Grammar pupils to lose free travel
One in four schools could be affected by Paul Francis
FREE transport for thousands of children at grammar and church schools is set to be scrapped.
Kent County Council is to consult on plans that would mean pupils no longer get fully subsidised transport if they opt for a selective or denominational school that is not their closest school.
From 2012, parents will be expected to make a contribution to the costs - possibly as much as half. The current subsidy is worth, on average, about £400 a year.
The move is likely to prove contentious with many parents, who often take into account whether they will get support when deciding which school to apply to.
KCC says it needs to take steps to cut its home-to-school transport budget, which costs more than £14m a year for 19,000 children at mainstream schools.
Around half of that is spent on support for grammar and church schools.
Under the council’s existing discretionary arrangements, children can get help with transport costs where the grammar or denominational school is more than three miles from their home.
The move would help the authority save £1.5m but will prompt questions about the potential impact on parental choice.
It is also possible that pupils who are already at grammar or church schools and qualify for support will also have to start paying from 2012. In a statement, the county council said: “KCC is keen to make sure that parents are able to choose their preferred school.
“However, the massive financial constraints faced by the public sector cannot be ignored. It is proposed from September 2012 a contributory fee be introduced to help towards the cost.”
The statement added the charge would be waived for children from low-income families or eligible for free school meals.
The shake-up will not affect those families who qualify for statutory transport help.
KCC has a legal duty to provide free home-to-school transport for those attending their nearest school where “an available walking route” is more than two miles for children under eight years and three miles for children aged eight and above.
Consultation began on Tuesday and will run until March 31.
One in four schools could be affected
THE policy change could affect as many as one in four of the county's secondary schools. With 33, Kent has the largest number of grammar schools In the country and a number of church schools, including St Edmund's in Dover.
Primary schools would also be affected, but the impact is likely to be less pronounced. KCC is following many other authorities in proposing to withdraw the subsidy. Last year, East Sussex county council ended its support for transport for denominational schools.