Students attacked with baseball bats. Gangs ruin school event
By Graham Tutthill
GANGS of "ruders" broke up a school event at the weekend after smashing windows and attacking youngsters.
Parents are now calling for action by the police and are planning to attend a Dover Town Council meeting next week to demand that something is done.
Earlier this year, the Mercury reported on incidents in which gangs of "rude" boys and girls caused trouble in the town centre and attacked other youngsters.
The latest incident was at Dover Boys' Grammar School on Friday night when a Battle of the Bands was due to take place.
But it had hardly got started when a fire alarm was set off, and the 300 youngsters attending the event were evacuated.
Outside they were confronted by gangs of "ruders" armed with baseball bats, who smashed windows and started threatening the youngsters and the school staff.
Police were called and as patrols arrived, the yobs dispersed, leaving one 12-year-old boy with injuries to his knee.
It is understood that he had been chased and cornered by some members of the gangs, and was hit with the baseball bats.
The event was then abandoned as parents arrived to pick up their sons and daughters.
A police spokesman said statements have been taken, and investigations were continuing to try to identify those responsible
Anyone with information is asked to contact the police on 01304, 240055.
The school's head teacher Julia Bell was away this week, as it was the half-term holiday, and was not available for comment.
One parent, who ask not to be named, told the Mercury: "We have been in contact with town councillors, and we will be, attending a meeting on Tuesday at which the police chief is expected to be present.
"We will be asking what is being done about this sort of anti-social behaviour."