Heads get in spin over schools plan
Grammar anger at rivals' bid for 'wide ability' tag
A MAJOR row has broken out in Dover over the proposed upgrading of two secondary schools.
The headteacher of the boys' grammar has slammed the scheme as as 'bumbledom' while his opposite number at the girls' grammar has formally objected to the plan.
The proposals - likely to be approved by Kent Education Committee tomorrow (Friday) - arc to upgrade Astor and Archers Court from 'high ability' schools for pupils aged 11-16 to wide ability schools taking pupils up to 18.
Wide ability schools are similar to comprehensives in that they cater for students of all abilities including those selected for grammar.
Dover Girls Grammar School and Dover Grammar School for Boys stand to lose pupils who would otherwise have gone to them. Boys' grammar head Neil Slater slammed the move as 'bumbledom' which could lead to an educational free-for-all in Dover and will confuse parents.
Girls' grammar head Elizabeth Lewis, has expressed 'serious resolutions' about the proposals to Kent Education Committee.
Unlike Miss Lewis, Mr Slater has not formally objected to the plans, but he told the Express he was not happy about them.
He said: "This could mean an educational free-for-all in Dover. What concerns me is that high schools arc being allowed to invade our territory but nothing is being done so that grammars can invade theirs.
"This just causes confusion among parents. We are supposed to be operating a selective system, but because of the sheer bumbledom of Kent education planners we do not have consistency."
Mr Slater did not think his school would lose many students to Astor or Archers Court when the changes take place, explaining: "Astor have had a sixth form for years, so we have had to compete for pupils for some while, and most parents of grammar standard children will want them to go to a grammar school."
Miss Lewis was off sick earlier this week but deputy head David Broadbridge said he shared her deep concern, he told the Express: "We feel that this is just diluting the academic excellence which grammars provide.
"It is all very well for other schools to have sixth forms but there are only so many sixth form courses you can provide for pupils, and that could become a problem."
"The county seems to be selling an agenda here but doesn't seem to know what it is."
Mr Broadbridge did not fear the grammars would lose pupils and added: "We have a selection system in Dover and, at the end of the day if parents and employers are looking for the schools providing the best academically, then they know where to come."
Astor (1,340 pupils) offers 25 A level courses and is already a 'wide ability' school in all but name. but the 844-pupil Archers Court currently offers 12 A Level courses and is at an earlier stage of development.
Their applications were provisionally approved by KEC in March and went out to public consultation, which showed parents were overwhelmingly in favour. Of 942 Astor parents who responded, 912 were in favour with 13 against, and of 538 Archers Court parents who replied, 424 approved and four did not. The matter goes back to KEC tomorrow where with both schools' local education committee members, county councillors Gwyn Prosser and Keith Sansum supporting it, it is likely to be agreed.
A report from south and cast Kent education director Keith Jennings, recommending approval, says the schools' upgrading would ensure that parents of pupils in Dover have the widest possible choice and diversity.
From KEC, the applications go to Education Secretary Gillian Shephard and, if approved, Astor and Archers Court will officially become 'wide ability' schools from September next year.
Astor head Chris Russell said: "The proposed change in our status will have no effect at all on the grammars."