger members of the team gaining high positions we were able to take second place. With such talent coming forward the house may do better in next year's cross-country race and gain its former position in this sphere.

In the P.T. competition we gained third place in both the senior and the junior sections.

With the handicap of the Autumn term's results and the relatively poor results of the spring term we now lie a distant fourth, over 30 points behind the leader and 25 points behind the third house.

If we are to make up this lee-way then we must put all our efforts into the summer term's activities. In athletics standards we are lying third, mainly as a result of the points gained by the under 12½ and the 12½—14 age groups. I should like to congratulate these boys on their splendid response to sports day entries and I hope that their enthusiasm will be well rewarded.

We have started the cricket season well with two victories in the second form house matches. Let us hope that we are able to maintain the standard that the juniors have set us. I cannot do better than to end these notes with the emphasis that all house activities depend upon the combined effort of all members of the house and not just a few individuals.





At the time of writing we are leading in the House Championship; the lead is slight, but I hope that when these notes are read we shall already have come first in this inter-house competition. The main effort now needed is in athletics and swimming, in the former we are quite well represented, and in the latter we have a keen nucleus, but this unfortunately has little backing. Only one cricket match has been played so far. This was a Second Form XI match which we won.

Last term we tied with Priory for the Ebbw Vale Rugby Cup. The 1st XV won two and drew one of its matches, showing a good team spirit and determination to win throughout. The Junior XV won one and lost two of its matches. After a poor start, the juniors developed some spirit and determination and fought hard in their last two matches. However, there was one serious fault, namely that though one or two players were prepared to tackle hard and low, the majority were reluctant to do so, and any big opposition ran through the defence with ease. Unless players learn that they will not get hurt through tackling hard and low, the team with a couple of hefty players will run away with the match.

The house performance in the Powell Cup was very good indeed. We gained the first three places, owing to the excellent running of Brady, Cox and Ludlan, and these were well backed up, so that we gained first place in the inter-house placings. Unfortunately, though those involved tried hard we came fourth in both the senior and junior P.T. competitions.

The Juniors, as usual, have been very keen in all their activities. The Seniors, unfortunately, have often proved reluctant to exert themselves, being content to leave the work to a few who can be relied upon to try their hand at everything. The house position could be vastly improved if the Seniors provided an all-out effort especially in athletics standards.

I hope that next year Park Seniors will show as much enthusiasm for House activities as the juniors always do, for without this backing, the absence of one or two "regulars" proves crippling in any inter-house activity. Inter-house competition must involve team work, and must not depend upon one or two outstanding personalities.




Since the last House notes were written we have slipped from first to third position; this is largely owing to the fact that only 7% was gained in the Powell Cup Race. Unfortunately this was not only the result of lack of talent but of lack of effort, particularly on the part of the Seniors. In the P.T. competition Priory finished in first place and we also won the Rugby Cup, thanks chiefly to the efforts of the 2nd XV.

If everyone puts a maximum effort into the remaining activities we should be able to overcome the slight lead held by Park and Astor.

Cricket, swimming and athletics are the three summer activities. The response for swimming has been most pleasing and our chances of victory are favourable. In cricket too we should manage first or second place. Thus, the performance in athletics will prove vital. The enthusiasm of the under 14 age group has been very encouraging. However in the 14-16 group the response has been less satisfactory, in fact only four boys from this section gained standards, and entries for sports days are also low. Results from sixth form boys are a little better.

Thanks are extended to those who performed so well in P.T. and Rugby, but a great effort is needed if Priory is to overhaul Park and Astor and win the House Championship for the third successive year.



G.C.E., O.—General Certificate of Education, Ordinary Level. Passed in number of
subjects shown in brackets.

ALLEN, P. J. : To Hemel Hempstead.

ALLTIMES, R. L. : To Portsmouth.

AYLING, K. : G.C.E., O. (7). To National Provincial Bank.

COOK, B. W. : G.C.E., O. (4). To Civil Service.

CORRY, J. : G.C.E., O. (1). To Smye-Rumsby.

DIXON, R. : To Newcastle.

FRENCH, R. D. : To RN.

FRIEND, J. L. C. : G.C.E., O. (4). To G.P.O., Deal.

GAINES, R. J. : To Ashford Grammar School.

GROVES, R. J. : G.C.E., O. (5). To Inland Revenue

HALL, C. C. P. : G.C.E., O. (5).

HOYLE, S. : To Sowerby, Yorks.

KENNEDY, M. J. : G.C.E., O. (2). To London.

KNIGHT, M. B. : To Canterbury.


McPHERSON, I. S. : To Archers Court Secondary School.

MINTER, R. E. R. : G.C.E., O. (4). To Accountancy.

MORLEY, A. : To Dymchurch.

O'BRIEN : To Dover Yacht Company.

PIERCE, M. J. : To G.P.O., Dover.

SMITHSON, P. W. : G.C.E., O. (5). To Lloyds Bank.

SPOONER, R. J. : GEC., O. (1). To Morleys.

TANTON, J. : To greengrocery.

WRATTEN, J. H. : G.C.E., O. (2). To Estimating.

Old Pharosian Notes

When these notes reach you I expect the A.G.M. and Dinner will be over. Generally of course this issue of the Pharos reaches you in July and gives plenty of warning regarding the Annual Meeting. However, the printers' strike has settled that for this year.

The Annual General Meeting and Dinner have been arranged for the 17th October, 1959, when it is hoped that Sir Clifford Jarrett will accept the Presidency and Mr. David Bradley will address us at the Dinner. Come if you can.

The Re-Union will be held at the School on New Year's Eve, from 8 p.m. until 12.30 a.m., at a cost of 6/- per person. The Committee has spent much time in deliberation regarding the Re-Union and it feels that the losses incurred during the past years are not justifiable. Last year there were only one hundred people present and twenty of these were boys still at school. The Committee is reluctant to cancel this function but will do so if support is not forthcoming. It is up to the individual members to show their desire for a Re-Union by signifying their intention to be present before the day of the Re-Union.

The membership of the Association is also causing some concern. Over four thousand men have passed through the school and only 5% of them are members of the Old Pharosians. It is up to you.

These are dismal notes but I feel that the time has come to put the position before you. Ask any Old Boy you know to join or re-join the Association. If you do we will not be thinking of discontinuing the Re-Union but thinking how we can get three or four such functions in during the year.

Hon. Sec.   


P. C. Clements, having been in charge of the children's library at Deal and Sandwich for some years has now been appointed Senior Assistant Librarian at the St. Alban's College of Further Education.

Parents' Association

The November concert kindly given by 'The Minerva Orchestra,' in aid of the Piano Fund, was not very well supported, owing no doubt in some part to the inclement weather on that evening. Those present enjoyed the varied programme provided and the proceeds enabled a further £5 to be added to the fund. The Beetle Drive and Social in February, unhappily coincided with the 'Flu epidemic,' and as a result we were quite a small party—rather lost in the school hall. However, a happy evening was spent by those who attended.

The Association held its usual sale of outgrown clothing and sports gear at 'Open Evening'—and although we were unable to satisfy all requirements—this 'sale' appears to be appreciated. We also had quite a number of new members to the Association. I regret to report that membership this year is below last year's total—being only 18% representation. May I appeal to all parents to join—we could do so much more for the School and the boys, if we had more support. The annual subscription is 2/6 and may be sent to the Hon. Secretary or direct to the school. The Jumble Sales held in May were not quite so successful as last year. The committee would like to thank all the ladies who helped and all who contributed articles for sale. Just over £20 was added to the Piano Fund. The Annual General Meeting will be held on October 1st and we are hoping to arrange an 'Any Questions' session after the business. Please make a special effort to attend; you will be very welcome.

G. M. HUDSMITH,       
Hon. Sec./ Treasurer.